Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Game Theory

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Game Theory »

I Loroi are as similar to humans as is suggested, does anyone think they have this for their pilots. If it works, humans should defiantly have it as it was introduced in 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c1lqFXHvqI

"So what do you do when your opponent can literally think you to death"
"So what do you do when your opponent can literally think you to death?"

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Game Theory wrote:Buuuuutttt... shouldn't it be easy for an autonomous drone to tell the difference between a Loroi and Umaki and if not, could not all combatants wear electronic markers wearing transmitting a "friendly" tag.
Electronic markers can be read by the enemy too. In a high-tech battlefield against a high-tech enemy, you don't want to broadcast your location.

Game Theory

Post by Game Theory »

Do Loroi have to be taught telepathic language or can any two Loroi communicate no matter where they come from.

Game Theory

Post by Game Theory »

Two questions.

How do I get those cool quotes on he bottom of all my comments.

How do I get my account to accept an avatar picture.

Also, How rigid exactly is the Loroi cast system. Does each trade have it's own group of caretakers, or are all children raised by the same group depending on location. And wouldn't it make evolutionary sense to favor your own children oven others when the community takes care of the children collectively, the selfish individuals would have greater success if they took advantage of everyone else s altruism, and then more of the children would be selfish etc... Or did they not evolve significantly after the fall of the Soia.

I think they evolved a lot because they have casts like the <one beryl is in> with specific physiological features.

Also, exactly how screwed is Alex when they figure out what he said to his crew mates was complete gibberish, beryl having an idetic memory and all. I know the officer that talked to him wanted him to stay and watch, but still storm seemed ready to kill him, a lot.

Also how many fingers do the Neridi and Barsam have.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Game Theory wrote:Do Loroi have to be taught telepathic language or can any two Loroi communicate no matter where they come from.
Loroi must learn to compose coherent telepathic messages (babies just make telepathic noise), but these messages can be understood by Loroi of any culture.
Game Theory wrote:How do I get those cool quotes on he bottom of all my comments.
How do I get my account to accept an avatar picture.
In User Control Panel, under Profile, select Edit Signature or Edit Avatar. The avatar must be no more than 80x80 pixels and no more than 16KB.
Game Theory wrote:Also, How rigid exactly is the Loroi cast system. Does each trade have it's own group of caretakers, or are all children raised by the same group depending on location. And wouldn't it make evolutionary sense to favor your own children oven others when the community takes care of the children collectively, the selfish individuals would have greater success if they took advantage of everyone else s altruism, and then more of the children would be selfish etc...
Children are usually raised in creches that are local to communities or individual castes/guilds, or both. Often the caretakers are lower-ranked females who do not have children of their own, but who are often related to the other mothers. In genetic terms, this is a similar arrangement to many social animal species in which only the dominant female(s) breed, and all the other females (sterile or not) take care of young that are not their own. The non-breeding females are indirectly helping related genes to spread.
Game Theory wrote:Or did they not evolve significantly after the fall of the Soia. I think they evolved a lot because they have casts like the <one beryl is in> with specific physiological features.
Although males are outside the caste system and so allow for genes to pass between castes, the members of a particular caste do tend to be closely related to many others in the same caste. This does help perpetuate caste-specific traits like eidetic memory, psi abilities, etc.
Game Theory wrote:Also, exactly how screwed is Alex when they figure out what he said to his crew mates was complete gibberish, beryl having an idetic memory and all. I know the officer that talked to him wanted him to stay and watch, but still storm seemed ready to kill him, a lot.
Even if Beryl were to learn English, I doubt she would make much of Alex's speech, because she doesn't understand the cultural reference. He does say "now it's time to say goodbye," and Beryl will have no idea who Mickey Mouse is, so I don't think she would find it unusually strange. It's no stranger to an outsider than if he had said the Lord's Prayer, or almost any other ritual utterance that made unfamiliar cultural references.
Game Theory wrote:Also how many fingers do the Neridi and Barsam have.
Four on each hand.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Game Theory wrote: Also how many fingers do the Neridi and Barsam have.
"Zammis, get four, five~ Uncle?"
- 'Enemy Mine' {1985}
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

sunphoenix wrote:
Game Theory wrote: Also how many fingers do the Neridi and Barsam have.
"Zammis, get four, five~ Uncle?"
- 'Enemy Mine' {1985}
At least the claws were pretty straight forward. :mrgreen:

Game Theory

Post by Game Theory »

Why would the historians go to the trouble of creating artificial personality bots, why not just communicate exclusively through video chat.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Game Theory wrote:Why would the historians go to the trouble of creating artificial personality bots, why not just communicate exclusively through video chat.
Without faster-than-light communication, you can't video chat with someone in a different star system.

Game Theory

Post by Game Theory »

Yeah, but why does it matter weather you send a Barsam ship with an AI or a historian ship with historians staying out of Loroi mind reading range?

Also what were Loroi, Barsam, Neridi, and Umaki conception of aliens before first contact? Was it anything like war of the worlds with "minds that are to <insert spiecies here> like <blank>'s is to those beasts who perish". Or were they expecting inferior green <blank> ready to welcome their awesomeness.

Edit: OH, OH also, how do human ships vent the heat that comes from their nuclear reactors; how do they even use the nuclear reaction to generate thrust, do they shoot the plasma out the back, or does it power an ion engine. How much power does FTL require, does the FTL design/ concept change with tech level, like a hand held version for level 14 or is it stuck in its original size.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

There are separeted "law enforcement" caste or "firefighter" caste ?

Can loroi get muscular ? If yes, how much ?

We will see Sunfury in the comic ? If we don't, can we get an image of her ?

We will have a chance to meet the daughter/son of the characters we already know like Beryl, Tempo, Talon, Cloud, etc. ?

