Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Halfway station RP thread. 
Author Message

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Halfway station RP thread.
This forum have become to silent lately and thus I suggest a new RP thread. I am not that good at this so we can let the details settle as we go.

Halfway station is joint humanity/loroi union space station located roughly halfway between humanity and union space. It is useful for refuling and loading of trade goods for further transport with other ships and have some military presence. I imagine that it could be an obsolete loroi station temporarily equipped with jump engines for placement in the system or maybe an huge transport ship that made it's last voyage there. It could also be built on place, perhaps it could BE the corporate space station used in another RP thread now taken over and used. Let's start with shaping the environment with suggestions and eventually we can move in with player characters. Do not hesitate to make your own sub RP games branching out of this. This is supposed to be base, adventures can start here.

I am heavily influenced with Star Trek Deep Space nine myself but you can have other suggestions.

Character: Robert Hanson, mid thirties EVA pod pilot. Descent shuttle pilot but excel at pilot in an EVA pod. Works primarily with maintenance on the outer hull and cargo loading/unloading. There is some EVA pods in the 2001 movie and they are my main inspiration. Can take two passengers with ease and double that if need be but it will be cramped and it prohibits the wearing of space suits. There is no airlock in the pod.


Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:39 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am
Posts: 936
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Heh. I'm interested... whats the state of the Loroi-Human / Umiak war?

_________________
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."


Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:58 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 653
Location: Central Florida
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
What's the setting like, for that matter? Is it canon? TdSmR? Something else entirely?

_________________
Hoenn


Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:11 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
sunphoenix wrote:
Heh. I'm interested... whats the state of the Loroi-Human / Umiak war?


in a design phase not 100% set. I suggest the Umiak have some setbacks due to some breakthrough but not defeated. Compare to early 1944 Germany during WWII. They are broken due to some overextended campaigns but the war is not over. Considering what they are I doubt the war will ever be truly over, there will always be the feeling that they may have some colony out there and are regaining their strength from there. I suspect that they will be able to launch raids for many years, decades even after they lost the capability to launch offensives.

For reason to trade with humanity I have the idea that the loroi live in a region of space that have had spacefaring cultures for countless millennia. Most civilizations reverse engineer ancient artefacts and as such tend to get the same technologies. Thease require the same resources. Maybe humanity space have some precious resources that are still easily mined that are harder to get in the union? Or maybe the union just want to expand it's influence to circumvent the Umiak controlled region? Suggestions are welcome.


Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:30 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 pm
Posts: 665
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
The primary reason from the perspective of the Union would be to support observation missions: trade will exist, and eventually be significant, but will start out as just frosting on the cake. The result would probably be reminiscent of Babylon 5: bringing together a group of races that didn't have that direct of relations before (albeit just the Union & Humanity at first), in a station that also happens to be beneficial to other forms of cross-boundary contact.

As the war nears it's end, Human space will be considered somewhat similar, since it's effectively a stepping stone to the other side of Human space: following the war, the Loroi will probably be eager to get a better view of their surroundings, to better foresee any similar situations.

It might have some military applications too, since it could be the first in a string of waystations leading to the far side of Umiak space: it could very well be the setback that the Umiak suffered, if it's capable of manufacturing usable quantities of Tiamat.

Also, don't forget the mining operations: if there are comets, carbonaceous asteroids, and metal-rich asteroids, then the majority of the bulk-materials needed for station construction & maintenance can be sourced in-system relatively on-demand (the apparatus to e.g. make arbitrary diameters & thread profiles of all-thread should be relatively compact, for instance). The majority of the metal things you would find in a hardware store (e.g. Ace or TrueValue) should be fairly easy to make custom in an on-station machine shop.


Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:18 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 pm
Posts: 356
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Here's a question: Are you planning on this being a PbP style of normal tabletop RPG, or is it freeform RP without any stats?

Here's another question: We have a Discord Server, that could allow for real-time RP and/or real-time OOC discussion. I imagine Carl wouldn't object much to making a Halfway Station RP and Halfway Station OOC channel, if people are interested.


Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:21 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 653
Location: Central Florida
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Here's another question: We have a Discord Server, that could allow for real-time RP and/or real-time OOC discussion. I imagine Carl wouldn't object much to making a Halfway Station RP and Halfway Station OOC channel, if people are interested.


Not at all. :D

_________________
Hoenn


Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:31 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Here's a question: Are you planning on this being a PbP style of normal tabletop RPG, or is it freeform RP without any stats?

