WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Murph

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Murph »

Well it was great while it lasted. Thanks for all the good times.

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Murph wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:01 pm
?

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

Murph wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:01 pm
Has the comic been cancelled? There has been no announcement about that.

Dorfington

Post by Dorfington »

No, it has not been cancelled. Arioch is most likely enjoying the Christmas holiday with his family and friends like the rest of us.

Despite what some new comers might think, we've had a period of unprecedented progress on the comic. There have been past hiatus' years in length only broken by a couple pages, so there's no need to panic.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Funny thing is that there are six pages mostly done on Patreon, 190 however does have something new that may cause a lot of creative trouble getting it to look just right.

boldilocks

Post by boldilocks »

Guys, when he said "It should be up on monday", he meant monday 2021. :lol:

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

When "Monday" becomes a nebulous word.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Well, I'm not paying for it, so I can't complain. Doing comics full time like ~twokinds can be financially rewarding but is also a high risk. At one time, the comic might be finished and if you apply for a job with a cv mentioning that you were drawing a webcomic, some people might reject you.

Then again, twokinds earns something like 8000$ per month ;)

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

boldilocks wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:21 pm
Guys, when he said "It should be up on monday", he meant monday 2021. :lol:
Nope. He meant the 23rd Monday in the second quarter of the year 2024.
Or whichever has has 23 Mondays in its second quarter.

:p
Ithekro wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:38 am
When "Monday" becomes a nebulous word.
monday is nebulous. Has always been. It just defines the day within a week when something is/should be done.

It's even so nebulous, that you cannot name it first day of the week, USamerican calendars often have Sunday as first day of the week, continental Europe at least has Sunday as seventh day of the week.
STAR CONTROL: The Ur-Quan Masters finally gets a continuation of the story!
(sorry for spamming, will amend signature again when Kickstarter has ended, or many complain about my signature)

DCR

Post by DCR »

Hoping all is well with Outsider, going through withdrawls from this and Lackadaisy, but willing to wait!

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Hanging around, nothing to do but frown...

Mr.Tucker

Post by Mr.Tucker »

Arent

Post by Arent »

Well I'm always coming here in between of Twokinds, Sandra & Woo, Gaia and Megatokyo. Since most Webcomics take some time to update, reading several in parallel just makes more sense ;)

Btw. I was a bit disappointed by the Master of Orion remake, any of you played that?

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Arent wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:55 pm

Btw. I was a bit disappointed by the Master of Orion remake, any of you played that?
I have. And I am not happy about the game either. The original MOO is tough but one *can* win. The remake.... I don't see how. AI is far too.... robust and efficient.... even on Easy.
The Philosophical Kensai

Still trying to master my craft...
As all Saints of the Sword do.

Ithekro

Post by Ithekro »

The remake? Its fine. Different but I've played it a lot.

A lot of the ways to win with the Wargaming made version is to control choke points. Deny access to large regions of space to the other races. Colonies behind those blocks. Increase your population and tech up to Battleships and Titans. The various DLC can make it fun as well, since they introduce the Masters of Orion II races and the Antaran threat, which I tend to make the victory condition. I don't let the computer have the option for an economic victory or a scientific one. Diplomatic and Domination remain on. Also the Terran Khanate has a lot of military advantages.

Sometimes I extend the end date by a few hundred years so I have time to Dominate even if I have already won by other means.

It seems easiest to win with Human, Terran, and of course the Elerians (because you can know where everyone is at almost all times, what worlds are worth taking, and where the best choke point will be to prevent anyone from getting to Orion before you can).

I like to play with a Huge Spiral Galaxy, as you only have to deal with one other race in you arm of the galaxy until you can stabilize wormholes, than you can make a rush into the core worlds and typically Orion. You can effectively cut off your neighbor from not only a large part of your own arm of the galaxy, but also cut them off from the Core Worlds, and sometimes even contact with any other species.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Ithekro wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:04 am
The remake? Its fine. Different but I've played it a lot.

A lot of the ways to win with the Wargaming made version is to control choke points. Deny access to large regions of space to the other races. Colonies behind those blocks. Increase your population and tech up to Battleships and Titans. The various DLC can make it fun as well, since they introduce the Masters of Orion II races and the Antaran threat, which I tend to make the victory condition. I don't let the computer have the option for an economic victory or a scientific one. Diplomatic and Domination remain on. Also the Terran Khanate has a lot of military advantages.

Sometimes I extend the end date by a few hundred years so I have time to Dominate even if I have already won by other means.

It seems easiest to win with Human, Terran, and of course the Elerians (because you can know where everyone is at almost all times, what worlds are worth taking, and where the best choke point will be to prevent anyone from getting to Orion before you can).

I like to play with a Huge Spiral Galaxy, as you only have to deal with one other race in you arm of the galaxy until you can stabilize wormholes, than you can make a rush into the core worlds and typically Orion. You can effectively cut off your neighbor from not only a large part of your own arm of the galaxy, but also cut them off from the Core Worlds, and sometimes even contact with any other species.
Pro:

-The graphics. I really adore how the nailed the various races. Especially the Silicoid. And the Mrrshan. And everyone else.

Con:

-you can explore the entire galaxy right from scratch. There is no fuel range anymore. It takes away that exploration feeling
-you can colonize every planet from scratch (like moo2) and don't need certain technologies for that (moo1)
-the races feel a bit off/less unique, especially the Mrrshan being less trigger happy (apparently moved to the Terrans)
-espionage with limited spies is not so great
-star lanes are not for me. They make the galaxy somehow 'smaller'
-I would prefer managing entire star systems at once, not single planets. But this is an issue I already have with Stellaris.
-the change to real time combat is ok, but they didn't change the weapons/technologies accordingly. It's hard to anticipate how well a certain loadout of your ships will fare against a certain enemy.

Murph

Post by Murph »

DCR wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 pm
Hoping all is well with Outsider, going through withdrawls from this and Lackadaisy, but willing to wait!
I think it is dead. *sigh* was my every day stop.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Murph wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:35 am
DCR wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 pm
I think it is dead. *sigh* was my every day stop.
It isn't dead. Patreon has posts showing strip 198. I'm just afraid Arioch is going to post all 9 at the same time, then we will suffer another 5 month drought.

Arioch, pace yourself, buddy. Post one a month if you have to, but please post something soon. I needs my blue space elves, even sad Fireblade.

Said2k

Post by Said2k »

I prefer the monthly release and I don't want multiple pages to be released at once so it could keep me interested without pulling me away with a dry spell.

spacewhale

Post by spacewhale »

Rabban! I place you in charge of Patreon. It's yours to squeeze, as I promised. I want you to squeeze and squeeze and squeeze! Give me posts! Drive them. Drive them into utter submission! Do not show the slightest pity or mercy! Never stop. Go. Go! Show no mercy!