So, hm, speech?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

von Boomslang

So, hm, speech?

Post by von Boomslang »

Is there some... consensus or Word of God as to why the Loroi crews use voice to communicate in battle? Is it faster than Sanzai? Does it work better over long distance? Are they combining both for ease/speed of communication?

bunnyboy

Re: So, hm, speech?

Post by bunnyboy »

Because most Loroi can't use telepathic transmissions between ship-to-ship range.
Supporter of forum RPG

von Boomslang

Post by von Boomslang »

...well, durr, that makes sense. Just because some can doesn't mean these ones are used well on every one ship.

Thanks!

Aygar

Post by Aygar »

Speech is machine recordable where as Sanzai is not. Sanzai is also fairly range limited. IIRC an average Loroi cannot cover an entire ship with their own unamplified broadcast, messages relayed by Loroi in the vicinity. Inter-ship communications requires the use of radio which requires speech.

--Aygar
--Aygar

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Aygar wrote:Speech is machine recordable where as Sanzai is not. Sanzai is also fairly range limited. IIRC an average Loroi cannot cover an entire ship with their own unamplified broadcast, messages relayed by Loroi in the vicinity. Inter-ship communications requires the use of radio which requires speech.
Speech can also be sent to specific areas of the ship without having to take the care to telepathically send to a specific person. Using speech is more resilient in case of casualties or other changes in personnel, and you don't have everyone trying to broadcast loudly enough to be heard.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Good point Mjolnir. I figured that with all the emotional buzz of thoughts - pain, anxiety, yes and death going on... probably speech is more 'resilient' especially when trying to address those in your immediate area and range of hearing or even trying to address a very specific crew-person in command, helm, fire control stations who is outside telepathic transmission range.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

curt

Post by curt »

I don't know how much the author has thought into it, but taking the universe at face value it would also be valuable to use speech for recording purposes. It would be common during salvage/repair operations to recover whatever recording devices a ship had for postmortem analysis.

Taking it a step further, in the case of military inquiries or battle analysis, speech would be far easier to draw conclusions on, rather than the implied communication that may or may not have occurred.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

curt wrote:I don't know how much the author has thought into it, but taking the universe at face value it would also be valuable to use speech for recording purposes. It would be common during salvage/repair operations to recover whatever recording devices a ship had for postmortem analysis.
I don't think that quite as useful as you may think. Most data picked up by sensor would suffice. It not like you have so see if it a pilot error that caused the crash. Your at was so it most likely weapon fire and those would be picked up by the sensor.

But i guess there must be some kind of captain log or record for the purpose of relaying information to other fleet in different sector (hence mozin courier ship)

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

I think that electronical record is much niser way to save last words than send full sensory sanzai to unsuspecting telepath.
Think of it. You are just brushing teeths on morning or doing something else nice and suddenly "AAARRRGGHH!" And in bad case you may lose your sanity.
Supporter of forum RPG

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

curt wrote:I don't know how much the author has thought into it, but taking the universe at face value it would also be valuable to use speech for recording purposes.
He knows.
Arioch wrote:but since telepathic signals can't currently be recorded or retransmitted, spoken language is also used for radio communication and for making verbal records.
As was also mentioned, in addition to the range limitation to normal telepathy, voice has the advantage that it can be recorded and archived. The Listel are used to record telepathic communications, but of course they are not computers, so a voice record is much easier to search, index and cross-reference than a Listel's memory. The voice interactions between the Loroi officers on different ships are terse, formal, and somewhat stylized, as you will see in the comic very shortly.
Perhaps he's referring to such recorders on large ships, where you might want an audio record of what orders were given when, and such. Here the Listel on duty is the primary record, but this is obviously not sufficient, particularly if the ship is destroyed. Certain key types of orders will require a spoken component for the audio record... such things as weapons fire, change of duty, or other critical functions. These commands would either be spoken directly by the commander, or relayed in spoken words by one of the staff officers.

