[RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: [RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

Post by sunphoenix »

VonWolffe wrote:I would count on a grenade ten times out of ten during room clearing before I would stand in the open and fire a jet of plasma at the enemy before having my guys charge into the room I just set ablaze, molten metal and all. Taking away a weapon that we have not used for 60 years does not make us less effective at room clearing or boarding actions. It will take a statement from Arioch's himself to convince me that in this universe a flamethrower is a good idea, and even then I will know better.
Even in Warhammer 40k...'Melta' and 'Flamer' weapons are used on chaos spawn especially to keep them from overrunning held positions! Imperial Guardsman do NOT enter areas hit with Flamer or melta fire! They prefer Frag & Krak grenades! :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Observe my edited post for videos of room clearing in practice. At no point does a flamethrower seem like a great plan. Maybe in the open or when fighting in heavy brush, but closed quarters? Any weapon that does not instantly kill the enemy is a recipe to get yourself killed. Flash or frag then two in the chest and be done with it.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Did you miss this part of my post this morning Senanthes?

"Switching to the comm Stormrage transmits to the adrift loroi crewsister, [ This is Teidar Sezon Stormrage of the Argent Fire. We have heard you sister and are on our way. Pulse your comm again in 200 solon. ]"
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Flamethrower is great weapon, because it has great strength to destroy, creates fear and cut visibility.
It has one fatal flaw. It is very vulnerable to well placed shot, which turn the user and anyone around him fiery deaths.
And there are many 'minor' flaws, like no stealth or danger of burn yourself in small spaces.
Supporter of forum RPG

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

I think I did, at that. My apologies. Edit incoming.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

No problem Senanthes.

Well.. I'm suitably satisfied with the wealth of posts and interaction from the human side of things... I'll be sticking with Stormrage.

Dragoon if you need a set of the BESM game rules to make your character.. I can make them available.

By the way Senanthes... nice character build for Sunbloom! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Glad you like her Sun! ^.^ And yeah, I'm very impressed with the speed at which this RP has taken off on both sides myself. Hoping to see it turn into something special.

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

I changed a bit my post. Thanks for criticism and comments as always ;]
VanWolffie
Thanks for link Wolffie I will read it in free time.
You don't need to remind me of Geneva convention but remember it counts only form humans not alien beings.. but yea it's always "flashbang and clean out" action in CQB most effective. I have some simulation in my head but doesn't having shuttle layout is kinda tricky.. Plus remember that humans don't know philology of arriving aliens so we don't know how would they react to high noise\flash while most of creatures fear naturally of fire as something unnatural...

First officer may don't know what orders Chief officer gave his men that's not his role. He just orders what "protocol" dictates. If they are already dressed it better for them ;]

I treat flamethrower ONLY as a intimating tool and YES I saw it in use many times.... maybe not as a "rifle" thing but I will say only that Americans have huge monopoly for using burning weapons today..

I removed flamethrower as Suederwind proposed.

About new char:
Nice character Senanthes. Welcome aboard!

ps.
Do you ever sleep guys? I wake up and have several new posts to read. THANKS A LOT!!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

sunphoenix wrote:Sorry guys. I can't post during the day until about 5PM EST. I made a post this morning hastily and didn't have time to proof-read it. I made a typo on my post.. I meant 10 G's of acceleration. Originally we - the loroi, were on the other type of shuttle we have IT is capable of 12 Gs of thrust... I keep forgetting that. If I would have been at home today ... I likely would have realized my mistake and corrected it.

Just the limits of a PbP game ... if this would have been a sesssion of a sit down game I would have said, "I power up the drives to max 12 G and make my way toward the omni-directional signal we just recived..."

To which I'm sure the GM - Suederwind would likly have said, "You're pushing the engines to 120%?"

Which I would have immediately realized my mistake, "Oh.. uh no! Were on the slipper... rightttt... no just to it's max thrust 10 Gs! I don't want to be reckless..."

That would be out of character for Stormrage, she's bold and direct but not foolish... especially when no such 'frantic' chances need be taken with their ONLY ship!

I'll try to be more mindful of the details in the future... or just not post when I'm rushed!
Hi sunphoenix!
thats indeed the limitation of a PbP RPG. I think thats something that fits to your character (no offense!), she would of course do anything to help a crewsister and is a bit direct.
On the other side, nothing to bad happend. The engines just need to cooldown and you made a great first impression on that shuttle pilot. ;)

@all: The last posts read very nice! Thank you all!
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I have only one more starship to finish - the Umiak Type-KK Command Cruiser, in the [RP]Cydonia Rising [Data: Ship Stats] thread. Once its done I'll be posting to that thread a rudimentary set of combat rules to explain how all those numbers and stats can be used in combat.

