Page 183

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

fredgiblet

Page 183

Post by fredgiblet »

Removed for spoilers.

Good point.

dragoongfa

Re: Page 183

Post by dragoongfa »

That's on Patreon, not released yet :P

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Support l’artist on Patreon and read two pages ahead! (I felt seriously spoilt this morning)

Arent

Post by Arent »

Zarya wrote:Support l’artist on Patreon and read two pages ahead! (I felt seriously spoilt this morning)
Can I just pay 100$ and get lifetime access? I seriously don't like running obligations. And continuously paying 1$ per month is an obligation while paying 100$ once is not.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Arent wrote:
Zarya wrote:Support l’artist on Patreon and read two pages ahead! (I felt seriously spoilt this morning)
Can I just pay 100$ and get lifetime access? I seriously don't like running obligations. And continuously paying 1$ per month is an obligation while paying 100$ once is not.
I empathize with your point of view. I don't think Patreon supports that kind of situation, but I'll look into it.

Werra

Post by Werra »

You could set up a private mailing list and circumvent Patreon entirely.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:You could set up a private mailing list and circumvent Patreon entirely.
Naturally, but I'd rather not have to worry about maintaining that manually. That could quickly become untenable.

Arent

Post by Arent »

Arioch wrote:
Werra wrote:You could set up a private mailing list and circumvent Patreon entirely.
Naturally, but I'd rather not have to worry about maintaining that manually. That could quickly become untenable.
Yep, can understand that artists want to keep organisation stuff small so that they can concentrate on art. And of course I want Arioch to concentrate on art :)
Arioch wrote:I empathize with your point of view. I don't think Patreon supports that kind of situation, but I'll look into it.
Artists probably want to have a reliable income they can plan with. So, Patreon might not support it because one time payments are not what artists are usually aiming for. But I suspect that there would be some people - maybe not many - who would take an expensive lifetime access over a cheap running payment.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Arent wrote:Artists probably want to have a reliable income they can plan with. So, Patreon might not support it because one time payments are not what artists are usually aiming for. But I suspect that there would be some people - maybe not many - who would take an expensive lifetime access over a cheap running payment.
I'd be perfectly okay with that kind of "lifetime" buy-in, if it could be effectively automated. I'd just rather not have to keep track of lists of who gets what when, and establishing secure separate hosting for it. It sounds simple, but it's really not.

I'd also like to be able to gift free patronage, like in the case of foreign translators of the comic, but I don't think that's supported. But as I said, I'll look more carefully into it.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arent wrote:
I simply go for a lump sum via PayPal once a number of pages are finished or publicised. Avoids the extra country tax Patreon ads to a commitment.

Arent

Post by Arent »

GeoModder wrote: I simply go for a lump sum via PayPal once a number of pages are finished or publicised. Avoids the extra country tax Patreon ads to a commitment.
But that's additional work for Arioch, right?

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

You don't get rewards, but if you're not interesting in getting the pages early or thigh-res images, or whatever patreon rewards are, it's as good as anything else.
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arent wrote:
GeoModder wrote: I simply go for a lump sum via PayPal once a number of pages are finished or publicised. Avoids the extra country tax Patreon ads to a commitment.
Why should it? Its me doing the transfer.
Arioch only needs be pleasantly surprised there's some extra cash on his account.

Arent

Post by Arent »

GeoModder wrote:
Arent wrote:
Why should it? Its me doing the transfer.
Arioch only needs be pleasantly surprised there's some extra cash on his account.
Ok, so you're just donating money, but don't get any early access to patreon posts.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arent wrote:Ok, so you're just donating money, but don't get any early access to patreon posts.
Indeed.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

... sigh. unemployed.. cannot be a patron... though I was for years when times were better. No Outsider Luv for me.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Zarya

Post by Zarya »

Same here while ago, keep the faith! Things can’t remain shitty all the time.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

Wait, what happend to 182?

What year is this?

I went too far into the FUTURE!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

SaintofM wrote:Wait, what happend to 182?
There was an... incident... where a plastron field ineracted with a floater drive.
The results... on a physics level... were cataclysmic.

SaintofM

Post by SaintofM »

GeoModder wrote:
SaintofM wrote:Wait, what happend to 182?
There was an... incident... where a plastron field ineracted with a floater drive.
The results... on a physics level... were cataclysmic.

Yep, went too far into the future.