Awww

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Count Casimir

Awww

Post by Count Casimir »

You mean we have to divide up our on- and off-topic posts?

:cry:

You make me sad, Arioch!
Ashrain is best rain.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Awww

Post by Arioch »

Not necessarily. This is just a placeholder, really.

Posts about science fiction and technology in general have always been appropriate for the Outsider forum, and I think that should continue. But I do think it would be nice to have other categories to post, say, information about other projects and the like.

Any opinions on forum structure are welcome.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

I gotcha.

Last time I made a forum, I kind of went crazy with folders and subfolders and it ended up being really confusing. I say keep it simple, unless something comes up that's big enough to merit it's own board.

/2cents
Ashrain is best rain.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Count Casimir wrote:I gotcha.

Last time I made a forum, I kind of went crazy with folders and subfolders and it ended up being really confusing. I say keep it simple, unless something comes up that's big enough to merit it's own board.
Yes, that's definitely something I won't be doing. It's silly to have to hunt across dozens of subfolders for 2 or 3 posts. :)

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

anyway in the end there will always be someone who post something in the wrong "folder"

That or a subject that could be put in 2 folder at the same time.

I would go with a traditional structure

Art
fan art other unrelated art, as long as it dont become an: look at the image i found on the web of a lolcats.

Outsider WIP
well there were only one post on the old forum but you could make a topic per page could be interesting and still have it locked.

All the rest
do i actually need to explain that section?

that way you wouldn't have to police the forum too much about were what topic should go.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

The only thing I could see a sub-forum being used for is if we ever had a Role-Playing event successfully take off, such that it was crowding out the other posts. Otherwise, most of the topics seem to be relatively self contained.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

And it's not like we're a super-big community needing "crowd control."

Codius_Dak

Post by Codius_Dak »

Very true, I kind of with that some of the older characters from 3 years ago would start posting more.

but i hope that we will try and start back up the RPG forum. Dietrich is getting bored
Hope is renewed by the brilliant dawn.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

I might be willing to run something for an RPG, but it would need a little more structure, I think.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

well i would be willing if the game wasn't like a story telling i know real time RP on a tchat is out of the way (because of time zone) but something closer to the dice and paper version.

Isn't ill look up with some other people to see if there is a way to put a dice system in a forum.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

We could just use regular die and post it. I trust you guys!
Ashrain is best rain.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

The dice are one thing, but I think having a structured framework for the organization of combat/tasks and in general just a more formalized framework would be a definite improvement. That said, you still have to come up with something that'll work.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

I gotta say, a different setting might be nice. The other one was well thought-out and original, but Arioch has created a galaxy full of interesting aliens--warlike ones, too! I'd love to see something towards the beginning of the war--Loroi ground commandos, etc, or something set (even further) in the future--kind of like the old one, with humans and Loroi just starting to mix, but less...militarily rigid? A small special task force, maybe, or even civilian traders wandering the galaxy *coff Rogue Trader hell yeah*.

As far as structure, we could make something out of D&D stats, which I have a pretty good handle on. We could just do skill buy as a system, or use a different system's stats. Thoughts?
Ashrain is best rain.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

It doesn't even have to be an outsider-based rpg. Particularly since, canon issues aside, the non-military role-play opportunities are somewhat limited for a human-loroi campaign. Restricting it to the human area of space would alleviate a great deal of the problems inherent in the setting, but that's probably too much to ask. Gurps would probably be a good system since it's pretty basic, and generic :o . I've never done anything with D&D, but there's a little shareware game called Minimus that might actually be what we're looking for: it's simple and free to download.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I had an idea for a short-ish game involving a combined Human/Loroi scouting force attempting to map a "backdoor" route into Umiak territory, but I never got the chance to propose it. It would have played the contrast of some of humanity's best and brightest being paired up with a disgraced Loroi commander with a chip on her shoulder. (taken off the front lines for this...babysitting?!)

As for dice, I was thinking of using something more simple like a Dogs in the Vineyard style system (where the motto is: "say yes or roll," so when everyone agrees there's no need to bog things down) or even a dice-less resource based system like Nobilis (where if you have a good skill in something, you're assumed to be able to do it unless you meet someone with a similar skill, then you have to decide how badly you want it and spend resources)

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

icekatze wrote:hi hi

I had an idea for a short-ish game... /snip
This is a really good idea. All of us or at least most of us have great story ideas that we could probably turn into a short little campaign--meaning we could all take turns running games, or have them all going at the same time (though that has cluster**** potential). That way those who want to both play a game AND run a game aren't left out.

We'd need a quick format for making up new characters, probably.
Ashrain is best rain.

CptWinters

Post by CptWinters »

At the risk of becoming shrill, I would again suggest Minimus as a format that is simple, easy, and free to access. If nothing else, give it a brief look; it's only two pages of rules. http://adastragames.com/discus.html The bottom link is the most recent version, I believe.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

icekatze wrote:As for dice, I was thinking of using something more simple like a Dogs in the Vineyard style system (where the motto is: "say yes or roll," so when everyone agrees there's no need to bog things down) or even a dice-less resource based system like Nobilis (where if you have a good skill in something, you're assumed to be able to do it unless you meet someone with a similar skill, then you have to decide how badly you want it and spend resources)
Well what i like about dice is, even if your are the most skilled warrior (or what ever class) there always a chance you miss (roll 1). An even if your really bad at it, there always a chance you get lucky (roll 20) But what ever the outcome, you need to roll with it (pun intended)
Count Casimir wrote:
icekatze wrote: (though that has cluster**** potential).
Unrelated to the subject but were you the one to sensor that or is it a forum feature?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Karst45 wrote: Unrelated to the subject but were you the one to sensor that or is it a forum feature?

This is a forum feature. It can be disabled within your user control panel in Board Preferences/Edit Display Options/Enable word censoring.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

If random numer is needed, so how is last number of time stamp?
Supporter of forum RPG