Page 162: Pleased to meet you!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Page 162: Pleased to meet you!

Post by Arioch »

The cool sensation is the physically lower temperature of Loroi flesh. Alex mentioned it the first two times he had skin to skin contact with a Loroi. It'll be brought up again in a few pages in a different context to remind the reader, but I don't think there's any need for the narrator to keep mentioning it every time he shakes a Loroi hand.

When he was first touched by Fireblade, he reported the tingly shock feeling, and the subsequent impression that he felt as if he were being probed. The second time he was touched, by Talon, he reports that there is no such feeling in either case. When he touches Beryl, she specifically asks him what he feels, and he says "nothing." If he felt something different when touching Spiral or Reed, this would be worth reporting to the reader, so the fact that he doesn't should suggest that he didn't.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Would Beryl have the strength to make him feel that kind of tingly feeling? (And yes I know how that sounds you damn animals)

novius

Post by novius »

boldilocks wrote:Would Beryl have the strength to make him feel that kind of tingly feeling? (And yes I know how that sounds you damn animals)
So basically, that "electric wire" feeling would denote a forceful mind probe, one or two steps above a casual telepathic contact. Beryl is no slouch in the telepathy department herself, but she lacks the amplifier Fireblade has or the training and finesse Tempo has. And given that she respectfully asked him beforehand, she might not have the mindset needed for some intrusive probing.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

novius wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Would Beryl have the strength to make him feel that kind of tingly feeling? (And yes I know how that sounds you damn animals)
So basically, that "electric wire" feeling would denote a forceful mind probe, one or two steps above a casual telepathic contact. Beryl is no slouch in the telepathy department herself, but she lacks the amplifier Fireblade has or the training and finesse Tempo has. And given that she respectfully asked him beforehand, she might not have the mindset needed for some intrusive probing.
Everyone knows asking for consent leads to inferior intrusive probing.

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

boldilocks wrote:
novius wrote:
Everyone knows asking for consent leads to inferior intrusive probing.
I know you meant that in jest, but it's really bad.

CJSF

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:Would Beryl have the strength to make him feel that kind of tingly feeling?
While this doesn't directly answer your question, Beryl has the baseline telepathic strength that is normal for ordinary Loroi (power 5 in GURPS terms); this is generally not sufficient for offensive telepathic attacks.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

kiwi wrote:No, it’s too perilous.
Be brave and face the peril. They only want to probe the mind...maybe other places. It is the duty of the Scout Corps to encounter the perils.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

LAUNCELOT: We were in the nick of time, you were in great peril.
GALAHAD: I don't think I was.
LAUNCELOT: Yes you were, you were in terrible peril.
GALAHAD: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.
LAUNCELOT: No, it's too perilous.
GALAHAD: Look, I'm a knight, I'm supposed to get as much peril as I can.
LAUNCELOT: No, we've got to find the Holy Grail. Come on!
GALAHAD: Well, let me have just a little bit of peril?
LAUNCELOT: No, it's unhealthy.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Why are there so many Monty Python references in an online forum thread about a Sci-Fi comic?

Also,
I've been watching as much Monty Python as I could, but why?
Westminster's Parliamentary Brexit discussions are so much more sarcastic, funny, quaint, and random than any Monty Python sketch I've ever seen.
This tells me that the Monty Python group was not trying to be funny, they were documentalists.

Now, for something else.
To complete your quote:
(Dang, youtube tags don't work with a "starting time". Starts at 37 seconds...)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail, 1975 wrote: Sir Galahad: I bet you're gay.
Sir Lancelot: No, I'm not.
It just shows how much you can take this all out of context, and yet hit a nail, as with monty Python there never was a context to place something in.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Monty Python's humor has become global enough that you can find references to it in many places. Recent Japanese anime for instance, which surprised me.

