Space Battleship Yamato 2202: Soldiers of Love

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

skaianDestiny

Space Battleship Yamato 2202: Soldiers of Love

Post by skaianDestiny »

https://www.facebook.com/CosmoDNA/posts/778796725554385
BIG GIANT MASSIVE NEWS FROM JAPAN! The new series is YAMATO 2202: Soldiers of Love. Official website to launch March 31! Look forward to Yamato 2202 Report 1 in the next update of Cosmo DNA!

Original writer: Yoshinobu Nishizaki
Story editor & scriptwriter: Harutoshi Fukui
Director: Nobuyoshi Habara
Executive producer: Shoji Nishizaki
ImageImage

HYPE HYPE HYPE

Since I recall one of Arioch's inspirations for Outsider was Space Battleship Yamato, I figured a thread on this announcement was appropriate.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2202: Soldiers of Love

Post by Arioch »

I look forward to it. I thought 2199 was very well done, in an anime market that's increasingly crappy.

I do wonder whether they will follow the path of the original series/movies (fighting Gatlantis and the Dark Nebula Empire), or move in a new direction.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I agree...2199 was amazingly beautiful and GREAT story-telling! I never got the privlage as a child to watch it on syndicated TV... so I also hope they redo the original stories! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I didn't see that one coming. :shock:
Lets hope this new show (togehter with Macross Delta) are at least as good as it forerunners.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Dahak

Post by Dahak »

Arioch wrote:I look forward to it. I thought 2199 was very well done, in an anime market that's increasingly crappy.

I do wonder whether they will follow the path of the original series/movies (fighting Gatlantis and the Dark Nebula Empire), or move in a new direction.
That picture reminds me of the dock Yamto took off from in the third series...

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

New trailers.

Second one's the biggie.
Arioch wrote:I look forward to it. I thought 2199 was very well done, in an anime market that's increasingly crappy.

Given the content of the second trailer, definitely a new direction. :D

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Thanks for posting those!
skaianDestiny wrote:Given the content of the second trailer, definitely a new direction. :D
Not sure what you mean... they clearly show Gatlantis (the Comet Empire) and Teresa (Trelaina), so it appears to be a reboot of the original second series, as expected.

The Gatlantis organ music still gives me chills. :D

There are of course some changes: looks like there's a joint Human/Gamilon force, and it appears Okita (Avatar) is pulling a "Yamato ghost" shtick (as Mamoru did in 2199).

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

Brand new full-length trailer!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I'm excited, but concerned that they may try to change too much. This was my favorite season of the original Yamato.

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

12 minute preview!

https://youtu.be/sInxYM3v9QI

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Looks like they use Lightwave for the 3D in the series.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/articl ... newsletter

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

So they released the trailer for chapter 2 and we still have no news about a Western licensing deal. The Italians got one though.

skaianDestiny

Post by skaianDestiny »

New trailer:

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cool. Looking forward to it.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Watch Space Battleship Yamato 2202: Warriors of Love ~ Beuatiful & AWESOME!!!

[edit by Arioch] Be warned: the linked site contains a variety of malicious popups. Not to mention that the content is obviously pirated. [/edit]
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

The second half of Yamato 2202's sub/dub will be out on disc from Funimation around the end of November of 2019.

Plus this last weekend it was officially announced that the next series, Yamato 2205: The New Voyage, will be coming out in Fall of 2020.
No news about what the new series will be about yet. It will have the same producer/writer as Yamato 2202.
The Executive Producer has stated that they want to not continue to do remakes and suggested that this next series will be a new story. However the setup from Yamato 2202 and the title for Yamato 2205 suggests some connection with the original follow on movies that came out in 1979 and 1980 ("The New Voyage" and "Be Forever, Yamato"). So we might see them use elements of the older films and series to create a new story, since the timeline has been getting farther and farther away from the original, especially in relation to the Gamilas Empire (the resident blue people empire), and Earth's massive technology increase has somewhat surpassed what they could do originally anyway.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

That would be odd to name the next series "New Voyage" when the next chapter in the original series was called "New Voyage," if they were planning on radically diverging from the original series.

