Page 162: Pleased to meet you!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

geok1ng

Re: Page 162: Pleased to meet you!

Post by geok1ng »

So Loroi bodies are 10ºC colder than Humans?

Human couples fight over optimum air conditioning temperature.
I doubt Loroi or Humans would find embracing each other much comfortable.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

geok1ng wrote:So Loroi bodies are 10ºC colder than Humans?

My wife and I have measured our sleeping temperature differences (on skin, below blanket).
Hers was about 3 degrees (Celsius) higher than mine.

I don't want to imagine a difference of 10 degrees when hugging a blue space elf.
Just hugging is okay, but for hours during sleep?

Nah...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

geok1ng wrote:So Loroi bodies are 10ºC colder than Humans?

Except that, as a generalization, I think men often feel too hot and women often feel too cold. So snuggling in this case would satisfy both. :D

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

my wife likes mid 80s (~29.4 C) and I like mid 60s (~18.3C)

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

A colleague of mind told me about a great method for office harmony: they worked out where the cold and hot spots in the office were, and then simply moved the too warm and too cool people around...

Krin

Post by Krin »

Don't know if this has been asked / answered already.
Are we going to find out who is the third security personnel aboard the shuttle?
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider104.html

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Krin wrote:Don't know if this has been asked / answered already.
Are we going to find out who is the third security personnel aboard the shuttle?
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider104.html
Her name is Soroin Pideir Alain ("Flint").

Luge

Post by Luge »

So, we have...
  • Tempo, Mizol Parat (O5),

Fireblade Teidar Pallan (O4),

Beryl, Listel Tozet (O3),

Reed, Soroin Pideir (O1),
    Flint, Soroin Pideir (O1),
    Cloud, Soroin Paset (OC),

Talon, Tenoin Arrir (O2),
    Spiral, Tenoin Narrat (O1)
I presume that the general consensus among the Lori would be that Temp is in charge of this... "mission"?

Given the interesting rank and caste structure of the Loroi, I sense there could be some tension between Beryl and Talon? Beryl technically outranks Talon, but is only in a support caste as opposed to one of the warrior castes. When making decisions, do they have to ask themselves if it is a military matter, or more of a technical/diplomatic matter?

Extra: While I was typing this question, I was wondering what answers you would get if you privately asked each Loroi as to who was in charge? Would most say Tempo? Talon seems like she is "captain" of the shuttle, though.

Extra 2: For my own amusement, I was wondering how each of the people would refer to the shuttle right now. I got this far:
  • Reed: "mission"
    Tempo: "diplomatic mission"
    Beryl "scientific mission"
    Alex "circus"
    Talon: "royal fuck-up"
A.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Hmm, that's a tricky one.

On the one hand, it's a transfer flight for a diplomatic mission, so Tempo's job. On the other hand, it's all gone to crap, so it might just be Talon's job, because it's happening on her bird.

Loroi command webs look complicated; we've already seen what I presume to be a telepathic shouting match between Stillstorm "It's a fucking trap, let's dissect it in the med bay" and Tempo "It might be real, so that's a terrible idea."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The Loroi chain of command is specific but complicated. The different castes have different areas of authority, and individuals may have specific orders that give them specific authority; who has the right to make decisions depends on the question at hand. Tempo is the ranking officer and she's in charge of the mission, but Talon is in command of the shuttle itself. As Beryl indicated on page 148, she is personally responsible for Alex, and so when it comes to the alien, she has the final say -- except where the question involves the overall mission or the operation of the shuttle. If there is a dispute between contradicting orders, the master at arms (Fireblade, in this case) resolves the dispute. And Fireblade, of course, has her own orders.

So, hypothetically, Tempo can only tell Talon or Beryl what to do regarding their own responsibilities within the context of the orders she has received from higher up. Tempo has some leeway in interpreting those orders, and so in some sense she has broad authority, but in cases where a subject may or may not pertain specifically to Tempo's orders, she must use persuasion (either to the officer in question directly, or in the last resort to the master at arms to remove that officer from duty).

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I’m looking forward to Alex finding out about this mess :-). He may have entertaining thoughts and - if his control slips - joyous faux pas.

I guess the chain of command on a naval ship is a little convoluted, the ships doctor having certain powers and the option of a flag officer, but not to that extent.

Edit: I wonder if Beryl will recognise it when he turns to her and asks if they find his arrangement satisfactory to their needs.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

SO, who's most likly to steal all the blankets

CF2

Post by CF2 »

SaintofM wrote:SO, who's most likly to steal all the blankets
I'd figure Talon or Spiral as being bold enough to try, but only Fireblade or Tempo having what it takes to cause others not to fight the theft.

My guess would be someone offers to share theirs with Alex, only for Beryl or Tempo transform the offer into him being gifted the blanket and the poor Loroi going cold for her audacity.
How do you say "Worth it!" in Loroi Trade?

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

CF2 wrote:
SaintofM wrote:SO, who's most likly to steal all the blankets
I'd figure Talon or Spiral as being bold enough to try, but only Fireblade or Tempo having what it takes to cause others not to fight the theft.

My guess would be someone offers to share theirs with Alex, only for Beryl or Tempo transform the offer into him being gifted the blanket and the poor Loroi going cold for her audacity.
How do you say "Worth it!" in Loroi Trade?
Spoon the warm human. Who need a blanket when you have such a heat source?

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Ithekro wrote:Spoon the warm human. Who need a blanket when you have such a heat source?
Oh no, a terrible thought -- how cold must Loroi extremities get? Let's hope for Alex's sake that thermal lining works well or he may get quite the jolt when someone decides to warm up their icy digits on him.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

CF2 wrote:
Ithekro wrote:Spoon the warm human. Who need a blanket when you have such a heat source?
Oh no, a terrible thought -- how cold must Loroi extremities get? Let's hope for Alex's sake that thermal lining works well or he may get quite the jolt when someone decides to warm up their icy digits on him.
While he has commented on their cooler skin tones, the only time he has complained was when ue was being probed

Murph

Post by Murph »

SaintofM wrote:
CF2 wrote:
While he has commented on their cooler skin tones, the only time he has complained was when ue was being probed
Good point. Perhaps some have stronger mental abilities than others?