How can the Loroi win?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

boldilocks

Re: How can the Loroi win?

Post by boldilocks »

Arent wrote:
Zarya wrote:Another good example is Afghanistan. Never mind the superior production capacity and larger economic base of the usurper. The decisive factor is that trying to pacify or control it will suck the life out of any power that tries to dominate it. Up to the point that pursuing such a goal is no longer rational.
In my humble opinion, that's not a question of power/economy but of ruthlessness. The Umiak - or even the real world Chinese or Russians under Mao and Stalin - would simply have employed starvation. They would have wiped out the civilian population, their cattle, crops, until there is no one left that can resist in any meaningful way.
Or they'd deal with it the way the chinese are dealing with africa at the moment. Simply ignore the local population, buy up land, build chinese enclaves and exploit as many natural resources as you can.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I think the Umiak would probably treat Loroi worlds differently than third party worlds. At this point, the Loroi are such a threat that they'll probably bombard any Loroi world that poses a problem. (At the very least, they'll bombard any infrastructure.)

For third party worlds, the enclave method is probably too humane and too slow for their purposes. Granted, the TCA didn't have solid intel, but based on what Alex said, I imagine the Umiak use a method closer to the standard colonial tactic. Gain control of the local government, pit the locals against each other, enjoy the profits of near slave labor as they fight each other over the scraps you leave them.

Werra

Post by Werra »

I think they just park ships in orbit and demand tribute. No need to get complicated with the weird xenos governments.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

According to what we know from the Insider about what happened to the Tithric, the Umiak seems to have gained support of the Tithric government through subterfuge, well before they formally aligned.

novius

Post by novius »

Sympathy for space elves vs. ugly giant bugs aside, at the moment things simply don't look good for the Loroi.

They were put in a defensive position from the very start, fighting the war on their own territory for the most time, and just barely holding off the Umiak, having advanced technology and Farseers on their side to counter superior numbers.

Now, one of these two advantages is practically nixed. Even if the Umiak have only a few "stealth strike groups" they can do plenty of damage, trickling deep into Loroi territory and wreak havoc at their weakest points. Cut the supply lines and forward defense would crumble in front of the oncoming attack wave.

Might be that the Umiak fought this war "half-assed" up until that moment. They've already shown that they do plan things for the long haul, amassing forces along the border even long before the war fully started up. That makes me believe that they were sort of waiting (or developing) for a breakthrough like this, which would give them a definite advantage over the Loroi, or canceling out one of the Loroi's advantages.

Without another game changer, I wouldn't place any bets on the Loroi. Technological superiority can easily be drowned the sheer numbers the Umiak could field.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

novius wrote:Without another game changer,
Introducing big masculine male human muscles.
Bam! Pow!
Don't worry, ladies, these guns are for hire!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Is Alex a descendant of Chuck, the Norris?

If not, the Historians will have to pass another piece of tech to the Loroi...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

Deus ex machina idea: loroi train Alex in telepathy and it appears humans can see Umiac through their invisibility. Alex become new farseer.
Outsider in Russian

Zorg56

Post by Zorg56 »

Alex becomes advisor from the Humanity and uses T A C T I C S to help loroi win the war.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Zorg56 wrote:Alex becomes advisor from the Humanity and uses T A C T I C S to help loroi win the war.
"OOoh, tell me more about this thing you humans call kiss- I mean strategy"

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

"You see, your strategy up until now has relied on knowing where the enemy is, but I will teach you a new tactic, predicting where the enemy is."

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

...or that greatest of all human skills, fecal dislocation (also known as, pulling something out of your ass at the last minute).

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

High levels of pattern recognition used for predictions of future actions your adversaries might be useful. Something that comes with facial and body reading parts of our brains... due to not being telepathic and having to read peoples minds indirectly.

novius

Post by novius »

Problem is, whatever Alex may do or may not do, it already seems to be too little, too late. The attack is already underway, and it looks like they'll be punching through any defense the Loroi could muster and steamroll the Union.

What could a single person do, especially since he's still under suspicion and, more importantly, marooned in a shuttle and being shot out of space as soon as he twitches?

No... I think the question shouldn't be "how could the Loroi win", because they simply can't anymore, but more like "how could they pick themselves up after they've received a severe thrashing"?

Maybe that's the point. The Loroi are getting a good serving of the humble pie and a firsthand lecture of the adage "beggars can't be choosers".

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

We know from the insider that the Loroi have been building up massive reserves as well. But if they do end up going on the offensive in one last ditch effort, they need to find a way to not get bogged down once they push into Umiak territory like they did during the Semoset offensive.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Yes, the whole idea that the Loroi might loose is predicated on the idea that the Loroi haven't been building their own reserves for a while, as well as the idea that the Umiak are not completely over extended and this isn't just a victory push, but a desperation push.

novius

Post by novius »

asaenvolk wrote:Yes, the whole idea that the Loroi might loose is predicated on the idea that the Loroi haven't been building their own reserves for a while, as well as the idea that the Umiak are not completely over extended and this isn't just a victory push, but a desperation push.
Kikitik-27 seemed to be quite sure about their own position in the war, and I don't think Umiak are ones for false bravado or empty bluster.

Even if the Loroi have enough pushback that they could stem the tide, they'd still be fighting on their own territory and have lost even more of their industrial power. It would turn into another war of attrition, one where the Loroi are even worse off than before.

The more I think, the more I'm convinced that the title "Outsider" not just refers to the lone human, but the whole shuttle crew, because they're on their way to become everything that has been left of the Loroi Union.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

novius wrote:Kikitik-27 seemed to be quite sure about their own position in the war, and I don't think Umiak are ones for false bravado or empty bluster.
It's true that they are supposed to be humble but that's about themselves individually, their support for the war effort of the state is something that they believe in with the whole of their being.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Not to mention that both Stillstorm and Kikitik are each accomlished commanders. They're familiar with all manners of ruses.

[quote=""icekatze"]"You see, your strategy up until now has relied on knowing where the enemy is, but I will teach you a new tactic, predicting where the enemy is."[/quote] This is one thing Alex can actually do for the Loroi. Since he comes from the human school of warfare, he's used to working without Farseers. While the Loroi should know the tools of that trade, they aren't as familiar with them.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Kikitik-27 seemed to be quite sure about their own position in the war, and I don't think Umiak are ones for false bravado or empty bluster.
"Talker" is most certainly a blowhard, even if his race in general isn't, that one is.