Page 167: This one's out early

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

boldilocks

Page 167: This one's out early

Post by boldilocks »

So does the tattoo symbolize a sun or moon above an ocean or a wave?

Werra

Re: Page 167: This one's out early

Post by Werra »

Could the stand pose Talon and Spiral strike be an example of teamwork enhanced by Loroi telepathy? They're both leaning into each other, presumably without having had to look.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

not only, what does the tattoo indicate? what does the writing on spirals arm say/indicate?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Werra wrote:Could the stand pose Talon and Spiral strike be an example of teamwork enhanced by Loroi telepathy? They're both leaning into each other, presumably without having had to look.
That, and the fact that both are pointing at their respective tattoos at the same time, while apparently Spiral did not interrupt Talon's explanation, seems to indicate that Talon is choreographing the show telepathically.

We're getting an indication of telepathy ad-hoc effectiveness here...

asaenvolk wrote:not only, what does the tattoo indicate? what does the writing on spirals arm say/indicate?
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider120.html has a short table of phonetics,
phonetically I get to "EA", which does not seem to form a word, and therefore seems to be either incomplete, or an abbreviation for the task group/rank/position/I don't know/...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

But, this page is ADORABLE! Alex gets to see how varied and multifaceted the Loroi culture is.. they are not a monolithic one size fits all society...so like us humans!

And the posse Tallon and Spiral take just makes the heart skip a few beats...very adorable! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Krulle wrote:
Werra wrote:
asaenvolk wrote:not only, what does the tattoo indicate? what does the writing on spirals arm say/indicate?
https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider120.html has a short table of phonetics,
phonetically I get to "EA", which does not seem to form a word, and therefore seems to be either incomplete, or an abbreviation for the task group/rank/position/I don't know/...
Its, in the Loroi octal numerical system, and written from right to left, the unit number they're part of, namely the 51st raider squadron.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

GeoModder wrote:Its, in the Loroi octal numerical system, and written from right to left, the unit number they're part of, namely the 51st raider squadron.
If they wore EA on their shoulders I'm pretty sure all humanity would join the Umiak in jihad.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

On our uniforms it would be written "AE". :geek:

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

That pose reminded me of the Puma Sisters from Dominion Tank Police

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

GeoModder wrote:Its, in the Loroi octal numerical system, and written from right to left, the unit number they're part of, namely the 51st raider squadron.
Thanks for reminding me that the Loroi write right to left....
(Are they generally left-handed?)
So it's "AE"; from the Insider Trade Language Numerals page we then learn that means "63", but in an octal system.
that indeed converts to "51" (decimal), which indeed is the strike group.
Interesting that this is not on the outer hard-shell suit... (see Spiral's right shoulder on page 129).

Also have not checked their numerical system before, so I did not know they abbreviate numbers with letters....

boldilocks wrote:
If they wore EA on their shoulders I'm pretty sure all humanity would join the Umiak in jihad.
Seeing how many people still play games by EA, I wonder if humanity would not simply shrug their shoulders and watch the advertisements, pay the extras anyway, and ask where to send money to get a bonus extra nobody else has....
Also, it's not as if the Umiak system will be any less expensive for Humanity.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Krulle wrote:(Are they generally left-handed?)
Check the "Biology" section of the page. ;)

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

I love how they go "He's a grown up, treat him like one."

I also suspect Alex giving them the permission to talk about whatever maybe what Beryle was trying to stop him from doing. Comedicly, it will be embarising enough for the other main three Loroai to facepalm or the see no evil hear no evil hear no evil stance.

Seriously they may let slip something tactically important.

I can also see Jardin freezing in the next panel and the two flight ocks going: Cold, what cold. Largely because after being in Idaho for three years strait...I acclimatized.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

MomBeryl: "Stop teaching silly things to my baby boy." :lol:

Voitan

Post by Voitan »

It means EAT ALCOHOL.
q *GLUG GLUG GLUG*
:V
Turrosh Mak wrote:That pose reminded me of the Puma Sisters from Dominion Tank Police

I thought that also, but couldn't find a picture where they were shoulder to shoulder.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Krulle wrote:
Thanks for reminding me that the Loroi write right to left....
(Are they generally left-handed?)
So it's "AE"; from the Insider Trade Language Numerals page we then learn that means "63", but in an octal system.
that indeed converts to "51" (decimal), which indeed is the strike group.
Interesting that this is not on the outer hard-shell suit... (see Spiral's right shoulder on page 129).

Also have not checked their numerical system before, so I did not know they abbreviate numbers with letters....

boldilocks wrote:
Seeing how many people still play games by EA, I wonder if humanity would not simply shrug their shoulders and watch the advertisements, pay the extras anyway, and ask where to send money to get a bonus extra nobody else has....
Also, it's not as if the Umiak system will be any less expensive for Humanity.
All I can say is, this is far more attention to detail than the average comic.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Where does Beryl come from that those two are backwards savages?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:Where does Beryl come from that those two are backwards savages?
Perhaps its a inferiority complex from her side. She's literally born in space and raised on a desolate desert world.

RedDwarfIV

Post by RedDwarfIV »

boldilocks wrote:
Reminds me of the jokes people made about this ship I designed:
In this case it stands for Earth Authority.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

I think Beryl's comment is more down to the Loroi concept of how luck works in general. For the Loroi Luck is a zero-sum affair, for someone to be lucky someone else nearby has to be an equal part unlucky; which means that for the Loroi someone who is lucky is seen as a mobile jinx for those around them. Alex is the sole survivor of a ship, to the Loroi this means that he is alive because he sucked and used up the luck of everyone around him. Now Alex was meant to be just a passenger in a routine shuttle but... it looks like he sucked up all the luck again.

Bear in mind that according to word of God Fireblade also has such a reputation of Luck. Stillstorm as well.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Wouldn't fireblade be able to use pyrokinesis to heat up one of the steel walls inside the ship to act as a radiator, or would that be too taxing on her in the long run?