[RP] Incursion (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: [RP] Incursion (OOC)

Post by sunphoenix »

Hmmm... put in that light... the 1 to 8 female male gender distribution...does indeed indicate something quite different from humaniti is going on in the Loroi biology and gametes.

So I can indeed see your point on the matter... a lot would have to be...different between their hormonal balance than humans...to say the least.

Ok. I'll have Maiannon react occassional to the natural biological needs of his Loroi gender. Now don't worry... it will be in good taste and will be less frequent than a full-blooded Loroi male.
It will manifest as a slowing growing edginess and perhaps slowly building fatigue or nervous energy... a little like the much acclaimed 'Pan Far' of the Vulcans... but more like the 'Young Spock' in STAR TREK: The Journey Home. Sort of manifesting as a slowly building fever and a rise in his body temperature as the hormonal build up and withdraw from the dopamine or whatever passes for endorphins in Loroi - slowly degrade his motor skills, attention span and make his Sanzai abilities erratic. Not life threatening, mind you, but putting him a weakened state if left... un-handled progresses to an almost constant state of fatigue, tension and angry mood shifts with manic behavior.

It would purely be a RP matter... which the Loroi females around him will quickly realize why he seems so easily fatigued and frustrated. When he occasionally seems to act like he is without fear or overly overconfident of his abilities when he is in a manic swing of mood.

I'm open to suggestions on the matter as well...
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

____ ,,,,,,,,,,__,____,
'ς_, (ô.ô7)
£o,o)

._____ ,/,___,,,,,,,
(ςΘ.Θ, (°¿°7, (ö,ö73
Last edited by bunnyboy on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supporter of forum RPG

Paragon

Post by Paragon »

@sunpheonix
Well, my post is up. I didn't see how I could go any farther without taking control of someone else's character.
If Maiannon isn't feeling well, might I suggest he consult a physician?

So do any of our characters know each other very well? If so, how well?
"Optical computers, genetic catalogs, nanorepair modules--forget all of that. It's when you see a megaton of steel suspended over your head by a thread the thickness of a human hair that you really find God in technology."

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Paragon: Sorry fella...been busy all day. I'm posting now...

As for knowing each other... you might not know Maiannon personally... but you likely know 'of' him. He is a documented anomaly... A Human/Loroi crossbreed... half human and half Loroi, something most medical experts say is impossible! You know that his father is human, a TCN Marine by all accounts... but he was raised by his Teidar mother. A fairly respected and influential Loroi woman. Maiannon is a Loroi citizen and the Loroi Union has steadfastly refused to allow any 'official' extensive testing or examination of Maiannon by TCN experts. Though... among the Loroi Union Maiannon's importance and uniqueness are downplayed and treated as an 'odity' and an almost 'outsider' among his own people. He is one of the Very Few males to serve in any capacity in the Loroi Military as a low-ranking diplomat.

The 'Doc' has met the lad once or twice very briefly before... but only since the invasion among the survivors. From the brief meetings the 'Doc' found the lad... for he is indeed very young, brave, forthright, concerned about all sentient beings, gentle and strong-willed. His Sanzai-Photokinetic powers are nothing short miraculous, but he is also a minor psychic healer. A VERY handsome lad with long golden Hair and startling emerald Eyes - similar to his fathers if records are correct. His skin seems a pale Caucasian, also like his father, but has very subtle bluish highlight tones to his palor. He is taller than a Loroi male but still average by human standards at 5'10" and his ears are pointed but not as obviously so like a Loroi... think Vulcan-like.

I cannot speak for Garnet... other than to say you know that Maiannon and Garnet started working closely together to protect and provide for the survivors when their numbers started to grow larger.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

I'm back! And I see there's been IC progress while I was away! Woots.
Paragon wrote:@sunpheonix
Well, my post is up. I didn't see how I could go any farther without taking control of someone else's character.
If Maiannon isn't feeling well, might I suggest he consult a physician?

So do any of our characters know each other very well? If so, how well?
Nice posts there. For future reference, I've got no problem with other people making Garnet spout off a line or two or three. I can roll with it, unless it's horribly out of character ("KILL ALL HUMANS! KILL ALL HUMANS!... Except for Fry.") I've made a whopping one post with her, so I know there's not much to go off yet. We'll remedy that soon!

As far as the relationship between our characters... You're human right? Then you probably wouldn't have met Garnet before the incursion. Unless you were stationed at the Loroi military depot where she worked for some strange reason ;p So you'd probably just know her as another survivor (but one who makes use of implants!)