Arioch has some VERY powerful ships! They really make a 'comparitively equivalent' conversion to the BESM system... very hard! Some weapons systems are very much you get hit.. you die!

I hope my postulations give some idea of how deadly space combat is with his posted ships stats. Maybe he will make some adjustments with moy postulations...perhaps.. but he'd have to really understand the 3rd Edition BESM game to really understand how ... very lopsided a conflict could be. But perhaps he already knows that. Anyways, it was fun to try to make an accurate conversion of the monstrously powerful ships from what he's posted! :)

What I post will be useful to us... in our game should space combat become a reality. I tried VERY hard to make full use of all the data Arioch has published on the ships and weapons systems of the various races.

EDIT: Opps.. forgot to do the Loroi Plasma Pulse Cannon on the Tempest..lol! Ok..still need a tad bit of work on the Tempest... she's 'almost' done. :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

In all honestly looking at the ranges for her ships, and the power..they'd blow any ship from my game world right out of space....before they even knew they were under attack

Just a difference in scope and world views I think..but would love to see what a fleet battle would play out like using Loroi and Umiak ships :D

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

sunphoenix wrote:Some weapons systems are very much you get hit.. you die!
That's the purpose of the weapon. It's more than very dissappointing when you roll critical hit and the maximum damage with your mighty sword and you need 5 more of them.

Player: "Arrr. I pierced his heart with my skill and strength."
GM: "Keep going. The orc is now slightly wounded."
Supporter of forum RPG

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Dragoon wrote:..but would love to see what a fleet battle would play out like using Loroi and Umiak ships :D
I expect it would a a very fluid balance of jockeying for maintaining range as the Umiak Plasma Focus weaponry is VERY deadly in close and the Loroi who can't match that firepower keep their distance using their superior range to inflict slow but steady damage to the Umiak. Everyone desperately trying to avoid letting torpedoes get close cause only a hit from long range {so most of their anti-matter fuel is expended} is even remotely survivable!

Occasionally the fleet battle would be bisected by devastating mass destruction Wave-Loom blasts annihilating literally hundreds of smaller Umiak ships and severely damaging the big Battleships with their outrageous armor values... to cut them down to a more manageable size.

EDIT: Gah! I need to revise the torpedoes on all the ships...! They inflict Waaay more damage than I have them set for...sigh! Still not satisfied with the ranges and their calculation on missiles/torpedoes... have to think about it more.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hi there,
After reading VonWolffes post, I realized that Captain Blake is indeed a bit to much of a gentlemen in that situation. He did not intend to bring his ship or his crew in danger, so I will change his last lines to the boarding party a bit. I hope you don´t mind that.
My reason for playing him that way was that the players can finally gather aboard Cydonia. But regarding the current situation, thats a bit unrealistic.

Edit:
Changed his lines form:
Good job, so far. They reacted the same way, we thought they will. Try to find out from that survivor who they really are and what they know about us. We are not sure what this "Union" is, so be careful. As soon, as you have that survivor aboard, set a course back home and direct that other vessel to follow you. If there are any problems, we will be on our way to help you.
to this:
Good job, so far. They reacted the same way, we thought they will. Try to find out from that survivor who they really are and what they know about us. We are not sure what this "Union" is, so be careful and check what exactly is on board that alien vessel. As soon, as you have done that and found no threat for Cydonia, set a course back home and direct that other vessel to follow you. If there are any problems, we will be on our way to help you.
I hope that is okay.

Greetings,
Suederwind
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

@ sunphoenix

That sounds about right from what the read in the insider. I'd hate to be the poor guy on air defense with the number of missiles and torpedoes that seemed to be in the air during the depicted combat scenes.

Even with fighters, screening vessels and automated point defense systems. The Sheer number of targets, and other objects int he air must make point defense pretty difficult. Especially if the Loroi and umiak do not have an integrated fire control system similar to the AEGIS system.

