174-175: Got milk?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

dragoongfa

174-175: Got milk?

Post by dragoongfa »

Ah, Beryl...
You are in for a ride!

novius

Re: 174-175: Got milk?

Post by novius »

As I already said in Discord
Eyebrows lowered, slight vertical furrow over her nose, downturned corners of her mouth... Yup, I'd say Beryl's slightly ticked off. (in the last panel)
She was rather quick shifting from shocked that humans seem to have some rather wierd kinks (by Loroi standards) to 'slightly ticked off' that he seems to intend to try said kinks on someone else, rather than her....

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

But now we know the Loroi don't use all animal-products for nutrients.
Or, depending on planet, they simply don't have the fauna for "milk".

Maybe Tempo will jump in, telling them that he likely means the milk of some form of cattle.
Referencing the "weird" food they eat on her planet.

But I'm more astonished, that Alex knew the word for "product of lactating breastfeeding animal" in standard.
It would not be among the words I would consider as "likely to be used at all".
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

orion1836

Post by orion1836 »

Perhaps the Soia-Liron races are lactose intolerant and have to use soya-based substitutes?

...I'll show myself out.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

Last three panels are gold. I laughed.

EDIT:

Question: Would Loroi have Blue Milk?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Does this mean none of the alien species known to the Loroi use dairy products, except for offspring in the suckling stage?

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

A galaxy of nations without cheese?
It would seem humanity's mission has been defined.

Also, these human males are even more lightweight and lusty than loroi ones. One small sip of narcotics and he's already pawing at their chests? It's going to be a long wait for rescue.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Bwahahahaha! Oh God's ...my sides! Yup, Beryl is a scream! :lol:

Loroi would completely miss the joke ~ "Blessed are the Cheese makers for they will...", 'Does he mean only cheese makers or all dairy product makers?'

- Damn, no milk, cheese, butter, or ice cream! Truly a Universe of Unbelievers!

What was the VERY first thing 'John Criton' of FARSCAPE craved when he got back to Earth? MILK! "...It does a body good!"
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

boldilocks wrote:A galaxy of nations without cheese?
It would seem humanity's mission has been defined.
We need the best man for the job.

Random Person

Post by Random Person »

I've got to say Beryl's blush looks weird. It looks like she just has some of those glare-reducing face markings you see on American football players rather than an actual blush. I think it's a combination of being too small of an area darkening, not quite the right area darkening, and the hard edges of the blush.
Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? It's not my department. -Wernher von Braun

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

...she just wants to be 'milked' as well! lol!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Random Person wrote:I've got to say Beryl's blush looks weird. It looks like she just has some of those glare-reducing face markings you see on American football players rather than an actual blush. I think it's a combination of being too small of an area darkening, not quite the right area darkening, and the hard edges of the blush.
I am of the opinion that Arioch got frustrated trying to get it just right and said 'Fuck it, I am posting it and going to sleep; will fix it after!'

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

She is an alien, after all, so maybe the flushing in their faces happens differently than with us baseline Humans?
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

The horror when they realize how the dairy industry works.

DCR

Post by DCR »

Krulle wrote:She is an alien, after all, so maybe the flushing in their faces happens differently than with us baseline Humans?
Now you're just talking crazy. /s But I'm curious, they might even not experience osteoporosis... or Cap'n Jardin is going to be known as the great savior of Loroi bones.

Krin

Post by Krin »

If Alex doesn't get nicknamed Milkman I'm going to be wholeheartedly disappointed. :lol:

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

I wonder if adult Loroi would be lactose intolerant, assuming similar "chemical" composition for milk.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Losing the ability to digest lactose in adulthood seems like a pretty random "adaptation." I would be curious to know whether this is common in other mammals as well... but I would be surprised if there is a lot of data on this.

A quick search suggests that both dogs and cats can also be lactose intolerant as adults, so it may be that there's a specific advantage to losing this ability, or perhaps it's just a common quirk to mammalian biochemistry.

Loroi digestive systems are extremely hardy, so I doubt that something like lactose would cause them any distress, even if they couldn't metabolize it.

knight_of_meh

Post by knight_of_meh »

Arioch wrote:Losing the ability to digest lactose in adulthood seems like a pretty random "adaptation." I would be curious to know whether this is common in other mammals as well... but I would be surprised if there is a lot of data on this.
The mutation as far as i know is the genetic allele for lactase persistence( the enzyme that digests lactose) which is really random except northern Europe where it's like 90% present in the population. losing the ability isn't such a weird adaptation either it costs energy to maintain enzyme levels and there wouldn't be a lot of milk around after we were weaned. Consider for the significant portion of our evolution cows and goats were not the diary producing monsters we have selectively bred them for. So no selective pressure to maintain the ability.

And a quick look around in the abstracts of some studies seems to claim it gets down regulated in most mammals. Cats and dogs are always iffy in studies not only because people don't like testing on them but also because our selective breeding on them specifically related to keeping juvenile behaviour which may have had a lot of unforeseen consequences.

jterlecki

Post by jterlecki »

I was thinking also that consuming Loroi breastmilk could be potentially dangerous for a human. The human body sometimes has strange reactions to "unknown" proteins. Anaphylactic shock anyone? Then again, it could prove to be completely harmless.