Page 159: Bedroom Eyes

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: Page 159: Bedroom Eyes

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It is my experience that people who are more self confident tend to be less mindful of their own involuntary behavior. Certainly not always, but there does seem to be a certain personality where they don't really feel the need for critical self examination. I wouldn't know how being telepathic would influence that, though, as I'd assume people with that degree of inescapable honesty would be more aware of what they're sending.

Werra

Post by Werra »

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves yet. The page isn't done yet and will look different with shading applied. Or we should rather worry about Alex panic filled eyes at seeing blankets.

They're also floating in Zero G. They all move with their butt up in the air, especially Alex. How else was Spiral going to look moving and talking like that? She was also included by Talon, when Alex offered her to be on first name basis. How nice of her to share. Now that she isn't busy piloting, that might explain some of the apparent change in attitude.

The real question is how will they put down the blankets and mattresses in Zero G? Shouldn't they be floating away at the slightest touch?

danuis

Post by danuis »

I'm hoping for a cultural-exchange pow-wow. The Loroi and Humanti can talk a bit; reveal a bit about the 'verse. Especially since Mickey Mouse of all things is an apparent taboo!
Werra wrote:We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves yet. The page isn't done yet and will look different with shading applied. Or we should rather worry about Alex panic filled eyes at seeing blankets.

They're also floating in Zero G. They all move with their butt up in the air, especially Alex. How else was Spiral going to look moving and talking like that? She was also included by Talon, when Alex offered her to be on first name basis. How nice of her to share. Now that she isn't busy piloting, that might explain some of the apparent change in attitude.

The real question is how will they put down the blankets and mattresses in Zero G? Shouldn't they be floating away at the slightest touch?
Velcro and straps and magnets, like today.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:The real question is how will they put down the blankets and mattresses in Zero G? Shouldn't they be floating away at the slightest touch?
It's not zero G; the shuttle is tumbling about its long axis.

novius

Post by novius »

It's a slow tumble, enough to give a sense of direction, but still low enough to float for quite some distance. Beryl did sit down quite comfortably, and the items (including the projector can) didn't float around freely, but I do think an involuntary movement in sleep could send someone spinning, unless the sleeping bag had been attached to the surface by any means.

But that's the least of the problems, not worth explicit mentioning, unless it becomes important.

And, that "wtf?" look in Alex's eyes on the third panel? Priceless. :) Especially in conjunction with the last panel, and Alex having learned just before that Loroi don't have a strong notion of modesty... well, apart of being touched, that is.

And on that, both Beryl and Talon were already quick to go past this inhibition....

Maybe Tempo's look (and sanzai) towards Beryl was one of concern, that she indeed expects the assembled Loroi getting a bit handsy on Alex?

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

novius wrote:It's a slow tumble, enough to give a sense of direction, but still low enough to float for quite some distance. Beryl did sit down quite comfortably, and the items (including the projector can) didn't float around freely, but I do think an involuntary movement in sleep could send someone spinning, unless the sleeping bag had been attached to the surface by any means.
Actually in free floating rotating shuttle after just half a turn all free-floating objects will be washed up to one of the walls. Just imagine that you are floating, and shuttle revolves around you - you will be hit by moving wall quite soon. So if you grab the wall, it would continuously push you, that feels just like gravity.
Outsider in Russian

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

novius wrote:It's a slow tumble, enough to give a sense of direction, but still low enough to float for quite some distance. Beryl did sit down quite comfortably, and the items (including the projector can) didn't float around freely, but I do think an involuntary movement in sleep could send someone spinning, unless the sleeping bag had been attached to the surface by any means.

But that's the least of the problems, not worth explicit mentioning, unless it becomes important.

And, that "wtf?" look in Alex's eyes on the third panel? Priceless. :) Especially in conjunction with the last panel, and Alex having learned just before that Loroi don't have a strong notion of modesty... well, apart of being touched, that is.

And on that, both Beryl and Talon were already quick to go past this inhibition....

Maybe Tempo's look (and sanzai) towards Beryl was one of concern, that she indeed expects the assembled Loroi getting a bit handsy on Alex?
Consider her position:
- trapped in a shuttle with most systems including communications desactivated in order to avoid enemy detection.
- with an almost looking male Loroi ambassador who may or may not be an Umiak agent.
- and a bunch of stressed soldiers in need of "relief".
- also, she is the one in charge.