If you don't mind let me ask are you treating torpedoes as a weapon, or a small vessel on it's own.While i was working with my ship combat mods I discovered it was actually easier and a little more streamlined if you treated a torpedo as a very small ship...
In this case assign them a number of movement units of fuel...then each unit a damge value when detonated... that way you can track the fuel expended and very quickly come up with the amount of fuel remaining in the tanks for use as a warhead.
Since I am assuming
1) a torpedo can track it's target...
2) the target might be maneuvering quite a bit...
3) The torpedo can come around for another attack if it misses on its first run...

simply tracking range from launch vehicle to target might be a little inaccurate.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

[Leader of "wolfpack alpha", I´m Mizol Parat Beganenzit. My spoken name means "twilight saber". Who am I speaking to? We are glad to hear that you offer us medical assistance and we will let two of your unarmed physicians aboard. However, I doubt that your vessel has enough space to accommodate us all. Therefore we will not leave our shuttle and go over to your craft. We insist on having our sister back on board our vessel as soon as possible and have her medical condition checked by our physicians. Finally, to make things clear: we are not a thread to you and this vessel is unarmed. I guarantee you that we will not use our personal weapons against you, your "wolfpack alpha" or anyone aboard your parent vessel, as long as you do not attack us. However we will not turn those weapons over to you at the moment. This is a topic we would be happy to discuss with your superiors aboard your parent vessel. We hope that you found this conditions... acceptable.]
AHA HA HAH HA HAH HA HAHA HA HA-Let the alien suck vacuum. There isn't a single soldier in the history of war who would believe that load of garbage. I vote that because the Loroi reputation is so abysmal she automatically fail this diplomatic check. Fail it hard.

This would be akin to a Pathfinder game of an Orks in a lifeboat (reputation = terrible) ship trying to make peace with a group of elves (reputation = peaceful).

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

For one what the Humans asked for - no solider in their right minds would agree to either!

Consider if the US Navy encountered the lifeboat of Russian sailors lost as sea. Ostensibly the Russians have a bad reputation with the US ... but they would not be treated as enemies nor asked to surrender themselves as if pioneers... unless a state of war existed between the US and Russian .. which has NEVER happened! 20 to 30 survivors even if all of them were armed with sidearms.. which they most likely would not be .. would STILL be no threat to a fully manned US warship with a crew of 400 or more!

Also the Loroi may have bad reputation with certain factions of the galaxy community ...namely those siding with their enemies... but Humaniti is new to space and has only met one alien race which only knows of the Umiak/Loroi conflict by hearsay. The Orgrus had no personal dealings with the Loroi at all.

Plus, Humaniti know that the Loroi and the Umiak are ultra-advanced... and have reputedly HUGE space navies... why antagonize one of their lifeboats of survivors who are ostensibly inclined to be friendly for their assistance? Humaniti's frigate is no prize to the Loroi they would have no need of it other than to get them to a planet where they could seek to reestablish contact with their own peoples - something mankind has been trying to do ANYWAYS!

The Mizol makes a good point no matter what the human soldiers would like.. there is no way all the Loroi refugees will fit on their tiny shuttle. No human soldier in the same situation would surrender their arms were the circumstances reversed! Why would humaniti expect a ostensibly more advanced and powerful race to submit to such foolishness?

"Let the aliens suck vacuum...", THIS is why soldiers are NOT diplomats!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

As sunphoenix pointed out most of the arguments why the Mizol is behaving like this, I would only like to add one important point: the Loroi in this game are not enemies of the humans, they are on a mission to establish diplomatic contact with them.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

I would only like to add one important point: the Loroi in this game are not enemies of the humans, they are on a mission to establish diplomatic contact with them.
Actually, the Loroi technically are at war with Humanity. The Loroi have declared an anti neutrality policy, that means the Loroi would be fully within their rights (from their perspective) to seize the human ship and pilot it back to Human space via their cargo of impressed human slaves. The Loroi are at war with everyone and they have entered an especially desperate time in this war. But I will concede the point to you since this is your game and thus you define the rules and therefore the conduct that is to be expected in the following game sessions.

As for the request of the Mizol, the Loroi of this little lifeboat are in no position to negotiate anything, their survival is entirely dependent upon the good graces of humanity. You have misplayed your hand good sir, especially when you had the telepathic alien ask to speak in person to the superior officers of the human ship. Anyone who has seen a single alien invasion movie involving telepathy would receive warning gongs, especially in view of which race was asking.

I do not wish to seem aggressively pessimistic in this appraisal, but the Loroi are an aggressive race, and this particular party of survivors has been put into a very bad position. Many are wounded, their ship has been destroyed, and the rescue committee has been estimated as easy prey.
Last edited by Grayhome on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon »

What we have here is a classic negotiation...

when I worked as a car salesman, my manager once told me your first offer should make them look at you and go..."Are you serious...you can do better than that.."

The idea being that after the first offer you second offer sounds more realistic...even if you aren't offering the "best Deal"

Its part of negotiating... one side asks for too much, the other side agrees to too little to begin with...then they work toward the middle. ...in the end both sides get part of what they want without giving up anything they have to have.