RaZ

Post by RaZ »

I was going to say, on the surface that seems inconsistent with page 40, but now that I think about it, it doesn't really.
We rely on sanzai for most communication
Realistically, most communication would still be telepathic. Generally, we talk to the people around us more than we talk to people further away (barring those who spend most of their time online). It would make sense for most of that conversation on a ship to be through sanzai, and then for the record or for 'long-distance' conversations, to go through radio, or the equivalent technological device.

Also, my totally high post count of 5 is now gone. :(

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL! Keep posting RaZ! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

halftea

Post by halftea »

Another thing to consider would be that while the Loroi may be the namesake of the Loroi Alliance, as well as a majority of the fighting force, they are an Allied military. Hence they need to train to be able to coordinate with other Allied ships in combat.

Since you fight as you have been trained, it would make sense to practice vocal communication from early stages in training. That way you have a system everyone is familiar with using in the heat of battle, since you can't exactly expect any Allied ships (The Historians, Barsam or whomever) to respond to telepathically placed orders.

osmium

Post by osmium »

In an effort to cover topics that are no longer present in the new forums:

Another reason is sort of sociological, namely that telepathic communication with a hostile party (initially other Loroi) was dangerous as it involved connecting your minds which invited psychic attacks. Similar to how MANY human cultures have gestures that sort of "prove" one isn't going to fight (such as shaking with the non shaking hand on the elbow of the shaking hand to prove that you aren't going to gut them with a concealed knife, or covering one fist with another hand etc), Loroi default to speech in the opposite situations, namely when one doesn't trust the other. As a result much of the Loroi's language is militant in nature. One's spoken name is sort of like throwing down the gauntlet it is like their warrior's name. Speaking is rude as it implies a lack of trust if not outright hostility. It's not surprising that it became associated with military things.

The others reasons which are very utilitarian in nature also apply.

-O

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

That's insightful and... {aheh}...heavy osmium! Nice points! New ways to look at the Loroi culture.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

osmium

Post by osmium »

Another interesting point is that the Loroi have maintained their own dialect of "trade" the linqua franca of Outsiders. It isn't exactly like esperanto, but it is a language designed to be used for interspecies communication. I don't remember off the top of my head if the Loroi knew trade before it was "reinstituted" as the language of diplomacy after the Soia collapse or exactly what the timeline was, but as far as I know trade is the only native Loroi language (despite current loroi civilization coexisting on 3? separate planets before they (re?)attained space travel). I'm a little rusty on the deal with Trade but I seem to recall it was designed to be simple and hence is very "regular" unlike most natural languages wherein the words that are used the most diverge from those that aren't resulting in the most oftenly used words shifting and becoming irregular in some way. I can't answer the obvious question of what's different about Loroi trade from normal trade because I don't recall if it's been touched on, but I'd say it's a good bet because it was the language of the Loroi that militaristic, combat, hostility, etc have slightly different forms from standard trade. Although clearly from the early interaction between Beryl and Alex there are much more extensive changes as Alex implied that it was hard to connect their speech with trade as he knows it.

-O

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

I believe that the last time it came up I made the analogy of a Chinese person taught English by a Brit trying to talk to someone in the Deep South.

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

The difference would seem to mostly be minor differences in vocabulary, based on the small number of terms Alex has not understood when talking to the Loroi (speaking Loroi dialect as opposed to the Orgus dialect that he would have been taught).

Nick

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

captainsmirk wrote:The difference would seem to mostly be minor differences in vocabulary, based on the small number of terms Alex has not understood when talking to the Loroi (speaking Loroi dialect as opposed to the Orgus dialect that he would have been taught).
Or Beryl is master of many dialects and she was already heard the enough of the record to decide which one is nearest.
Supporter of forum RPG

captainsmirk

Post by captainsmirk »

Given that it is supposed to be a universal language of communication I doubt there are going to be massive differences between dialects. I fact it would actually seem counterproductive to have differing dialects at all but I'm assuming those are a result of the hundreds of thousands of years dividing the modern era from the original Soia development of the language.

Nick