So, hm, speech?

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

bunnyboy

Re: So, hm, speech?

Post by bunnyboy »

Problems of universal langeage are.
  • Not everyone is capaple of to use same pronunciation.
    And with alienspecies it is more serious then "chineses can't say R"
  • The meanings of words may be different, especially abstract things, like feelings and colors.
    Image ;)
  • You speak usually only with beings on couple of neighbourg systems, not those living other side of galaxy.
  • Languages are dynamic, so meanings, words and pronunciation will change over time.
    Like Finnish word VIHAINEN which means angry, but in different old dialects also plenty, hard, fast, hungry, sick, hurting, bitter, magical and poisonous. Original meaning was probably green. And this is from area size of New Mexico.
Supporter of forum RPG

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

There are still bigger difficulties in language out there though. If I recall correctly, the Umiak's own language is practically a form of binary using clicking sounds.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOLS! I LOVE Goblins! Minmax has really turned into a ...lovable hero!

:( I just hope the art does not change with Thunt passing the flame... I really don't want to see 'Order of the Stick' art style on my goblins comic... i'll drop it if it does - and reminisce about the "Good Ole' days...' {Sigh!}

Oh... yeah and how many different dialects the the Iroquois Native American tribes have for the same language... mostly?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix wrote:LOLS! I LOVE Goblins! Minmax has really turned into a ...lovable hero!

:( I just hope the art does not change with Thunt passing the flame... I really don't want to see 'Order of the Stick' art style on my goblins comic... i'll drop it if it does - and reminisce about the "Good Ole' days...' {Sigh!}
you do realize that his announce of him leaving the comic coincide with the 1st April aka April fool?

osmium

Post by osmium »

@ Nick/captainsmirk

While that could certainly be a cause for some confusion(vastly different pronunciations and slang) I was actually thinking more along the lines of mexican-spanish vs spain-spanish where mexican-spanish has removed an entire verb conjugation form i.e. 2nd person plural (vosotros). (yes in the south they use y'all but that's a one-off and not really a potential verb conjugation that could be applied to all verbs) Not only do they pronounce things differently, the dialects have diverged so much that there isn't a one to one translation. Also there can be more systemic dialectual differences than just the occasional reassignment of a word meaning, such as "fixin" meaning "intending to" such as "I'm fixin' to go to the store", sometimes dialects remove or add words that don't really translate back to the original dialect well and not just because it's taken on a whole new meaning or that the word is user dependent in meaning (not going to mention one so as to not stir up a debate, but if you're american you'll think of one quickly).

-O