@Sun: Did you see Arioch's answer to the "physical and mental well-being" question? Bad news, you can't solve your problems with pills. Good news, you can fap the issue away! >_> Oh.... That's a bad joke :(

Well, I reek of campfire, I gotta clean up.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Gudo: Yes I read all of the posts on the matter by Arioch and crew. Yeah... no pill remedy... but it would be even easier {and more enjoyable} to 'relive' Maiannon's medical condition with a willing nubile female assistant...!

LOL! I joke right back at you... or maybe I'm not {wink, wink, nudge nudge!!} ! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Paragon

Post by Paragon »

You know, I've GM'd a couple of games in my day (mostly Traveler), and when the subject of PC's engaging in or trying to engage in sex came up I always felt that it made things either very awkward or very juvenile. I discovered a way to prevent it though.

It begins and ends with, "...and then the fleet of alien dreadnoughts showed up and killed everyone. The End."

Not the most subtle method, but I find it works rather well. :mrgreen:

Not that I care what our characters do here, mind you.

btw, I've been assuming that most general care and emergency doctors (including my character) would know enough about Loroi physiology to perform most emergency response operations (or possibly even take regular Loroi patients, depends on how similar the physiology is I guess). Does that hold water with everyone?
"Optical computers, genetic catalogs, nanorepair modules--forget all of that. It's when you see a megaton of steel suspended over your head by a thread the thickness of a human hair that you really find God in technology."

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Paragon wrote:It begins and ends with, "...and then the fleet of alien dreadnoughts showed up and killed everyone. The End."
Rocks fall, everyone dies. Though honestly, I prefer "Dice fall, everyone rocks." Regarding general and emergency care, I'm fine with your char knowing how to perfrom most emergency care operations. Considering just how similar the body shapes/external organs are, I would be surprised if your char wasn't able to practice medicine on both species. Probably, the only real difference would be in the drugs that you could apply to either species ("Amphetamines act as stimulants for humans, but it shuts down Loroi livers. Trepazan will put a Loroi to sleep, but it would kill a human.")

@Unforsaken/Sun: So, with my character's Power Flux, can I only make 12pts of items at a time, or have 12pts of items at a time? The way I'm reading it, it's the latter.

Anyways, I gotta make dinner then take the kids back. An IC post will follow sometime tonight :)

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Gudo: The custom Variable - 'Durable' for the Power Flux 'Creation' attribute is VERY powerful... effectively you can make 12pts of items at a time... but they do not go away after you have made them. Then after a reasonable amount of {GM plot} time you can make 12 points of more equipment for a total of 24pts! It can EASILY be abused.

@ Paragon: So sad... you have been in the wrong games or played with unfortunately immature or non-serious players. I have played in several games were romantic relationships were RP'd and maturely & tastefully portrayed. But it is not a requirement for a PbP game. Many people are VERY uncomfortable RPing intimacy of ANY type. :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

sunphoenix wrote:The custom Variable - 'Durable' for the Power Flux 'Creation' attribute is VERY powerful... effectively you can make 12pts of items at a time... but they do not go away after you have made them. Then after a reasonable amount of {GM plot} time you can make 12 points of more equipment for a total of 24pts!
Ah. I'll leave it up to the GM to define time between builds then. Too bad the Spiders are one time usage. Otherwise, give me a few years and I could build a robot army! KLL ALL HUMANS! KILL ALL HUMANS!

@Paragon: I took a look through the info on the NPCs in the main group and just realized that we've got some injuries that you'll probably need to know about. One Basram blinded by the atomic flash from inital bombardment (probably going to develop some flavor of radiation poisoning since he was looking right at the blast.) One Human with a wounded arm, and Loroi with a broken leg, recovering from an illness.)

Also, Sun, I just noticed the ages on the Loroi children are too high. Loroi mature fast, reaching adulthood in 8 years.

Continuing IC post...

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Gudo: Ah... Thx for the info Gudo! I adjusted their ages to something more appropriate.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Woots, got the IC post up. Took longer than expected :(

Anyways, Paragon, I took the liberty of joining Doc into the main group, since that's kinda the point of the intro. I guess I should've asked if I could RP the Doc first though. So... mind if I RP the Doc? >_> For future reference :P If you don't like the lines I gave your character, just let me know and I'll fix 'em. Or you could re-write that section and I'll put it in instead of what I wrote.

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Sorry I didn't get back to you Bunny. Been busy with a combination of Dwarf Fortress and back to school... and being really fucking tired.

Paragon

Post by Paragon »

Looks great to me! I'll specify what I meant in my IC posts about treating the wounded (I rolled an 8 for my medical skill, so 9+6+8=23, if anyone cares). I'd say that's good enough to make sure everyone's been properly diagnosed, and that the various broken bones are properly set and in splints. Maybe the appropriate medicine has been distributed if I have it? I doubt there's much that good be done for the good Barsam. Doc probably ran out of anti-rads a while ago.

