WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by sunphoenix »

Too true... Tre' Cool Arioch! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

I'm thinking of getting this one for my summercar. :D
I just need to win a lottery, find a good garage to make umiak warpaint and someone to drive it.
Supporter of forum RPG

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Tamren wrote:LOL holy crap. I saw those and immediately thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4dMif0VswA

Fast forward to 2 minutes in for the part in question.
Reminds me a bit of the JP233 Delivery System:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAGmDqH4c-8

(Footage from the 80ies)
sapere aude.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

NOMAD wrote:First part, are you revering to yourself or someone else ??
Someone else, i just didnt bother looking up who said it :)
NOMAD wrote:second, I wonder what Umiak doo-doo looks like. and I think their reaction is going to be this poor little cloen troops reaction is near the end of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkMZLspd_Q
Lawl!
bunnyboy wrote:I'm thinking of getting this one for my summercar. :D
I just need to win a lottery, find a good garage to make umiak warpaint and someone to drive it.
Well am pretty sure you can get an old battered Cadillac deville (http://cgi.ebay.ca/Cadillac-DeVille-/16 ... 2562735d83 or http://losangeles.ebayclassifieds.com/c ... ad=9996688) for a low price (2500 to 6000$.)

The paint job can be costy, from 5000 single coat to about 15 000$ but consider that you are rebuilding it so most of the stuck is out of the way and it easier/less costly for the painter and also if you do all the sanding/masking am sure you can reduce the price.

add to that normal repair about what 2500 if it really really battered.
Replace the engine for a modern more efficient and more durable one. add about 5000$ (3500+install)

Plus the aesthetics modification. am pretty generous and give your a 5000$

For a grand total of 20 000$ to 33 500$. consider that you will be looking for part and stuff you might get it for cheaper than that.

So you get it for the price of a normal car. so no need to win the lottery just live up your dream!.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

:? nah. Those deVilles aren't bulbous enough. It need to be Cadillac 1948, 1960 or Chevy Bel-Air 1957.
I live in north-east europe, where summer is only two week long and I don't have driver license, so I don't have much use for it.
But I should make like him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEKi9D2hh0) and just convert my bicycle.
Supporter of forum RPG

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

I am loving all these WIP updates. I feel I am being spoiled by all this high-quality art; Arioch's spaceship design is very top-notch especially. The under-side intake vaguely reminds me of a Taiidani Heavy Cruiser.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

bunnyboy wrote::? nah. Those deVilles aren't bulbous enough. It need to be Cadillac 1948, 1960 or Chevy Bel-Air 1957.
I live in north-east europe, where summer is only two week long and I don't have driver license, so I don't have much use for it.
But I should make like him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjEKi9D2hh0) and just convert my bicycle.
lawl, i found it to be pretty stupid until i realized it wasn't really a Porsche

here the How to for that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j03LKhZa ... re=related

there seem to be a unsafe amount of duct tape on that model.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
NOMAD wrote:First part, are you revering to yourself or someone else ??
Someone else, i just didn't bother looking up who said it
then may I:
NOMAD wrote: C) a large-capacity cluster torpedo (like the anti-corvette torpedo's from homeworld 2 torpedo frigate, but for med-heavy class umiak ships )
but how about shared credit, you were the one to find the meaning of Tolot Blisters:
Karst45 wrote: Unless these "Tolot Blisters" can put some serious hurt on the Umiak, it looks like Winter Tide's about to buy the farm.

I guess you could call it "command tension" between Stillstorm and Ashrain?

yeah, I think the tensions amongst the whole command staff ( see page 82)
NOMAD wrote:second, I wonder what Umiak doo-doo looks like. and I think their reaction is going to be this poor little clone troops reaction is near the end of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkMZLspd_Q
Lawl! [/quote]

thanks, glad you like it
I am a wander, going from place to place without a home I am a NOMAD

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

NOMAD wrote:
Karst45 wrote: Unless these "Tolot Blisters" can put some serious hurt on the Umiak, it looks like Winter Tide's about to buy the farm.

Your sure i said that? Buy the farm is an expression i didn't even know (and still don't know precisely what it mean other than a bad thing) Also there less orthographic / grammatical error than usual (was i drunk and if so, am better in english when am drunk?) i think it more of a missquote :P *watch your fir...eee quoting*

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

'Buy the Farm'...meaning your own private 6 foot deep plot in a cemetery of your choice.
The "Farm"... at least as I have heard it colloquially referred to as.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Karst45 wrote:
NOMAD wrote:

Your sure i said that? Buy the farm is an expression i didn't even know (and still don't know precisely what it mean other than a bad thing) Also there less orthographic / grammatical error than usual (was i drunk and if so, am better in english when am drunk?) i think it more of a missquote :P *watch your fir...eee quoting*
Yeap, you did just check out this http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/vie ... p?f=4&t=21

and I ran a spell check on the post, so their less errors . . . hope you don't mind

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

The post you're referring to was by CptWinters.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

lol indeed :P i knew i wouldn't use expression am not familiar with.

Funny fact, i didn't even post once in that topic (dunno why)

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Arioch wrote:The post you're referring to was by CptWinters.
Ok I just say it D'OH

Sorry Cptwinter :oops: :oops: really realy really am sorry about that. man i need to slow down and double check everything :(

Tamren

Post by Tamren »

Its hard to estimate because the webcomic is composed of still pictures. But how long do the beams last (or pulse) for when fired? The lasers would tend to "flicker" on and off while shooting at different targets. The split beam seems to convey this. But the other beam weapons like the plasma focus and blasters are all depicted as solid beams. Additionally the pulse cannon sometimes has visible bulges along its beam. It easiest to see this when the Tempest is firing. Is this where the name came from?

Aygar

Post by Aygar »

I don't think that Arioch has ever explicitly stated what the etymology of the pulse cannon is.

--Aygar
--Aygar

Wintermute

Post by Wintermute »

Oh my god... Once again, the perspective on that ship... Just... Amazing.

Hnnngggg

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Tamren wrote:Its hard to estimate because the webcomic is composed of still pictures. But how long do the beams last (or pulse) for when fired? The lasers would tend to "flicker" on and off while shooting at different targets. The split beam seems to convey this. But the other beam weapons like the plasma focus and blasters are all depicted as solid beams. Additionally the pulse cannon sometimes has visible bulges along its beam. It easiest to see this when the Tempest is firing. Is this where the name came from?
The lasers pulse for a fraction of a second, but between the three barrels in one mount, the fire is nearly continuous.

The other beams will last for a few seconds at most.

The pulse cannon is so-named because it's a pulsed version of the plasma focus. It sends superheated plasma down a carrier beam, but in discrete pulses rather than in a continuous jet like the regular plasma focus.

NOMAD

Post by NOMAD »

Arioch, I must say . . . you do VERY GOOD/EXCELLENT ship profiles.

whats your secret ?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Having rough 3D models to use for perspective reference doesn't hurt. ;)