Page 187: CRUNCH

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Krulle

Re: Page 187: CRUNCH

Post by Krulle »

This is worse than a dream.
It's a nightmare.

yikes.

Not one I wish to ever get.

Also:link to page: https://well-of-souls.com/outsider/outsider187.html
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

raistlin34

Post by raistlin34 »

So this is part of how Fireblade became as she is now.

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

I do hope that after this Alex is going to definitely realise something external is responsible for these images.
Whether or not he lets on is another thing, but he must guess there is some psychic leakage going on, right?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Yeah... Alex is certainly sharing a dreamscape with our lovely troubled Red-headed Teidar.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Siber

Post by Siber »

The news comment about the delay between pages got me to dust off my tracking spreadsheet for outsider pages.

Don't look at me like that, I like to tinker with numbers at times, okay?

This august was the first month without a page after 16 consecutive months of postings. But I wouldn't let that be a discouragement to anyone, august is historically the worst month for updates anyway. Over the whole run only four pages have come in august, with the runners up being October with 8 followed by September and march with 9 each.

The comic is still pretty close to meeting last year's two page a month average, fingers crossed.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod

SVlad

Post by SVlad »

And the next page should be like this

But with Umiak Hardtroopers instead of terminators.
Outsider in Russian

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

SVlad wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:52 pm
And the next page should be like this
Man, that scene is only 9 years in the future.

Werra

Post by Werra »

California really needs to slow down if they want to be on time.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Surviving on an occupied planet isn't easy. One look at the ships sensors will expose the survivors infrared signatures. Keep looking at them a bit to sort out animals and then. Orbital bombardment time!

CaptEndo

Post by CaptEndo »

True! The ultimate high ground leaves almost nowhere to hide, and fuel air munitions are as cheap as propane! Expensive part is always the delivery system anyway.

kyosanim

Post by kyosanim »

I think there is no doubt that this is one of Fireblade's memories or dreams/nightmares, Now the question is, if Fireblade will also get into one of Alex's dreams/nightmares like when the Belarmine was destroyed. It would be interesting to see how she would react to that.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Why even differentiate between animals and "survivors"?
Animals are just food for the survivors, so bomb them too.

Werra

Post by Werra »

kyosanim wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:17 am
I think there is no doubt that this is one of Fireblade's memories or dreams/nightmares, Now the question is, if Fireblade will also get into one of Alex's dreams/nightmares like when the Belarmine was destroyed. It would be interesting to see how she would react to that.
So far Fireblades dream remains mundane. It's horrible, but grounded in reality. Alex dreams are more fantastical. Seeing a corpse walking around and making accusations could be something new for her.

@Krulle
Bombs are costly. Sending extermination squads down might be the more economical option when there is a dicey war going on. It's also better for the environment.

kyosanim

Post by kyosanim »

Werra wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 am
So far Fireblades dream remains mundane. It's horrible, but grounded in reality. Alex dreams are more fantastical. Seeing a corpse walking around and making accusations could be something new for her.
I don't think what we saw of Fireblade in Teidar looking at the city can be considered a dream, that was more she recalling something of past like all others were doing. So either what Alex is going through now is some kind of premonition, or he is entering someone else's mind, and Fireblade seems the best candidate.
What Alex is seeing could be the time of the occupation of Teidar by the Umiak, through the eyes of Fireblade and that is the remain of a dead Loroi.

Turrosh Mak

Post by Turrosh Mak »

Werra wrote:
@Krulle
Bombs are costly. Sending extermination squads down might be the more economical option when there is a dicey war going on. It's also better for the environment.
Not really, just drop some rocks

Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Werra wrote:
kyosanim wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:17 am
It could be down to proximity.

The events for Alex are still new and raw. I suspect that while they may still be painful memories for Fireblade, she has come to terms with them.

dragoongfa

Post by dragoongfa »

Turrosh Mak wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:51 pm
Werra wrote:
@Krulle
Not really, just drop some rocks
Ships that are delegated into rear guard bombardment duty in the middle of a total war are far more expensive than a couple of divisions worth of hard troops on extermination duty. Then there is the whole thing with maintaining the ships with fuel and other consumables (the Umiak preferring to build new ships rather than repairing current ones is a known doctrine but still fuel and missiles wasted on uppity civilians are just that, wasted).

kyosanim

Post by kyosanim »

Jagged wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:19 pm
The events for Alex are still new and raw. I suspect that while they may still be painful memories for Fireblade, she has come to terms with them.
If the events are traumatic enough, some people never come to terms with them regardless of how much time went by.
In context of what we saw so far, doesn't make sense thar what Alex is witnessing is something made up.
We know that Alex can pick up Fireblade's memories, like her eye scar.
If he doesn't recognize the place, only makes sense that what he's seeing, come from her.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

My dreams are weird, and often contain places I've never been to and are completely "invented".

I just need to find a way to make that productive. :p