Page 165: Dalid is Dalid

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

SaintofM

Re: Page 165: Dalid is Dalid

Post by SaintofM »

I find it makes sense that they have little sayings. Most peoples on Earth have proverbs or little sayings that have a grain of truth in them

In War, Fathers bury their sons
When the Cat's away the mice are at play
When you step in the cow field check your boots.
Never Argue with an idiot; they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience (Mark Twain)
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder. (Alfred Hitchcock)

They are quick easy ways to teach a lesson and keep it in one's mind.

I am also curious if Spiral, which has been as goofy as Ghidra's Kevin head at this point, will wax poetics with Jardin as she answers his proverb with her own.

Murph

Post by Murph »

My favorite phrase comes from this man: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvestre_S._Herrera

"Courage is being scared to death, but doing your job anyway".

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Arioch wrote:[…] Fear is the mind-killer.
A human referencing the Bene Gesserit’s litany against fear would have been pretty cool (and over the top now I think of it).
Arioch wrote:And in particular, in the context of the story, fear serves no useful purpose in their current situation.
100% agree

kiwi

Post by kiwi »

There's also the academic version: I shall not waffle. Waffle is the mind-killer.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

kiwi wrote:There's also the academic version: I shall not waffle. Waffle is the mind-killer.
Or the cook's: I shall waffle, for waffles are delicious.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

See at naught to be afeared about said Spiral with her eyes closed. 8-)
Outsider in Russian

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I can also see Temp's question, and by extension that of Beryl, is probing Alex to see how he does under pressure. A potential allied race in a war this bloody would need to be able t handle themselves in bad times. Abandoned, alone, and in the heart of an enemy assault of tremendous size, this would be a test of mettle for anyone.

If nothing else, how he handles this may get him some browny points with the space elves

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

SVlad
Salient point, how Spiral is saying that with her eyes closed is like she is saying a mantra to keep HERSELF calm.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

boldilocks wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I do not understand this sentence. Parsing error...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Krulle wrote:
boldilocks wrote:Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
I'm guessing that either this is a Spiral impersonation, or he had a stroke.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

happens when you try to formulate your thoughts...
And when usually doing Sanzai, using words is hard.
I also presume that the Loroi-native "language" (not "Trade") has a totally different semantic, and it would therefore be hard to formulate your thoughts in our web-trade-language.
This is hard for most Humans already.

(;

DCR

Post by DCR »

Arioch wrote:
Krulle wrote:
I'm guessing that either this is a Spiral impersonation, or he had a stroke.
It's an older meme, but it checks out.
I looked at the time stamp and now I'm feeling old. I remember when this was new...

ANYWAY, don't know if I mistrust the historians less than the Loroi at this point, so while I want to chastise Alexander, I do not really have a solid basis for doing so.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Man, if Arioch had put out these pages 1 month later it would have been a 10-year memeversary.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Never heard of that meme. Thanks for pointing it out.
Because usually memes make a sense somehow, but this sentence?
It became a meme because it's non-parseable, even in the context of the image you provided.

So, let me reply with a different meme:
We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

(Original context of my reply)
SpoilerShow
PC game "Star-Control 2", and in the OpenSource-variant: The Ur-Quan Masters:
The Kohr-Ah in reply to your statement:
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
BTW: for fun I tried to see what the video reference in the meme is about, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQTmcD9vVYc just return "Video unavailable This video is private". So, a Wii game....
Makes about as much sense as my reply to the meme.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Not my babes not in my town!

novius

Post by novius »

SaintofM wrote:I can also see Temp's question, and by extension that of Beryl, is probing Alex to see how he does under pressure. A potential allied race in a war this bloody would need to be able t handle themselves in bad times. Abandoned, alone, and in the heart of an enemy assault of tremendous size, this would be a test of mettle for anyone.

If nothing else, how he handles this may get him some browny points with the space elves
Notwithstanding the fact that she could still be a top-notch playactor - after all, people successful in the spook business would have to be - it could be that there is no 'master plan' behind her recent actions, only that she sees the current situation, and the VIP she is responsible for in immediate danger, as a personal failure and thus feeling quite a load of shame and regret.

That would fit with her behavior in the recent pages where she's hestitant to approach Alex directly, only after seeing that he remains in good spirits around the others. Even her short exchange with Beryl could have been a question like "How is he?" .

About the construct's warning? Maybe the Loroi do have some nefarious agenda concerning the humans. Maybe the historians have some nefarious agenda concerning the humans and it would serve them to drive a wedge between humans and Loroi. But answering that question may help to decide whether Tempo's sorrows are genuine or just an act to get back in Alex's good graces, especially after Talon, Spiral and even Cloud sort of pulling ahead of her in that regard.

Though... Now I'm wondering a bit about Fireblade and her joining the fun. On the other hand, Fireblade and fun may not really mix, I think, unless it involves bending things and people into interesting shapes with just a glance.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

after all, people successful in the spook business would have to be
I think people tend to overestimate how spooks work in real life. They're not really particularly clever, and they don't have to be, because their targets aren't particularly clever either. A good example is Epstein. All you need for a honey-pot operation to work is some honey, and the dumber bears will flock to you.
For spooks, humans want to trust each-other.
And the moment you've become slightly invested in the relationship the spook builds with you, you'll start defending the relationship because if it turns out to be fake, that he was taking you for a ride, that reflects badly on your own ego.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:
I think people tend to overestimate how spooks work in real life. They're not really particularly clever, and they don't have to be, because their targets aren't particularly clever either. A good example is Epstein. All you need for a honey-pot operation to work is some honey, and the dumber bears will flock to you.
And the moment you've become slightly invested in the relationship the spook builds with you, you'll start defending the relationship because if it turns out to be fake, that he was taking you for a ride, that reflects badly on your own ego.
"Spook" is slang for a spy, not a swindler or a serial child molester.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Arioch wrote:
boldilocks wrote:
"Spook" is slang for a spy, not a swindler or a serial child molester.

Yeah, those are more examples of confidence man (or con man for short), and the later when it comes to honey pot type things, whatever you call someone that gets blackmail material regardless of the legality of the girls in question.