176: Low Tide!

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

icekatze

Re: 176: Low Tide!

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I know it wouldn't lead to as interesting a topic as each species' homeworld, I would also curious if the Loroi haven't invented any kind of artificial milk. (baby formula)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

icekatze wrote:I know it wouldn't lead to as interesting a topic as each species' homeworld, I would also curious if the Loroi haven't invented any kind of artificial milk. (baby formula)
Stands to reason that they would have something like that.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Would they need formula at all? At the rate they grow to adult-hood, it seems they'd be weaned within a week.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

boldilocks wrote:Would they need formula at all? At the rate they grow to adult-hood, it seems they'd be weaned within a week.
Heh, not quite. Loroi children mature roughly twice as fast as human children, so it would probably be 2-3 months before a Loroi baby can eat solid food, but he or she will still (ideally) supplement this with milk until at least 1 year of age.

Since most Loroi mothers are warriors, and frequently quite busy (to the point where they often trigger premature birth), it makes sense that many wouldn't always have a lot of time for breastfeeding. And since there's no cow's milk, that means some kind of artificial formula.

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

It would also mean that there would likely be wet nurses as well, or at least once was at one time.

Weasel

Post by Weasel »

bunnyboy wrote:Which one you want to have dinner date with?
I myself really cant decide.
Doesn't that depend on who is lactating?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Arioch wrote:
icekatze wrote:I know it wouldn't lead to as interesting a topic as each species' homeworld, I would also curious if the Loroi haven't invented any kind of artificial milk. (baby formula)
I always thought that wet nursing would be common since all of the children are given to care giving creches; some if not all of the caretakers being wet nurses for the toddlers makes sense both from a practical and societal sense.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

dragoongfa wrote:
Arioch wrote:
I always thought that wet nursing would be common since all of the children are given to care giving creches; some if not all of the caretakers being wet nurses for the toddlers makes sense both from a practical and societal sense.

Depends on the timing really - they may wait until the child is weaned but still requires other forms of caretaking by an adult.

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Have we already discussed what Loroi may think about humans and their attachment to their children, specially on the female case?

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Warriors being on standby for deployment/fighting can't be around to breastfeed their children, even if they wanted to. In ancient times even more so since their warrior duties must have involved dangerous duties that later became automated/redundant (policing the civilian castes, border patrols, low scale fighting/raiding between clans); having trusted wet nurses to feed their toddlers must have been part of the norm, if not a crucial part of their unspoken social contract.
Hell, it could even serve to induce a sense of loyalty to their family/caste/clan since they all drunk from the same milk as toddlers.
Up until recently in our history sharing a 'wet nurse' was seen as an intimate familial bond, especially between aristocrats and nobles where the women often run vital parts of the estate and as such could not dedicate the time necessary to take care of their children.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Weasel, I like the way you think, and you've won the contest for the best answer as far as I am concerned.

Also, I hope,you're all healthy.

I,hate being locked up, my kids even more so....

Stay healthy!
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Love the Dune Reference. Disappointed no one else commented on it.

I guess a couple questions to ask is:

What would the blue space elves use as a sweetener? Unless their pallet is geared towards bitter, I suspect they would.

Granted different cultures have different tastes. What is a popular treat in one country on Earth smells like death and tastes like old leather to another. I suspect with Tempo's comments, this might be the case for the cast that isn't pink.

The next one would where will Alex go with his descriptions. Its a common thing for most species in any given fiction that involves humans and none human sentient life forms humans will be the default (because we base things on that) and its main default is its diversity, its curiosity, and its ambitiousness. We see it from everything from Star Trek to Pathfinder, to Mass effect and beyond.

At the same time there is some homogenization in the real world. Clothing, styles of popular music, storytelling elements, even food.

Then again, this might be a good opportunity to talk about what normal life was like growing up. And if the Pocket Historian is listening in, he might have a file set up with some of the photos and entertainment on the ready.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

If one bases off Star Trek, there seems to be a universal constant in chocolate. There are many, many kinds of chocolate in local space around the Federation.

If one bases off Babylon 5, Swedish Meatballs is a content. All species in the known galaxy have some version of the thing. It is one of the galactic mysteries.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

SaintofM wrote:What would the blue space elves use as a sweetener? Unless their pallet is geared towards bitter, I suspect they would.
Sibreg fruit, Nagen sap, and the Bizal tuber are all sources of sugars.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

SaintofM wrote:What is a popular treat in one country on Earth smells like death and tastes like old leather to another.
You're talking about Oreos right?

I think SaintofM is talking about Oreos

;)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Or Marmite.
Or liquorice[sup]BE[/sup]/licorice[sup]AE[/sup]

edit: meh,, this forum does not have the phpBB tags for superscript...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

asaenvolk

Post by asaenvolk »

Can't be licorice
That smells like death AND tastes like death.

As for marmite, dono, never been foolish enough to try it.

Overkill Engine

Post by Overkill Engine »

asaenvolk wrote:Can't be licorice

Yeah anything anise flavored like black licorice is just vile in strong enough concentrations. One of the few flavorings that will literally make me puke. Hell just imagining the smell makes me nauseous. And what I read about the versions made overseas does not give me faith in its edibility there either.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Jagged wrote:You're talking about Oreos right?

I think SaintofM is talking about Oreos
Hmmm....might be some exotic jerky by the description.
asaenvolk wrote:Can't be licorice
Never tried the stuff. Looks woody :D .
But you're describing boiled peppers with vinegar...

Incinerator

Post by Incinerator »

Heathen barbarians, the lot of you!

Mmm.... licorice.