That and they had enough variety that there is bound to be a referential joke that can be made in most instances. Some are more obscure than others. Anything from the Holy Grail will be instantly recognizable, as will some of their more famous gags. Others are less common, but still pop up from time to time.

That the situation on the shuttle suddenly reminding me of the Castle Anthrax scene was likely due to my sense of humor more than anything else. That and the dear Ensign is in great peril. The kind of peril has yet to be seen.

stelarwand030

Post by stelarwand030 »

Krulle wrote:(Dang, youtube tags don't work with a "starting time". Starts at 37 seconds...)
You have to right click on the video when its paused. Then click on "Copy video URL at current time". https://youtu.be/3zoP6qeKmhA?t=37

Also is it just me or does the bandage on Jardin's head keep moving to the left (his right)?

If you look at page 142 the wound he receives starts almost directly over his nose and yet the bandage is fully over his right eyebrow on page 162.

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

I envision variants of the Dead Parrot sketch when trying to get rid of the installed Pocket Historian.

"I wish to complain about this software what I installed not half an hour ago from this very bucket."
"Oh yes, the, uh, the Pocket Historian...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
"I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E won't uninstall, that's what's wrong with it!"
"No, no, 'e's uh,...he's doing guru meditation".
"Look, matey, I know malware behavior when I install one, and I'm looking at one right now."

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I bet it’ll go voom if you put 5,000 volts through it. Loroi fast chargers are intense.

OK Krulle, I’ll stop now.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

stelarwand030 wrote:
Krulle wrote:(Dang, youtube tags don't work with a "starting time". Starts at 37 seconds...)
You have to right click on the video when its paused. Then click on "Copy video URL at current time". https://youtu.be/3zoP6qeKmhA?t=37
I know. But then I cannot embed the video in the post using the forums [youtube] tags.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arent

Post by Arent »

novius wrote:And it still fits with my words about the previous page. Brute force didn't help, but maybe a relaxed atmosphere would do, and perhaps it helps to cross-test him against a larger variety of Loroi....
I think you are reading far too much into that. Of course Tempo will keep tabs on the Human, but she has other things on her hand than to gather intel on Humans right now.
novius wrote: Well, Spiral seems to be all for it. Reed has some sort of "well, at least he's cute" look...
This. They are just pilots used to... piloting. And the Human is a curiosity. At best, Beryl might try to actively find out more about his 'barrier' or Humans in general. Which is simply her job.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Why are they so eager to touch him?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Why are they so eager to touch him?
Is it being unusually eager, considering the circumstances? Everyone is basically taking part in a historic moment of diplomacy, being some of the first of their people to personally greet a diplomat of a new species.
Especially considering the Loroi view on an afterlife. (There isn't one, you're remembered for your historic actions, if they're worth remembering.)

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

boldilocks wrote:
CrimsonFALKE wrote:Why are they so eager to touch him?
Is it being unusually eager, considering the circumstances? Everyone is basically taking part in a historic moment of diplomacy, being some of the first of their people to personally greet a diplomat of a new species.
Especially considering the Loroi view on an afterlife. (There isn't one, you're remembered for your historic actions, if they're worth remembering.)
Yes but touching someone in Loroi culture is a very intimate thing to do making themselves known to this moment wouldn't run the risk of making a close personal bond at random.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Yes but touching someone in Loroi culture is a very intimate thing to do making themselves known to this moment wouldn't run the risk of making a close personal bond at random.
It's intimate among loroi and telepathically sensitive races because of the intense telepathic connection that forms from immediate touch. Alex is famously invisible to telepathy. This is like people shaking hands with a robot, or a rock.

novius

Post by novius »

boldilocks wrote:It's intimate among loroi and telepathically sensitive races because of the intense telepathic connection that forms from immediate touch. Alex is famously invisible to telepathy. This is like people shaking hands with a robot, or a rock.
Even if I'm wrong and there isn't Tempo's guidance behind this, I'm sure there is some peer pressure involved, especially when you look at Spiral egging on Cloud...