I hope they don't change it too much, as I though the Black Nebula Empire of New Voyage/Be Forever was pretty cool. They may be tempted to try to connect BNE with Gamilas since they both have blue skin.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Considering the setup from Yamato 2202, its likely they'll use the material from New Voyages and Be Forever, Yamato, but the are likely to tell a different story with them. Everything was in place at the end of Yamato 2202 for the 1979 version of New Voyages to start immediately after the credits ended. Sure a bunch of things would have to be different, but the pieces needed to start the plot were in place.

It is also possible they could skip it or merge it with the concepts from the original third series (the Bolar Wars) since there is over a year between the ending of Yamato 2202 and the theoretical beginning of Yamato 2205. With the main difference in the timeline being the state of the Gamilas Empire (intact). But the planet Gamilas is still going to die eventually, thus they will need to find a new home for their species.

In addition to this, Mamoru Kodai died at some point during 2199 in this timeline. So there will be no continuing his direct story (which is probably a good thing, they didn't do him any justice I those films, and there would be no way they could pull off the better ending for him possible in the PS2 games since those were under Leiji Matsumoto's watch...namely surviving and becoming that era's Captain Harlock). But that in itself brings up Sasha....the daughter of Mamoru and Starsha, who Yamato 2199 implied that Starsha was pregnant with when Yamato left iscandar. They will have given her more time to grow up this time around. Even if they speed up her growth it won't be as odd as the original baby to teenager within one year.

And there is a bunch of story resolution plot material based on both Yamato 2199 and Yamato 2202 that involve Starsha...revolving around Dessler, and also the Promise Okita made about the wave motion gun...and broken promise with Earth, with their Wave Motion Gun Fleet.....and weaponizing of the Cosmo Reverse System. She's going to be upset with Humanity. And there is no telling how she's going to react to Dessler. Or how Dessler might react to Sasha (though given how he is, he'd likely just accept her as part of any deal that gets Starsha at his side).

But because Gamilas, as an Empire, is completely viable, and Gamilas, the planet, is still alive and defended, I could see a series based on an ongoing war between the invading Dark Nebula Empire and Gamilas, with Earth sending Yamato to repay the debt to Gamilas for helping defeat Gatlantis in the Sol System, as well as attempting to repay Starsha's kindness in saving Earth (which was the original reason Yamato went out there in the 1979 New Voyages film).

I'd like to see a Gamilas centric series or film dealing with what happened between Series 2/New Voyages and the Bolar Wars, but they might just go around that and establish some new baseline for all of it.

The Dark Nebula Empire, being heavily cybernetic, could mix with the humanity vs automation/robotics theme they were touching on with in Yamato 2202. Also since Gamilas was a large empire, with many species within it, there could be any number of races involved on whatever front this takes place on. If they can't manage enough material with the Dark Nebula Empire, they can do them as an arc in the larger Gamilas story and than introduce the Bolar Union at the later antagonist group. Setting up for a variant fourth series based on the Bolar Wars material, which is a more galaxy wide conflict.

Though it should be noted that they are attempting to replace themes from the late 70s and 80s with modern themes. A theme of Yamato 2202 was directed squarely at the 40 to 50 year old Japanese of the Lost Generation who have had to work for a lost reward when the economic bubble blew up on them. So while the automation/robotics theme verse humanity might still be relevant, the Cold War theme of the Bolar Wars, and Japan (Earth) trying to walk the line of neutrality...and failing, wouldn't quite work in 2020, with modern Japan trying to get around their old defense only policies to allow them again be at least a minor power in their part of the Pacific. If for nothing else, but to counter Mainland China and provide a better defense network in case North Korea going crazy and opens fire on them for real, as the Americans try to ease out of the region (which might not be possible).

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

News via Tim Eldred at the 45th Anniversary concert last night in Japan.

There will be a compellation film for Yamato 2202 coming out sometime in 2020.

"Yamato 2205: A New Voyage", will definitely involve the Dark Nebula Empire. There were quick design images of characters, Dark Nebula ships, Gorba, Gamilas ships, and the Cosmo Hound (a larger Earth auxiliary craft from Yamato III). This is also suppose to come out late in 2020, but I suspect if will come out early 2021.

Murph

Post by Murph »

*sigh* I am old enough to remember seeing the original in Japan on Japanese TV. Then coming to the US and seeing the English version.