Page 162: Pleased to meet you!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: Page 162: Pleased to meet you!

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Well, if ever there was a time for some sort of bonding ritual, now's the time. Without the intervention of some timely distraction, they're looking forward to days of doing nothing but sitting around in each other's company with no way to escape. A smart officer would start the team building immediately.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

"Fall backwards into my arms, captain, it is essential that we build tr- NO NOT TOWARDS FIREBL-"

cacambo43

Post by cacambo43 »

novius wrote:
boldilocks wrote:It's intimate among loroi and telepathically sensitive races because of the intense telepathic connection that forms from immediate touch. Alex is famously invisible to telepathy. This is like people shaking hands with a robot, or a rock.
Even if I'm wrong and there isn't Tempo's guidance behind this, I'm sure there is some peer pressure involved, especially when you look at Spiral egging on Cloud...
I think she was exhorting Alex to say he was pleased, not Cloud (if that's what you are referring to).

CJSF

novius

Post by novius »

cacambo43 wrote:I think she was exhorting Alex to say he was pleased, not Cloud (if that's what you are referring to).

CJSF
I thought so as well for a moment, but Alex doesn't seem to need lots of pushing; it's Cloud who acts much like the nerdy (human) boy in front of the gorgeous cheerleader. Or, if you don't account for the gender role reversal, like the wallflower in front of the school's football star. Complete the picture with the slightly mischievous 'friends' in the background going "c'mon, don't be a stick in the butt" and you get there.

novius

Post by novius »

boldilocks wrote:"Fall backwards into my arms, captain, it is essential that we build tr- NO NOT TOWARDS FIREBL-"
Thinking of which... They're stuck dead in the water in a broken shuttle, behind enemy lines, in a system that's as good as occupied and no help in sight. If that isn't a situation where Fireblade regresses back to her youth, I'm not sure what it would be.

And given her penchant for sleep sending, I'm sure if the other Loroi come to the conclusion that Alex acts like a telepathic insulator or lightning rod, they'd urge him to sleep in close contact to Fireblade, just to get some peace for themselves, undisturbed by her dreams.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

This Fireblade.. youth thing... it intrigues me, I wish to learn more.

adamcf0bae

Post by adamcf0bae »

novius wrote:And given her penchant for sleep sending, I'm sure if the other Loroi come to the conclusion that Alex acts like a telepathic insulator or lightning rod, they'd urge him to sleep in close contact to Fireblade, just to get some peace for themselves, undisturbed by her dreams.
I imagine she takes her amplifier off when she sleeps, lest she turn people inside out during a night terror. Even so, I imagine Alex will still see her fiery aura as he tactically spoons her to protect the other crew from her sleep sending.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Where'd the idea of Alex being a telepathic insulator come from?

Also, wouldn't snuggling with a loroi be rather uncomfortable, like snuggling with someones cold feet, except it's their entire body?

If I was going to guess, I'd assume this would be a good time in the story to introduce the strategy game discussed earlier, as something for Fireblade to do rather than sleep.

adamcf0bae

Post by adamcf0bae »

boldilocks wrote: Also, wouldn't snuggling with a loroi be rather uncomfortable, like snuggling with someones cold feet, except it's their entire body?
Conversely you could say Alex would be supremely comfortable to snuggle with, in that he *is* warm and doesn't generate any telepathic feedback. A living woobie.

Jethreuel

Post by Jethreuel »

Asaenvolk: This Fireblade.. youth thing... it intrigues me, I wish to learn more.
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/foru ... story.html

Read about the Fall of Seren and then the Semoset Campaign.
Then look at Fireblade's age and where she is from on her character sheet:

https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/imag ... eblade.png

She was either evacuated which would have been a tramatic experience in itself, or she is one of the few survivors of Umiak Occupation which would have been much more tramatic.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

adamcf0bae wrote:
boldilocks wrote: Also, wouldn't snuggling with a loroi be rather uncomfortable, like snuggling with someones cold feet, except it's their entire body?
Conversely you could say Alex would be supremely comfortable to snuggle with, in that he *is* warm and doesn't generate any telepathic feedback. A living woobie.
The future of humanity is to be Loroi's tauntauns.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

boldilocks wrote:Also, wouldn't snuggling with a loroi be rather uncomfortable, like snuggling with someones cold feet, except it's their entire body?
I was wondering about that. I figure that if it gets really cold, and they haven't packed the good feather duvet, then a Loroi body might feel much warmer than ambient+blanket.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Sigh, Always with the negatives...

Loroi are not cold to the touch.. they are at a lower static body temperature than humans yes but that does not instantly translate to cold to the touch! Probably similar to touching a dolphin ~ though that's likely too cool.. but Dolphins just like Loroi and humans are warm-blooded though our metabolism run at different static body temperature norms.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Alex in just a little bit here.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Cold feet are around 26 - 28°C. A Lorois internal temperature is 28°C. Just saying.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Spiral made a show of getting out of her exosuit, but as it gets cold, she may well want to get back in. :lol:

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

Spiral made a show of getting out of her exosuit, but as it gets cold, she may well want to get back in. :lol:
It may seem counter-intuitive, but it's actually more efficient to be in a single layer of insulating clothing rather than a full kit when you are in a sleeping bag or under a thermal blanket.

Source: Arctic survival school, wearing nothing but long johns in a sleeping bag. It was about 10°F inside the snow shelter and -30°F outside.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

That is especially true when sharing a sleeping bad, double when said other person has a higher body temperature.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It is a commonly asked question from people who watch Apollo 13, why didn't they put on space suits to stay warm?

Said space suits would have kept them very warm, but were too bulky to operate effectively in. I suspect that a Loroi IVA suit would be just as capable.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I love how Fireblade is agressivly indifferent, Beryl is excited puppy, and the two pilots are excited puppies after they went through a gamer's stash of redbull in personality.

So is shoe elf just being shy or tentative.

Beryl: "Oh, yes, and if you do end up having "needs" satisfied, we have Cloud here for you. I will just have camera ready for science when you are ready."

Jardin: "For the fifteenth time, I do not need to have that need met."