To say she is having a bad day is an understandment. If Stillstorm could see her right now...
Last edited by raistlin34 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

raistlin34 wrote:
To say she is having a bad day is an understandment. If Stillstorm could see her right now...

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

But I don't envy Stillstorm either.
Her taskforce has to do everything to slow down the attack, and warn the next systems...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of wager regarding Alex, among the various Loroi who seem interested in him. Though probably not what anyone expects.

zircher

Post by zircher »

If I were to hazard a guess, can he stay rational or will he be another emotional rutting male? Most of the crew have seen him, but few actually know him.

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

zircher wrote:If I were to hazard a guess, can he stay rational or will he be another emotional rutting male? Most of the crew have seen him, but few actually know him.
These are basically every Loroi we know of other than Stillstorm who have ever spoken to or interacted with Alex.

zircher

Post by zircher »

Yes, but only two of those have had extended (verbal) conversations and I assumed the third is briefed on anything security related. But having said that, I have no idea how much they have shared telepathically. It might be one of those creepy, "We've just met, but you're continuing a conversation I've had with another person kind of thing." :-)

novius

Post by novius »

Dahak wrote:
zircher wrote:If I were to hazard a guess, can he stay rational or will he be another emotional rutting male? Most of the crew have seen him, but few actually know him.
These are basically every Loroi we know of other than Stillstorm who have ever spoken to or interacted with Alex.
I've already mentioned this in a different thread, that this could be intentional as well - if someone wants Alex to 'disappear', better do it with all witnesses and evidence as well, leave no traces behind. After all, Alex's mere existence is a threat to the status quo within the Union.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

novius wrote: I've already mentioned this in a different thread, that this could be intentional as well - if someone wants Alex to 'disappear', better do it with all witnesses and evidence as well, leave no traces behind. After all, Alex's mere existence is a threat to the status quo within the Union.
But then Loroi should also destroy the Barsam courier.
Outsider in Russian

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

SVlad wrote:
novius wrote: I've already mentioned this in a different thread, that this could be intentional as well - if someone wants Alex to 'disappear', better do it with all witnesses and evidence as well, leave no traces behind. After all, Alex's mere existence is a threat to the status quo within the Union.
But then Loroi should also destroy the Barsam courier.
They could leave that job to the Umiak to finish - however there would still be plenty of other witnesses left in Strikegroup 51 that would have to forget the costly fight over the wreck of the Bellarmine in the Naam-system.

Werra

Post by Werra »

If enforced secrecy in human society is any indication -which isn't a given- those Loroi would know to keep quiet if they value their careers.

novius

Post by novius »

Zarya wrote:They could leave that job to the Umiak to finish - however there would still be plenty of other witnesses left in Strikegroup 51 that would have to forget the costly fight over the wreck of the Bellarmine in the Naam-system.
They just saw a wreck of alien make, and wouldn't even know about its intrinsic value or danger. I'm pretty much sure the Loroi follow a 'scorched earth' strategy, and that would include nuking everything to not to let the Umiak even guess whether they picked up something of value or not. So... to the common Loroi crewman, they stumbled across a wreck, and had to follow procedure once the Enemy showed up. Case closed, back to the daily grind.

The Barsam? Well... they speak, and whoever doesn't use sanzai is not quite trustworthy in Loroi eyes. So who is to believe? The Admirality saying (or sending) that they haven't found anything of worth, or the lone Barsam telling a rather outlandish tale of an alien looking similar to the Loroi which said Loroi made disappear?

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

The staff on the bridge of Tempest would be better informed, and I'd also go with the innate (unhuman!) "honesty" the Loroi have. It takes effort to hide information and I see no indication in the story that such an effort is made. When picking over the remains of the wreck the Tempest may even have actively shared information on what they'd found and why there was a reason to stick around. Just lingering in a dangerous battle zone - in which another strikegroup had been ambushed - would otherwise not have made much sense for the commanding officers of the other vessels.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

People seem to forget that 'Prophet's Reason' has already reported everything there was to report to Azimol and the Union in general. Considering the workings of the Barsam and the part they take in the war effort (the Agumo Conference providing courier and other 'services' to the Union) it stands to reason that Mozin has already sent plenty of reports to every last Barsam polity he knows about. Hell some preachers may already be preaching about the discovery of the template species behind the Loroi.