Gudo, I think you did a great job doing lines for Darius. To help in the future, Doc's the kind of person that genuinely wants to help people, but life's turned him into a pessimist. The Incursion, as might be expected, has turned that pessimism rather bitter (losing dozens of patients at a time the course of a month will do that, ya know).

It's why he keeps up the recriminations about leaving his homeworld, Hephaestus. I am incredibly unoriginal when it comes to naming things!

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Question to GM, what will the enemies do with dead bodies of theirs and ours?

- Take them away for unknown reasons? (Because can't say, if it's for bury or harvest.)
- Burn them in either respect of dead, danger of diseases or just to keep them out of our hands?
- Bury them with bulldozers, when they are too near of their living area?
- Nothing, they aren't bothered?
- Target practicing?
- Loot & discard?
- Decorate their vehicles and gardens with severed heads?
- Eat them?
- Seed on them with larvae to grew new soldiers?

Also, are they uniformly identical or are there any individually distinguishable features in their appearance, habits, motivations or skills? Like trying secretly pick up loot from dead body.
Supporter of forum RPG

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Ok, note to self: Play less BSGO :oops:

@Gudo, your main limits for constructing things will be time and materials, once you make something you'll have it until it blows up, breaks or you have to leave it behind (either because it's too large to move or there are simply too many of whatever you've made).

@Paragon, medications are indeed limited, you're basically limited to what you'd find in first-aid kits as well as basic pain meds and anti-biotics. You should do fine with bone fractures, 'flesh-wounds' from ranged weapons would be a step up in difficulty (due to cauterising and risk of complications). Things like wounds from close-combat weapons and torso shots are obviously going to be very difficult to deal with without help. As for the Barsam, there's not a lot that can be done for his flash blindness, without a proper (and functional) medical centre only natural healing can help (and Maiannon's 'healing' which basically accelerates it). Given that its been 7 weeks since the bombardment, anyone likely to die from radiation exposure proabably already has, rapid-growth tumors and such may be a problem later on but not in the timeframe of the RP.

@bunnyboy/all, little is known about the invaders, they haven't attempted any communication that anyone has survived to talk about. Early on they showed an interest in Loroi and Humans, committing several snach and grab operations, but have since reverted to killing anything that attracts too much of their attention or looks to be a possible threat, crushing any targets with extreme prejudice. The actual numbers of invaders is fairly low, relying on their ships in orbit to deal with anything they can't deal with themselves (not really an issue since shortly after the initial invasion), they mostly seem to be 'holding the fort' and waiting. They ignore the corpses of locals, once they are sure a person is dead they are of little interest; they collect their own dead and take them back to their base at the starport. They don't take trophys, but they will hunt down those who kill their people, the only way to survive doing so is to get far away quickly (Harry, Moira and Nelodez should be alright, though, since the two killed were split off from an already shot-up squad).

Appearance-wise the invaders are fairly uniform, their armor is fully sealed and no one has had time to open one up to look inside before (and weapons powerful enough to breach such armor tends to do far worse to anything biological inside, so a quick glimpse isn't too informative). If their helmets are anything to go by they have a fairly swept-back skull, with eyes about 50% larger than human or loroi norms. They are also digitigrade, which means they can be quite quick if they need to be.

Hope that helps :)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Thanks, that told us lot. It's not like USA occupation in Iraq and either Dalek termination program, but something between.
So, if you don't go on talking distance, make hostile gestures, have any property, move in growds, watch them, write marks on ground, have a muscled up body, etc, you may survive, as lonely madman isn't interesting enough to send killing patrol.

By the way, did little bit of RP.
Supporter of forum RPG

Paragon

Post by Paragon »

So should people in the main group go back to posting? If so, then I guess either I or sunpheonix should post next right?

Ok: If sunpheonix doesn't post anything by tomorrow night (eastern standard time) then I will.

edit: FUCK. I waited too long, and I'm too tired to do it properly. Will post tomorrow. Sorry. :(
Last edited by Paragon on Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Sounds like it I guess :P At least we brought it down from 4 scenes to two.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Apologies for the double post.

Paragon: There's a formatting error with your latest IC post. You have one too many 0's where you're defining the color for Doc's speach.

Unforsaken: Would we have a map of the tunnels? We're in a water treatment facility, so I would guess there might be one in the main office. Otherwise, there should be one in the control center for the city's utility and water systems (though any central control point would probably be occupied) An auxiliary control center might have one...

Also, what about tunnel service vehicles? From time to time, the water mains will need some internal service. There should be vehicles nearby to carry workers and supplies. Also, with Power Flux: instead of making a 12 point item, could I modify an existing item? I'm thinking of waterproofing one of said vehicles and converting it to electric if it isn't already.