Page 159: Bedroom Eyes

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Mayhem

Page 159: Bedroom Eyes

Post by Mayhem »

The facial expressions seem kind of odd without the shading.
Particle beam cannons are mass drivers :D
Fireblade's character sheet: '-1: Telepathically "talks" in sleep' 8-)

DavalKatro

Re: Page 159: Bedroom Eyes

Post by DavalKatro »

Uh oh . These alien females look like they have an agenda.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Spiral is promptly abusing that the lack of shading makes her hair the only one standing out.
I mean, look at Cockscomblade and Tempo has turned into the silent girl nobody talks to.

Post by 088 »

Cue psychic harem argument over who gets to cuddle with Alex.
Meanwhile our hero is suddenly really confused as to why Beryl and Spiral are trying to murder each other with the sheer hate in their eyes.

EdwardSteed

Post by EdwardSteed »

Do Patreons get the page without the right side cropped out?

volrath77

Post by volrath77 »

"It's a trap!"

I can't help but think that this is related to whole Historian & datapad a few pages back. The timing is rather suspicious when everyone seemed to come into the hold with their sleeping bags (maybe to distract Jardin) and who knows what Beryl and Tempo are TP conversing about. Somehow, this all smacks of some sort of secret trust test to me and I think Jardin is about to fail it.

novius

Post by novius »

Werra wrote:Spiral is promptly abusing that the lack of shading makes her hair the only one standing out.
I mean, look at Cockscomblade and Tempo has turned into the silent girl nobody talks to.
Though, Tempo definitely looks like she's handing out some last instructions. If these ladies have some agenda with the sudden change in sleeping arrangements, I'd put it on her behalf. Two reasons I can think of - either she wants to see how Alex would react to a number of different Loroi in his presence, or she got the idea that Alex and Beryl got awfully close to each other (especially after Talon surely groused about being shoved away by an over-protective Beryl) and foisted the other Loroi on them as chaperones.

entity2636

Post by entity2636 »

Hmm.. and again we have Tempo doing her "I/ME" underlining gesture. In all seriousness, I do wonder what they are talking about, what is it that she believes she should be doing instead of Beryl... No, I'm not thinking about *that* :lol:

novius

Post by novius »

entity2636 wrote:Hmm.. and again we have Tempo doing her "I/ME" underlining gesture. In all seriousness, I do wonder what they are talking about, what is it that she believes she should be doing instead of Beryl... No, I'm not thinking about *that* :lol:
Judging from Tempo's expression, I'd wager it is something starting with "Do I need to remind you...", or something like that. She looks definitely displeased over something, and since she's directly addressing Beryl, it must've been something Beryl told her, or (in Tempo's mindset) failed to do.

And yes, when it comes to that, Tempo might even be less inclined to believe that human men don't have the same biological pressures than their Loroi counterparts - we do know that Beryl already had a hard time imagining it and was awfully quick (by human standards) to offer for 'arrangements'. Tempo may try to test out her belief with simply adding more Loroi into the mix - after all, in the case Tempo is right with her assumption (and we know she isn't, so she'd be in for some disappointment), that thing would give her a firm hold over Alex.

EdwardSteed

Post by EdwardSteed »

Judging from Tempo's expression, I'd wager it is something starting with "Do I need to remind you...", or something like that. She looks definitely displeased over something, and since she's directly addressing Beryl, it must've been something Beryl told her, or (in Tempo's mindset) failed to do.
Well Beryl was the one who decided/insisted on leaving Alex alone and unsupervised in the cargo bay.

In addition to the basic issue of "You left the foreigner whose loyalties are still unknown alone with all his communication gear and possibly even weapons?" there's the fact that the Loroi see their males as somewhat child like in their mental maturity. It's like Tempo finding out that Beryl left a rambunctious six year old alone in a closet full of dangerous cleaning supplies; "Well I made him promise me real hard that he wouldn't touch anything" isn't a good enough excuse for leaving the precious male in possible danger like that.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

EdwardSteed wrote: ...there's the fact that the Loroi see their males as somewhat child like in their mental maturity...
Is that an established fact? Tempo has had a couple of intensive conversations with Alex revolving around war, politics, and touching on philosophy. I have great doubt that she would see him as a six year-old.

CJSF

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I think the sleeping arrangement of everyone coming into this room was clear from the beginning.
This room is the best shielded one, to hide the IR-emissions from people aboard.
It's jsut that Alex and Beryl were the first to be sent tehre, because Alex is not of their crew, and tehrefore least useful in getting the rest to storage, and food/water supplies out of freezing danger...

Now they're coming with the sleeping party stuff, to make this room a cozy home until someone can arrange a pick-up.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

EdwardSteed

Post by EdwardSteed »

Is that an established fact? Tempo has had a couple of intensive conversations with Alex revolving around war, politics, and touching on philosophy. I have great doubt that she would see him as a six year-old.
It's not really the intelligence part but the maturity. Some quotes from the Insider:
For their part, Loroi males are very emotional and feel very intensely, but they are often fickle and changeable, with short attention spans.
It's similar in some ways to how human adults treat children: we're programmed to be fiercely protective of them, and we often treat them in a patronizing manner, but we don't expect adult behavior from children, and so when they act silly or need help, there is rarely a value judgment attached to that.

Another analogue to consider is the status of a European gentlewoman of the 18th century; women had rigidly defined roles and very little power or personal freedom, but courtly manners required men to defer to women, at least socially, to a large degree. Men had a patronizing attitude toward women, perhaps, but not necessarily a negative one.
So Tempo may see Alex as a very intelligent creature, but because he looks a lot like a Loroi male she may also be biased into thinking he doesn't have the self discipline needed to look out for himself (some of his own cocky behavior may have even reinforced this view). For her this wouldn't even be a negative (since they expect this of their males) which is why she might be upset with Beryl but not him. We actually saw some of this patronizing behavior from Beryl at the beginning of the chapter when she says she's going to take care of him like she's talking to a little boy being taken on a field trip.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

I hate to say this how can they not be biased toward Alex he is a male and they have lived this way for as far back as they can count. He is a male they had to rebuild and rescue

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:I hate to say this how can they not be biased toward Alex (...)
Their centuries of experience with males of other species?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

"Bedroom eyes"

Werra

Post by Werra »

I hope Alex brought enough band-aids.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

boldilocks wrote:Image

"Bedroom eyes"
Hahaha, you should be concerned if those are the eyes you get in the bedroom.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

I dunno, am I reaching at this point?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

CF2 wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Image

"Bedroom eyes"
Hahaha, you should be concerned if those are the eyes you get in the bedroom.
"Omae wa mou, Satisfaido!"
"NANI?"