Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

discord

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by discord »

i would guess 5-20% mortality rate during that time, it IS a form of culling, anyone with a serious physical disability is likely to bite the dust....can't play well with others? you will probably die, and so on.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Well, it could be that loroi have very low fertility.
That might balance things out.

Rematog

Post by Rematog »

Geo,

No, I did not include a childhood mortality rate. I just ran a simple numerical analysis on a spreadsheet. For the stable peacetime population, assuming 10% mortality in each year’s birth group drops the long term annual growth rate to 8.4%. Still pretty huge. For the calc of how many warriors per million of population, this drops the top amount from 200,000 to 180,000. Again, still huge, just X% less.

One thought I’ve had on the idea of breeding huge numbers of female warriors…. You’ll still also get a large group of MALES too. If the males do not go to war and die, then in about 50 years, you’ll have about doubled the population AND have about a 50/50 male/female ratio! This would have a huge effect on Loroi society. Would they create a “MACs” (Mens Army Corp) similar to our WW2 WACS?

I think it was Beryl who was questioning Alex about how we managed with a 50/50 male/female ratio…. Maybe this was of more than academic interest?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Sonnidezzi - "Come on... Char-lee...! Just. One. More. Time?!?"

Charlie - "{Groan}... goodness girl... ain't 5 times in one day ENOUGH! I thought you Loroi went years between 'encounters'?"

Sonnidezzi - "{giggles}... yes we do, so I've got a lot of catching up to do!" <smooch!!>

:) {...sorry. Being .. naughty...}
Last edited by sunphoenix on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Rematog wrote:One thought I’ve had on the idea of breeding huge numbers of female warriors…. You’ll still also get a large group of MALES too. If the males do not go to war and die, then in about 50 years, you’ll have about doubled the population AND have about a 50/50 male/female ratio! This would have a huge effect on Loroi society.
Interesting thought, but I don't think the male/female ratio would change that quick in the overall population. For starters, civilian females likely get less procreation "allowances", which already encompasses half the female population. Further more, there must've been tremendous male losses as well when most of the Seren sector fell into Umiak hands in the first few years of the war, and since it was a border sector and still in the "expanding stage" at that time, perhaps more males then usual were around (and thus more killed during the occupation).

discord

Post by discord »

something you guys MIGHT be overlooking.....frikking birth control, rocket science it aint.

Rematog

Birth Control

Post by Rematog »

Discord,

Not overlooked, ignored. All my discussions were about maximum potiental growth/breeding rates. There was nothing I saw on the site that hinted either the possibility (likely) or impossibility (some fictional aliens, Moties for example) of birth control.

Cranked the numbers real quick. In the case of "Breeding warriors" where base FEMALE population is held constant and maximum breeding is done (1 birth every 2 years for each ACCEPTABLE female in childbearing years) the adult male/female ratio would be 50/50 in 51 years, allowing for the 12 year maturation time.

But, when I was calculating the max warrior breeding, I still kept the 2/3 factor for eugenics in the female population. If you assume 90% of females are allowed to breed, you get a warrior creation rate of nearly 300,000 per year per million of population. In this case, the adult male/female ration would hit 50/50 in 41 years.

So, would the Amazons let men fight too…..

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Just to make sure I'm following you. You assume an average 10% mortality rate EACH YEAR for any given female birth group after being accepted in a warrior caste? So to say that roughly after a decade any given birth group statistically dwindles to only a few female survivors?

fredgiblet

Re: Birth Control

Post by fredgiblet »

Rematog wrote:So, would the Amazons let men fight too…..
IIRC A Welcome Rain will be introduced in this chapter, or it may have been the next one, it was a while ago when he was mentioned last.

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Birth Control

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:
Rematog wrote:So, would the Amazons let men fight too…..
IIRC A Welcome Rain will be introduced in this chapter, or it may have been the next one, it was a while ago when he was mentioned last.
Next chapter.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

Arioch, I noticed a change in the "Last Modified" section of some pages, so been reading them again.

Some questions that popped up on Loroi command ships:

The current Cry of the Wind Loroi flagship, was it constructed after Emperor Eight Dawn's Skymaster was lost in 2140, or did Emperor Greywind pick an existing ICS as her new 'mobile office'?

I noticed the Cry of the Wind fields a 'RXS' type of the Wave-Loom, whereas the Vortex Mk.2 type ships and the late Admiral Sunfall's Eye of Heaven fielded a 'VAS' type of the Wave-Loom device. Much difference between those two versions of the weapon?

Are there more unique ships like Skymaster, Eye of Heaven, or Cry of the Wind around in the Loroi fleet? I reckon Tempest is now a unique vessel too, but appearantly the Cataclysm type has at least three vessels in its class. Do other Loroi Sector Fleets (the fleet guarding the Nissek border comes to mind) field their own special/unique command vessel?

