176: Low Tide!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

man_of_foul_tofu

176: Low Tide!

Post by man_of_foul_tofu »

Well, splinters of an ancient empire. I love the storyline that this opens up. It has lore and history, ancient echos of past empires with towering achievements and their subsequent fall.

Burning question is - where was the home world? Is it in any way shape or form related to the current location of isolated Humanity?

Link : https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider176.html

bunnyboy

Re: 176: Low Tide!

Post by bunnyboy »

Which one you want to have dinner date with?
I myself really cant decide.
Supporter of forum RPG

Fotiadis_110

Post by Fotiadis_110 »

So skipping the Lore question which can be discovered elsewhere....
Who to ask out for dinner eh?

I don't think any of them would be a bad partner (although Fireblade would be a bit quiet for my tastes) but you might need to express a need to avoid the topic of what exactly they are eating till after they have found foods that would suit their tastes.

Feeding someone delicious lamb shank is easy enough: explaining to them the image they have of cute fluffy lambs frolicking in the meadows is absolute bull and that lambs are temperamental troublemakers who like to break perfectly good fences because they want to try the taste of a small clump of grass on the other side and are prone to attacking people in their turf once you get over the whole 'fear of strange animals' that sheep usually have? Tough.

That and the fact that over the winter a farm can only sustain perhaps 5 thousand animals who give birth to on average 10 thousand lambs so there has to be a trimming back of the population to permit those animals retained to have plenty of good food to eat in future tends to be ignored with folks not on the forefront of the agricultural industry. Gotta grow the food somewhere.

And then there are Vegetarians. Thank goodness they exist: after all the price of meat would only be higher with their demand added to the food supply. On the other hand: the total land area that can be used to grow crops they desire at prices they can afford? Less than 2% of the worlds land surface. Where can we grow grass and raise animals? About 20%. The rest were marginal for agriculture but humans have found ways to manage anyway. Eh.
You can grow grass on a steep hillside and send those lambs up to eat it. Good luck getting a complicated crop harvester machine up and down that hill without tipping over.
If we ALL went vegetarian? Reduce the global population to 6 billion max. Everyone else has to forage in steep terrain/swamps/high altitudes/poor soil types.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Is it me, or is Tempo always in a "posing" stance? Bet she'd like Instagram....

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

It's Cloud and her 'I've just been a little bit sick in my mouth' expression that made me just spill my coffee!
:)

Highlord

Post by Highlord »

Beryl: "Tell me of your homeworld, Usul Alex."

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

bunnyboy wrote:Which one you want to have dinner date with?
Tempo is the only one I'd trust to behave correctly in a fancy restaurant. The pilots would be childish and pretend to be grossed out by everything, Beryl would sneak out into the kitchen to find out how human cuisine is prepared, and Fireblade would not even let herself be invited.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

gaerzi wrote:
Tempo is the only one I'd trust to behave correctly in a fancy restaurant. The pilots would be childish and pretend to be grossed out by everything, Beryl would sneak out into the kitchen to find out how human cuisine is prepared, and Fireblade would not even let herself be invited.
These are soldiers who have spent most of their lives on military food rations. Given the chance eat in a proper restaurant using ingredients adapted to their digestive system they would go crazy.

Arent

Post by Arent »

gaerzi wrote:
That would be a hilarious side story.

dex drako

Post by dex drako »

i agree tempo wuold likely be the only one that could do a sit down dinner, tho Beryl would be to cute asking her endless questions
man_of_foul_tofu wrote: Burning question is - where was the home world? Is it in any way shape or form related to the current location of isolated Humanity?
just to be nice
SpoilerShow
leading theory the "precursors" of this story went around the little bubble of the galaxy copying naturally evolved species in their own genetic material. so the loroi have no home world because they did not evolve they were made based losely off of the naturally evolved form and powers of humans.

this point will cause problem later on in the story because loroi believe themselves to be the precursors not just another genetically engineered work/warrior race they made.

Quickdraw101

Post by Quickdraw101 »

Tempo and Fireblade would probably be the best suited for a formal setting such as a restaurant, but that's also because they are the most mature Loroi present. Beryl would be fine as well, but she'd pester you with questions about the food.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Quickdraw101 wrote:Tempo and Fireblade would probably be the best suited for a formal setting such as a restaurant, but that's also because they are the most mature Loroi present. Beryl would be fine as well, but she'd pester you with questions about the food.
*FIREBLADE KNOW WHAT FORK TO HANDLE, CHILD-THINGS!*

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

It is interesting to see a female lead species react to milk and dairy products being so normal. Are the Perin like the middle east in terms of food or are they just the type to eat soy based flavorless food and call it fine dining to be smug?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

lol. Definitely Spiral... gotta say, she's really grown on me...very cute! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Ah. I forgot mention that they would be choosing the place which serve the food they are accustomed.
Supporter of forum RPG

Arent

Post by Arent »

sunphoenix wrote:
lol. Definitely Spiral... gotta say, she's really grown on me...very cute! :)
Yepp, Spiral. Her antics about gurgle gurgle noises were just funny.

Mercy Machine

Post by Mercy Machine »

Fotiadis_110 wrote:You can grow grass on a steep hillside and send those lambs up to eat it. Good luck getting a complicated crop harvester machine up and down that hill without tipping over.
Yes, it is totally impossible to grow crops on steep slopes, and my ancestors certainly haven't been doing it for a few thousand years:Image
Mr.Tucker wrote:Is it me, or is Tempo always in a "posing" stance? Bet she'd like Instagram....
It's not you. Her body-language always looks studied.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Mercy Machine wrote:
Fotiadis_110 wrote:You can grow grass on a steep hillside and send those lambs up to eat it. Good luck getting a complicated crop harvester machine up and down that hill without tipping over.
Yes, it is totally impossible to grow crops on steep slopes, and my ancestors certainly haven't been doing it for a few thousand years:Image
Mr.Tucker wrote:Is it me, or is Tempo always in a "posing" stance? Bet she'd like Instagram....
It's not you. Her body-language always looks studied.

Also, I bet she always keep a partial Lotai to avoid other Loroi from reading too much from her. Think in how much self-control and concentration she has to maintain every second.

Erak256

Post by Erak256 »

Is it me, or is Tempo always in a "posing" stance?
I'd imagine she is.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

She's not posing she's just sexy... :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."