What a miros look like ? Do you have an image of one ?

Waht was the inspiration of the loroi logo ? The minnir ? Do you have an image of one ?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Game Theory wrote:Yeah, but why does it matter weather you send a Barsam ship with an AI or a historian ship with historians staying out of Loroi mind reading range?
The living Historians don't seem to like to travel outside their own territory. The reason for this is not general knowledge, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Loroi telepathy.
Game Theory wrote:Also what were Loroi, Barsam, Neridi, and Umaki conception of aliens before first contact? Was it anything like war of the worlds with "minds that are to <insert spiecies here> like <blank>'s is to those beasts who perish". Or were they expecting inferior green <blank> ready to welcome their awesomeness.
All four races had legends of contact with aliens in the distant past, so the idea was always there, but none of them knew exactly what to expect. I'm sure different groups and individuals had different ideas of what aliens might be like, just as we do now.
Game Theory wrote:Edit: OH, OH also, how do human ships vent the heat that comes from their nuclear reactors; how do they even use the nuclear reaction to generate thrust, do they shoot the plasma out the back, or does it power an ion engine.
It's probably an ion drive.
Game Theory wrote:How much power does FTL require, does the FTL design/ concept change with tech level, like a hand held version for level 14 or is it stuck in its original size.
The jump generator requires a lot of power, such that a ship must normally charge a capacitor for a period of time before being able to activate it. The generator itself is not huge, but the power requirement is the limiting factor on the size of FTL craft (there is a minimum amount of energy required to break the surface tension of space time, regardless of how small the craft is).

What is or is not possible at TL14 is not general knowledge to those in the story.
Onaiom wrote:There are separeted "law enforcement" caste or "firefighter" caste ?
The Soroin caste has a military police wing, who handle many law enforcement duties. Other warrior castes also have legal/enforcement entities (notably the Mizol), but there is no dedicated "police" caste.

Similarly, there is no "fireman" caste, but rather civilian and military specializations within other castes or guilds.
Onaiom wrote:Can loroi get muscular ? If yes, how much ?
About as much as a human female can, assuming that neither uses drugs or hormones. I find that female athletes who train for strength (rather than deliberately building mass) usually don't get all that muscular.
Onaiom wrote:We will see Sunfury in the comic ?
Yes. Her visual design is not yet set.
Onaiom wrote:We will have a chance to meet the daughter/son of the characters we already know like Beryl, Tempo, Talon, Cloud, etc. ?
Not many. The children of most of the Loroi characters we know are very young and nowhere near the frontline areas. We will have an opportunity to see some of Greywind's relatives, including Ashrain's father.
Onaiom wrote:What a miros look like ? Do you have an image of one ?
It looks a bit like a feral pig. I don't currently have an image of one.
Onaiom wrote:Waht was the inspiration of the loroi logo ? The minnir ? Do you have an image of one ?
It's kind of a combination of the Venus symbol and the Star Bird logo, which was from a toy I liked as a kid.

In-story, the logo is based on the minnir, an aerial predator that looks a bit like a cross between a swallow and a pterodactyl. I don't currently have an image (other than the logo).

Game Theory

Post by Game Theory »

How do they get power from the nuclear reactor, do they use a miniature steam engine that spins a magnet or some other method?

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Arioch wrote:
Onaiom wrote:Waht was the inspiration of the loroi logo ? The minnir ? Do you have an image of one ?
It's kind of a combination of the Venus symbol and the Star Bird logo, which was from a toy I liked as a kid.

In-story, the logo is based on the minnir, an aerial predator that looks a bit like a cross between a swallow and a pterodactyl. I don't currently have an image (other than the logo).
It also looks kinda like an angel. :3
Don't delay, join today!

Mr Bojangles

Post by Mr Bojangles »

Arioch wrote:It's probably an ion drive.
Given what ion drives can do now, that's a really impressive advancement. :)
Game Theory wrote:How do they get power from the nuclear reactor, do they use a miniature steam engine that spins a magnet or some other method?
Most likely a form of direct-energy conversion.

Onaiom

Post by Onaiom »

About the star map of the Seren Theater.

Delivered is still occupied by the Umiak ?

Tedel, Rosair, Berres, Eiren Sipis, Laisas, Geit Roba and Ukko were former Loroi territory ?

Tasinei, Dallete, Talas, Donsil, Nelain, Baarol, Naam were former Loroi territory ?

Why Ord is not yet claimed by either the Umiak or the Morat ?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Onaiom wrote:Delivered is still occupied by the Umiak ?
Yes. This is a case in which the two-dimensional nature of the map doesn't adequately represent the full three-dimensional picture.
Onaiom wrote:Tedel, Rosair, Berres, Eiren Sipis, Laisas, Geit Roba and Ukko were former Loroi territory ? Tasinei, Dallete, Talas, Donsil, Nelain, Baarol, Naam were former Loroi territory ?
Ukko, Baarol and Naam were uninhabited border systems, and Donsil was part of Morat territory. The rest were formerly Loroi systems.
Why Ord is not yet claimed by either the Umiak or the Morat ?
It doesn't contain any habitable planets.

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Why "Place of Contempt?"

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

fredgiblet wrote:Why "Place of Contempt?"
The Historians named it, so it's hard to say with certainty. One theory is that it's because it's a comparatively remote border system, that has been on multiple occasions "defiled" with the presence of alien visitors.

Siber

Post by Siber »

All the Historian placenames are rather... interesting. Seat, Next, Wanderer, Little, Fargone... quite enigmatic.
Atomic Space Race, a hard sci-fi orbital mechanics puzzle game.
Homeworld Fulcrum, a Homeworld Remastered Mod