Here's another question: We have a Discord Server, that could allow for real-time RP and/or real-time OOC discussion. I imagine Carl wouldn't object much to making a Halfway Station RP and Halfway Station OOC channel, if people are interested.


Completely social, no stats. However, if someone want to "go on an adventure" then that is excellent. Consider the station for most parts as the traditional inn the roleplaying characters meet up in at the beginning of an fantasy game. At the station maybe there is a report of something that needs to be investigated in a nearby system. A ship is prepared to scout it out, some players join in as crew members and THAT would be the another RP adventure. After that, eventually, the survivors return to the base. Of this reason there may also be the need to have more then one character if the adventure thread update to slowly for a while. The character I presented in the beginning is part of the stations maintenance crew and as such unlikely to leave at all. It is a almost purely social character.


Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:59 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Carl Miller wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Here's another question: We have a Discord Server, that could allow for real-time RP and/or real-time OOC discussion. I imagine Carl wouldn't object much to making a Halfway Station RP and Halfway Station OOC channel, if people are interested.


Not at all. :D


The name we are to choose at the login, is that our character name or just a tag like we use here? Sweforce would make me known but that is not a character name.


Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:07 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 pm
Posts: 356
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Sweforce wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Here's another question: We have a Discord Server, that could allow for real-time RP and/or real-time OOC discussion. I imagine Carl wouldn't object much to making a Halfway Station RP and Halfway Station OOC channel, if people are interested.


Not at all. :D


The name we are to choose at the login, is that our character name or just a tag like we use here? Sweforce would make me known but that is not a character name.


It's easy enough to type /nick Sweforce [Character Name]


Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:35 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:

It's easy enough to type /nick Sweforce [Character Name]


OK, thanks. I be off to work soon thou. Afternoon shift week. But this should be interesting.


Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:36 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am
Posts: 936
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
I think if this is a station that has been moved to this position... likely around about say 2 to 4 years after the initial formal contact with the Loroi..

I think I'll play a, now adult, Kamielle Stormrage-Aldridge, TCA Space Marine... half human/loroi.

:)

_________________
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."


Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:03 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
sunphoenix wrote:
I think if this is a station that has been moved to this position... likely around about say 2 to 4 years after the initial formal contact with the Loroi..

I think I'll play a, now adult, Kamielle Stormrage-Aldridge, TCA Space Marine... half human/loroi.

:)


Is this the halfbreed from the "What to do with Jardin" thread? If so it would lock the story to that universe, not that that is a problem.


Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:06 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 pm
Posts: 356
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Yeah... To be honest, I'd rather go with the whole "Yo, guys, they may look super-alike, but this isn't Star Trek, Loroi and Human aren't crossfertile without the intervention of some fantastic genetic engineers that don't exist anymore" canon stance.


Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:17 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am
Posts: 936
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
lols. Ok.. yeah I can see that... I don't want to limit the storyline for others!

_________________
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."


Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:48 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 653
Location: Central Florida
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Once the timeframe gets to be about 10-15 years after first contact someone should play a loroi born and raised by humans on Earth :P

_________________
Hoenn


Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:20 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Carl Miller wrote:
Once the timeframe gets to be about 10-15 years after first contact someone should play a loroi born and raised by humans on Earth :P


I had this idea of an loroi immigrant that pump her son full of varioues growth hormones and testosterone equivelents in order to turn him not only a mere male but a man. He is still a bit short by human standards huge in comparison to other loroi males. He also have a human name and a human foster father that raised him in a manly way. Anyone interested in picking him up?


Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:15 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 pm
Posts: 665
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Sweforce wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:
Once the timeframe gets to be about 10-15 years after first contact someone should play a loroi born and raised by humans on Earth :P


I had this idea of an loroi immigrant that pump her son full of varioues growth hormones and testosterone equivelents in order to turn him not only a mere male but a man. He is still a bit short by human standards huge in comparison to other loroi males. He also have a human name and a human foster father that raised him in a manly way. Anyone interested in picking him up?
You haven't specified how long the station has been active in that role, this might be a good time to decide.


Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:23 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:46 am
Posts: 936
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Sweforce wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:
Once the timeframe gets to be about 10-15 years after first contact someone should play a loroi born and raised by humans on Earth :P


I had this idea of an loroi immigrant that pump her son full of varioues growth hormones and testosterone equivelents in order to turn him not only a mere male but a man. He is still a bit short by human standards huge in comparison to other loroi males. He also have a human name and a human foster father that raised him in a manly way. Anyone interested in picking him up?



