WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Zarya

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Zarya »

Could the "You are in grave personal danger" have something to do with the current sleeptime ceremony? (I'm asking for a friend.)

CF2

Post by CF2 »

Zarya wrote:Could the "You are in grave personal danger" have something to do with the current sleeptime ceremony? (I'm asking for a friend.)
If it turns out that the Historians don't have the best grasp of Loroi behavior towards their males and their whole covert effort to contact Alex was a mistake, that would be quite something.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

Zarya wrote:Could the "You are in grave personal danger" have something to do with the current sleeptime ceremony? (I'm asking for a friend.)
Historian: We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.
Alex: I don't think I was.
Historian: Yes, you were. You were in terrible peril.
Alex: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.
Historian: No, it's too perilous.
Alex: Look, it's my duty as a captain to sample as much peril as I can.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

A lot of people would do a lot to be looked at like that.

Seems Spiral has an interest (or needs).

Murph

Post by Murph »

Overkill Engine wrote:
Historian: We were in the nick of time. You were in great peril.
Alex: I don't think I was.
Historian: Yes, you were. You were in terrible peril.
Alex: Look, let me go back in there and face the peril.
Historian: No, it's too perilous.
Alex: Look, it's my duty as a captain to sample as much peril as I can.
Alex needs to face the peril for his own self-respect.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Historian now sounds like John Cleese in my head, lol.

CF2

Post by CF2 »

If Talon, Spiral, Beryl, and apparently now Cloud are getting into hijinks-mode so soon after unrestricted access to Alex, then just imagine how much of the soon-to-be-happening nonsense poor Reed must have had to shield Alex from to maintain his solitary confinement.

I wonder if humans carry a parasite equivalent to the one cats carry, that makes blue space-elves fond of them.

novius

Post by novius »

I already mentioned that the construct might have completely misinterpreted the situation... Or just has a different definition of "grave personal danger", being an AI on an antedeluvian (in its 'eyes') device.

And, again, Tempo is conspicuously absent... Perhaps her presence would 'motivate' the others to be on their best behavior, but she may have a vested interest on seeing how this plays out when the others think themselves to be unsupervised? I'm pretty sure she relayed some last-minute instructions to Beryl.

Werra

Post by Werra »

novius wrote:And, again, Tempo is conspicuously absent... Perhaps her presence would 'motivate' the others to be on their best behavior, but she may have a vested interest on seeing how this plays out when the others think themselves to be unsupervised?
Last we saw her, she was floating in the doorway, 'talking' to Fireblade. I don't think she is actively masking her presence, so the other Loroi should be aware that she is there, even if she can't be seen.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Yes, and she was pressing her hand to her chest. That's (so far) a gesture distinctive to Tempo, and I'm not sure what it means. When we first saw it on Tempest's bridge, it went with a sort of apology for Alex's treatment. Maybe it is apologetic, or maybe it's some kind of duplicitous Mizol trick.

I gotta say, if humanity ever catches up with the Soia, they should sue for some kind of intellectual property rights violation. The b*stards even nicked off with the body language.

Edit: added italics
Last edited by kiwi on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBehave

Post by MBehave »

Just to put a dampener on all the "sex" innuendo.

Loroi body temperature is significantly lower then humans at 27c, for a human it would be closer to having sex with a corpse.
10c lower is significant.

So unless Loroi heat up when sexually active it wouldn't really be enjoyable for humans.
Well most Humans...

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

MBehave wrote:Just to put a dampener on all the "sex" innuendo.

Loroi body temperature is significantly lower then humans at 27c, for a human it would be closer to having sex with a corpse.
10c lower is significant.

So unless Loroi heat up when sexually active it wouldn't really be enjoyable for humans.
Well most Humans...
Was that really necessary?

I don't even think it's accurate. Touching objects at room temperature (~20°C) is not uncomfortable or unpleasant, and a Loroi is significantly warmer than room temperature. Corpses are normally much colder than room temperature... if you don't want them decomposing on you.

As I would prefer to stop this derailment where it is, any further posts about having sex with corpses will be deleted.

Murph

Post by Murph »

I know the new secret name for Alex: Captain Snuggle-buddy! They get cold, and Alex is a living electric blanket.

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Arioch wrote:As I would prefer to stop this derailment where it is, any further posts about having sex with corpses will be deleted.
Good! Please do! Vigorously!

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Ok, trying not to derail this further, but I wonder what personalities of the space elves Alex will gravitate to when he decides to pass out.

So far I think it will be more to Beryl as he has the nicest things to say about her and has shown the most concern if not curiosity towards him.

The pilotes are a maybe as both are clearly not mature. This might fit him, but outside of a few remarks and whatever he did to get the cleanup crew duty, he was might be drawn to that.

Shoe elf, not sure. Acts too timid.

Tempo could always pull rank.

That leaves fireblade, who will probably be Alex's last choice but the one most capable of defending him from threats (or more realistically the others from him).

novius

Post by novius »

SaintofM wrote:That leaves fireblade, who will probably be Alex's last choice but the one most capable of defending him from threats (or more realistically the others from him).
Alex made his opinion about Fireblade abundantly clear, and with the others, except Tempo, Beryl could always pull rank - he is her responsibility, after all.

I think it's less a question of Alex's choice, but rather the choice will be made for him.

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

I've long grown tired of the lewd lobby trying to frame every possible panel in a romantic or even sexual way, even if we're seeing a soldier making a joke about butts and farting on pillows.

Alex won't gravitate to any of the Loroi, he's just been warned by the Historian about them and he's probably feeling some quite relevant paranoia towards most of them. I would sooner see him request to sleep separately then snuggled up in a ball of lukewarm Loroi bodies. Love may bloom on the battlefield, but not with 8 people crammed into a storage compartment counting down (for all they know) the seconds until life support runs out.

Murph

Post by Murph »

Roeben wrote:I've long grown tired of the lewd lobby trying to frame every possible panel in a romantic or even sexual way, even if we're seeing a soldier making a joke about butts and farting on pillows.

Alex won't gravitate to any of the Loroi, he's just been warned by the Historian about them and he's probably feeling some quite relevant paranoia towards most of them. I would sooner see him request to sleep separately then snuggled up in a ball of lukewarm Loroi bodies. Love may bloom on the battlefield, but not with 8 people crammed into a storage compartment counting down (for all they know) the seconds until life support runs out.
Not to mention, that after a few days, unless they have a "fresher" it will start to get....fragrant in the hold.

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

Murph wrote:
Roeben wrote:I've long grown tired of the lewd lobby trying to frame every possible panel in a romantic or even sexual way, even if we're seeing a soldier making a joke about butts and farting on pillows.

Not to mention, that after a few days, unless they have a "fresher" it will start to get....fragrant in the hold.
If I was Arioch, that's where I'd pull out the "Loroi sweat smells like fragant vanilla candles" gag, referencing back to the beginning of the comic when he first entered the ships hallway, and revealing that Loroi ships crewed by loroi soldiers smell of Loroi soldier sweat.

In all likeliness, That smell was probably really just some kind of incense, the purpose of which was revealed with the murals.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

It's kind of humorous, but in spite of how much humans like the smell and taste of vanilla, it is a smell of decay and rot. Outside of the vanilla plant, vanillin is generally produced as a byproduct of decaying plant and animal matter, most noticeable in fermented fruit. One hypothesis for why humans are so attracted to the smell is because of that relationship with fermented fruit.