Is Rigai Mozin's courier vessel a Herald, or do the Barsam have their own class(es) of courier vessel(s)?

And lastly, you mentioned in the Umiak warships page that the Loroi explitedly keep the Wave-Loom around for use against TTK Ultraheavies, but besides the Tempest and Cry of the Wind, no other Loroi ship classes seem to field the device.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

GeoModder wrote:The current Cry of the Wind Loroi flagship, was it constructed after Emperor Eight Dawn's Skymaster was lost in 2140, or did Emperor Greywind pick an existing ICS as her new 'mobile office'?
Cry of the Wind was built after Greywind became Emperor. She would have used some other command ship in the interim.
GeoModder wrote:I noticed the Cry of the Wind fields a 'RXS' type of the Wave-Loom, whereas the Vortex Mk.2 type ships and the late Admiral Sunfall's Eye of Heaven fielded a 'VAS' type of the Wave-Loom device. Much difference between those two versions of the weapon?
The RXS is a newer model of the Wave-Loom, which has fewer problems with overheating.
GeoModder wrote:Are there more unique ships like Skymaster, Eye of Heaven, or Cry of the Wind around in the Loroi fleet? I reckon Tempest is now a unique vessel too, but appearantly the Cataclysm type has at least three vessels in its class. Do other Loroi Sector Fleets (the fleet guarding the Nissek border comes to mind) field their own special/unique command vessel?
There are probably more unique command ships. My intent is that each of the named captains in the story uses a different ship class (for visual clarity), so it's possible that some new ones may pop up later.
GeoModder wrote:Is Rigai Mozin's courier vessel a Herald, or do the Barsam have their own class(es) of courier vessel(s)?
It is a Barsam-designed and -built vessel.
GeoModder wrote:And lastly, you mentioned in the Umiak warships page that the Loroi explitedly keep the Wave-Loom around for use against TTK Ultraheavies, but besides the Tempest and Cry of the Wind, no other Loroi ship classes seem to field the device.
There aren't many; a few citadels and perhaps a few other unique command ships. The argument was about whether the existing WLD's should be removed from those vessels that currently mount them.

Rematog

Post by Rematog »

Geo,

No, not 10% per year. In calculation of a long term population growth potential, I added a 10% "mortality" to each birth "class" in the year of it's birth, a one time "decimation" to cover birth to age 12 deaths, i.e. births not joining the adult population basis 12 years hence.

Then I calculated births based on the population 12 years prior, i.e. including that birth class. I then deducted a 0.7% average population mortality and added births and subtracted deaths to come up with next year's population. Run this out for a hundred years or so and the annual growth rate converges at 8.367%

I didn't attempt any estimates for deaths of warriors (as opposed to civilians) after adulthood.

So, in summary I estimated three things, based on my prior stated assumtions:
(corrected for a 10% mortality between birth and age 12)

1) Peace time maximum population growth rate of 8.4% (this maintains a 90F/10M population split)
2) Wartime Maximum "Warrior Generation" of 246,000/year per million of 90F/10M civilian population. (Female warriors)
3) Doing the Max "Warrior Generation" will result in a 50/50 adult population of 1.8 Million in 51 years, and about 350k juvenile males "in the pipeline" along with a bit over 3 Million juvenile females in Warrior training.

That's not a baby boom, it's a Baby tactial nuc......

JQBogus

Post by JQBogus »

The Loroi baby tac-nuke doesn't seem all that relevant in a war fought mostly ship to ship. Sure, they can pump out 246,000 new warriors per year per million population, but that is pretty pointless if they can't build enough ships to put them on.

IIRC, Arioch once said they Loroi population was about 50 billion. 50 Billion = 50,000 million = 12,300,000,000 new warriors a year, by your calculation. Given that a Loroi battleship complement is about 600, that means they'd have to build about 20 million battleships per year to take full advantage of their potential reproductive rate.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Hey Arioch, do ALL Loroi have edict memory or just Beryl's caste?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:Hey Arioch, do ALL Loroi have edict memory or just Beryl's caste?
A small percentage of Loroi have eidetic memory, but it is not strictly limited to the Listel caste; there are Loroi in other castes who have it.

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

What other defining characteristics have the Listel, then?
Don't delay, join today!

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:What other defining characteristics have the Listel, then?
Well, the Listel is a military caste, and so males or civilian females with eidetic memory would not be eligible, but there are appropriate civilian guilds and male orders that perform similar functions to the Listel and welcome eidetic individuals. Also, though eidetic memory is rare, there are other traits that are more rare, and so a Loroi with both eidetic memory and psychokinesis would probably become a Teidar or Mizol, rather than Listel.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

What are the wastes? Why are they called that?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Grayhome wrote:What are the wastes? Why are they called that?
It's a region of lower-than-normal star density containing few habitable systems.