It's that time again: Rise of Skywalker

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Werra

Re: It's that time again: Rise of Skywalker

Post by Werra »

SpoilerShow
The Emperor broadcasted his message to the galaxy in a Fortnite DLC. So yeah.
Arioch wrote:but in this case the premise was so flawed that I don't see any execution that could have saved it.
They should have switched tracks and make Kylo the main character in a greek tragedy. The main theme would be how far a man will go in a futile attempt to resist faith/the will of the gods/the force in the shape of a literal deus ex machina, Rey "Skywalker". Embrace Reys perfection and unlikeability and have the main character try his hardest defesting somebody that trounced him like three times already.

Roeben

Post by Roeben »

Imagine a Movie so bad that a non-controversial and telegraphed kissu is the high point of the film. If you had asked me 5 years ago, I would have never believed it could be worse then the prequels, and that's before i watched the plinkett reviews.

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

I don't see how ep9 is so much worse ep8. They are equally bad in my opinion.
Outsider in Russian

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Let's face it, it was episode 7 that set the low bar. That's why people were praising a mediocre film like Rogue One, it looked comparatively good.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SVlad wrote:I don't see how ep9 is so much worse ep8. They are equally bad in my opinion.
I think they are bad in different ways. Last Jedi had some interesting themes and moments, but which were dragged down by the director's weird agenda, dark tone, obsessive need to "subvert expectations", and just poor execution. Rise of Skywalker has much better intentions, but the script is so insultingly stupid and poorly executed that I really couldn't identify a single scene that I didn't think was awful.

Which style of awful is worse is a matter of opinion, of course.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Not going to lie, I genuanly enjoyed Rogue One, sorry you didn't.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

asaenvolk wrote:Not going to lie, I genuanly enjoyed Rogue One, sorry you didn't.
For some reason this post isn't appearing in the thread, so I'm quoting it so it can be seen.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

odd, okay, TEST TEST

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Great rundown. Spoilers abound.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Arioch wrote:
asaenvolk wrote:Not going to lie, I genuanly enjoyed Rogue One, sorry you didn't.
For some reason this post isn't appearing in the thread, so I'm quoting it so it can be seen.
For once, the demons of the digital world saw fit to censor an opinion that was truly despicable :lol:

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I was disappointed in Rogue One, but I don't think it's a bad movie. It may be the best of the Disney Star Wars offerings.

As with Force Awakens (and Phantom Menace, for that matter), the trailers for Rogue One led me to expect that the movie would be better than it was. They should take whoever puts these trailers together and let him or her direct the actual movies.

It didn't help that almost half of the shots in the Rogue One trailers weren't even in the released movie. We'll probably never know whether Disney's reshoots made the movie better or worse, but they definitely left noticeable marks on the film and probably contributed to the disjointed, confused plot.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

I wonder if in a few years after Disney drops the franchise, somebody will try to make a movie from Legends sources. Maybe one about Mara Jade.

Or maybe SW is beyond recovery at this point.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Personally, I'm done with it so long as Disney owns it.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

I have a habit of saving some of my annual leave days for christmas to New Year off with my relatives and was dragged of to see this movie with them. It was... When I first heard of the "Death Star" guns on ordinary star destroyers I believed it to be a bad joke. I was wrong, they are there. I understand that the expanded universe produced some massive vessel many times larger then a super star destroyer specifically to carry a single of those guns that join their streams on a death star. It could do, as I understand what they do in Rouge One when limiting the use of the Death Stars destructive power while fireing only one of thease. The rest of the plot is just as lame and to give a major role to a dead actor is just wierd as well.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Sweforce wrote:Giving a major role to a dead actor is just wierd as well.
Yeah, that was a very strange decision. Didn't she even die in the timespan between finishing shooting TLJ and publishing of the movie? Had Leia died in TLJ, that movie would have been better. Instead both movies had to deal with her miraculously surviving.

If some of the rumors that came out are true, it sounds like Kathleen Kennedy ruined Star Wars more than any director.
Rumors are:
She backstabbed Spielberg and got his proposed ideas for 7 - 9 thrown out.
Forced a feminist angle on the movies.
Didn't plan out the trilogy ahead of time.
Picked the wrong directors.
Greenlit atrocious scripts. Sometimes insisted on making them worse.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:Yeah, that was a very strange decision. Didn't she even die in the timespan between finishing shooting TLJ and publishing of the movie? Had Leia died in TLJ, that movie would have been better. Instead both movies had to deal with her miraculously surviving.
Yeah, that was a missed opportunity... but Last Jedi was a solid 153 minutes of missed opportunities...

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Wow.

Why can't Disney just hire these people?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

The opening moments of the battle of coruscant is kind of ridiculous, though.
Was palpatine shrouding all the jedi and all the radars on coruscant to such an extent that an enemy fleet could get into the system and into the actual atmosphere before anyone spotted them?
Also, check the 2 first poses that Windu and Yoda makes. They make a declaration while their legs are spread in a wide stance and with an arm thrown out in front of them.
Seems kinda hammy, at least for yoda.

Werra

Post by Werra »

Yoda is really old, okay? You can't blame him for sleeping in on D-Day.

The action is good, but the story makes no sense.

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Werra wrote:Yoda is really old, okay? You can't blame him for sleeping in on D-Day.

The action is good, but the story makes no sense.
From the video description:
Q: How did the CIS fleet sneak in undetected?
A: Darth Sidious gave the CIS the location of a secret hyperspace lane through the galactic core unknown to The Republic. This allowed the CIS fleet to enter orbit directly from hyperspace, destroying hundreds of Venator Class star destroyers before they were able to raise shields & jamming all communications to prevent reinforcement (which Republic forces eventually overcame).