Awww

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Karst45

Re: Awww

Post by Karst45 »

bunnyboy wrote:If random numer is needed, so how is last number of time stamp?
well it would be easy to just set your clock to the right number and post your message to the number you need.

Mjolnir

Post by Mjolnir »

Karst45 wrote:well it would be easy to just set your clock to the right number and post your message to the number you need.
The post time stamp is based on the server time, so you would have to post at the right time. Everybody would have to use a custom time display format to get finer resolution than minutes, though:

Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> global settings, My date format: Custom...
The default string:

Code: Select all

D M d, Y g:i a
Gives the default "day-of-week month day-of-month, year hours:minutes AM/PM" format. The letter 's' gives seconds:

D M d, Y g:i:s a
Now, you could also compute a MD5 hash of the date string. Some security vulnerabilities are known in MD5, but I think you can assume they won't be exploited via careful post-timing to win a dice roll.

edit:
Like this: http://tmp.arklyffe.com/md5dice.html
Stick some verifiable, varying string that's out of the user's control into the input, and pick one of the results. It includes a link to the roll that you could copy into a post. Could find someplace permanent to stick this if it actually proves useful...

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

I try something.

D M d, Y g:i a, [s]
Now my diceroll is boxed.

Edit:
Nah. It will change every timestamp. So it doesn't matter if I have some stylish setting, because it will affect only how I see it.
So GM can select, what number he/she is picking for dice and we can only accept that. If we don't trust him/her, we just use same date format.
Supporter of forum RPG

osmium

Post by osmium »

okay random thoughts:

Call of Cthulhu is a fairly straight forward system. The fairly extreme fragility of character may be beneficial to realism, but less awesome for character longevity (look at the automatic weapon rules, but obviously you'd just use the basics of the system, stats, skill advancement and %-ile rolling).

You could adapt something like roll master if you wanted to be a sadist.

D&D could work, you could do open 3.5 content if that system appeals to you, there have been some changes with 4.0 that are better in some ways different in others and perhaps worse in yet others still.

Personally I think an adaptation of a white wolf system (or cthulu) would likely be the most robust as it could conceivably require the least number of rolls to figure things out and there isn't a lot of material you need to have on hand or know to work it all out.

Finally you can also have a resident DM or uninterested party do and post rolls so you would say like : I try to vault the table and throw Mr. X to the ground with a scissor leg throw. Someone else rolls on like random.org or something and posts 2 rolls 1 for the vault and 1 for the throw etc.

-O

discord

Post by discord »

something for you guys to look at
http://www.fantasygrounds.com/
i find the idea very interesting, but they should have made it a micro transaction economic model.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

For a random roller I like to use...

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2317614/

I downloaded CptWinters' Minimus system... and I'm reading it now.

Though CthulhuTech's - Framework system could work as well and includes para-psychic powers {plus magic if you really want to weird things up out there} but I'm not sure how familiar any of you are with it. Its certainly lethal enough! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

osmium wrote: Finally you can also have a resident DM or uninterested party do and post rolls so you would say like : I try to vault the table and throw Mr. X to the ground with a scissor leg throw. Someone else rolls on like random.org or something and posts 2 rolls 1 for the vault and 1 for the throw etc.
-O
Though this idea would be fair, I fell that problem could happen as we would need to wait for that player to log in and roll. though slowing down the game when the pace is the more intense (like battle)

discord wrote:something for you guys to look at
http://www.fantasygrounds.com/
i find the idea very interesting, but they should have made it a micro transaction economic model.
I quickly browsed the site, quite interesting. though it is modifiable or you just have to use the setting (era) they give?

discord

Post by discord »

karst: supposedly modifiable, don't know, never tried it myself....but since you can add more rule sets and there are 'non official' ones, i can only assume the public can build their own ones.

osmium

Post by osmium »

yeah needing someone else to log in to roll slows things down, but the flipside is that it gives you a fairly robust world wherein you can do things like discover if someone is lying, have contests of strength etc.
-O