KSP 1.0

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SVlad

Re: KSP 1.0

Post by SVlad »

Raymond wrote: I want to try it and am waiting for it since your post.
Don't wait, just play yourself. Games meant to be played.
Outsider in Russian

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

With the news that KSP 2 is coming, I did decide to break down and finish the last challenges left in the base game. Getting to Eeloo, and landing a Kerbal on Eve and returning them home again.
SpoilerShow
Here's my Eeloo rover going around, looking for the best place to set up the refinery.

Here's my first attempt at getting an Eve mission into orbit. Things did not go according to plan.

Here's me approaching my parking orbit.

Here's a screenshot of me successfully touching down the first time, after burning up in the atmosphere repeatedly.
(This ship exploded shortly after the photo was taken, due to the gimbals being set up too sensitive and crashing into the mountainside.)

And a couple of screenshots of my final successful attempt getting back into orbit.
(I am pretty hyped about KSP 2. It's supposed to have multiplayer and colony building. I'm not sure how they plan on making that work, but I'm hoping they can pull it off.)

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Return from Eve without refueling? Cool!
Outsider in Russian

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Since I don't use any kind of automated navigation mods (or any mods, actually) I usually have to over-engineer my DeltaV budgets to account for imperfect ascent profiles and ejection burns.

But this time around, I apparently did pretty good, because the Kerbin to Eve stage that I had planned on jettisoning on arrival ended up having almost enough fuel for the return transfer. The command craft only used a fraction of its propellant before ditching the fuel tank and engines for Kerbin re-entry.