Sure I'd roll with that.. :) Though there needs to be a good story-wise reason why she would do this and how she would get away with it... as the Loroi might consider that 'child-abuse'!

_________________
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."


Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:37 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 2:14 am
Posts: 435
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
sunphoenix wrote:
Though there needs to be a good story-wise reason why she would do this
She was friends with a "real male" commander. Or at least knew him. Named Alexander.
And was impressed by what a real man can do.
And wants to raise her son in his image.
Not as a castrated-by-culture male.

She might have served aboard Tempest as a medical nurse, and helped Alexander Jardin along. As Outsider progresses, we will have more opportunities to find a background.

This way you also have a name, at least a Standard name.

As mother from the comic, my favourite pick would be Beryl, but then contradictions between in-comic and here are bound to happen when Outsider gives new action sometime next decade.
Take shoe-girl as mother. Or the shuttle navigator. Or some other side character.

_________________
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image


Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
sunphoenix wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
Carl Miller wrote:
Once the timeframe gets to be about 10-15 years after first contact someone should play a loroi born and raised by humans on Earth :P


I had this idea of an loroi immigrant that pump her son full of varioues growth hormones and testosterone equivelents in order to turn him not only a mere male but a man. He is still a bit short by human standards huge in comparison to other loroi males. He also have a human name and a human foster father that raised him in a manly way. Anyone interested in picking him up?



Sure I'd roll with that.. :) Though there needs to be a good story-wise reason why she would do this and how she would get away with it... as the Loroi might consider that 'child-abuse'!


Growing up on earth, this would be done to avoid lot's of abuse. Kids can be mean to each other. He would still have blue skin thou.


Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:00 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 pm
Posts: 356
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Sweforce wrote:
Growing up on earth, this would be done to avoid lot's of abuse. Kids can be mean to each other. He would still have blue skin thou.


I kind of feel the need to point out that pumping your kid full of what amounts to anabolic steroids would qualify as being mega abuse. Of the "get your kid taken away from you" kind. Also, I don't think testoterone would do a goddamn thing to Loroi, or else would do something really bad to them.
It's called departments of child services; we actually have them, and by the 2100s, I expect they're actually worth a good goddamn, and would be efficacious at curbing bullying and such.

Plus, other Loroi would be horrified by that. Like, to the tune of "murderously angry." What you're proposing is literally parallel to a big beefy lumberjack motherfucker pumping his pretty princess daughter full of steroids and taking her to the gym to make her lift so she can beat face with the guys.


Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:57 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:00 pm
Posts: 318
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
ShadowDragon8685 wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
Growing up on earth, this would be done to avoid lot's of abuse. Kids can be mean to each other. He would still have blue skin thou.


I kind of feel the need to point out that pumping your kid full of what amounts to anabolic steroids would qualify as being mega abuse. Of the "get your kid taken away from you" kind. Also, I don't think testoterone would do a goddamn thing to Loroi, or else would do something really bad to them.
It's called departments of child services; we actually have them, and by the 2100s, I expect they're actually worth a good goddamn, and would be efficacious at curbing bullying and such.

Plus, other Loroi would be horrified by that. Like, to the tune of "murderously angry." What you're proposing is literally parallel to a big beefy lumberjack motherfucker pumping his pretty princess daughter full of steroids and taking her to the gym to make her lift so she can beat face with the guys.


Perhaps but the the testosterone thing was meant as "equivalent" and already there are treatments for stunted growth. ANyway it was just that wierd idea that popped up in my head.


Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:38 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:33 pm
Posts: 665
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Sweforce wrote:
Perhaps but the the testosterone thing was meant as "equivalent" and already there are treatments for stunted growth. ANyway it was just that wierd idea that popped up in my head.
For what it's worth, it's no more nonsensical than trying to roll a Human/Loroi Hybrid without intending "horrible crime of the dark sciences" to be a character trait. Also no less nonsensical than the same.

Really, I'm a little surprised at the uproar. Maybe you would have done better with a female super-Loroi whose mother hoped she would be better able to spread the light of Loroi civilization to the misproportioned savages.


Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:10 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm
Posts: 653
Location: Central Florida
Post Re: Halfway station RP thread.
Do not pump any characters full of roids, please.

Also remember that said loroi raised by humans could be female :P

_________________
Hoenn


Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.