[RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Random Person

Re: [RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

Post by Random Person »

Sorry guys, I actually won't be able to participate. Classes are starting in a few days and I really don't need the distraction.
Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? It's not my department. -Wernher von Braun

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Thats sad to hear. Good luck!
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Sorry to be dominating the RP in the current thread. I had expected Suederwind to make a new thread when the shuttle launched - so I could close this thread and EVERYONE could get into the drama and RP.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

I'm waiting for help to be sent for so Malidasaria can be introduced. '-'
Don't delay, join today!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Actually... looking at the two character's stats... Softsapphire versus Thoughtvenom... Thoughtvemon would be the better choice. She has electonics and computers...

Perhaps you should but in and point that out?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Yiuel

Post by Yiuel »

Quick questions :

1. Size of the probe vs. size of the shuttle. Is the shuttle big enough and probe small enough that we could get the probe and analyse it in the relative safety of our shuttle.

2. Radiation levels vs. Loroi physiology. I made two checks, I will need an answer from the DM to give a proper course of action.

Finally, made it wide open for a Tech Girl to stand up. So please use it :p
la nɔtʀʏltsɪmœ ʀɛv, dɛ ʒã puʀ la pʀɔtɛʒe
nu vœnõ dõkœ dœ tupaʀtu, puʀ ɛtʀœ sa ɡʀãdaʀme
dœ la site pʀɔtɛktœʀ, dœ sœ ʀɛvœ defãsœʀ
ynjõ dœ la fɔʀsœ dœ tus, nu vwasijalɔʀ lɛzɔʀiɔnɪt

- The Chant of A Certain Army

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hi there!
I intended to stop the rp and open an new thread for the real deal, after the first contact. I first intended that all of the things before that would be told in a backflash from the argent fires and cydonias commanders/captains. Letting you play all this is much more fun, I have to say and we are progressing very rappidly (compared to the other games here).
I really had no idea that you would be that cautious. Possibly doing an EVA for contacting that probe... I really haven' thought on that. Nicely played! :D
Indeed, CJ Millers character would be more fitting. Feel free to post your part.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

@Yiuel:
1.) Your character don't know how big that probe is. OOC: that thing will be made of some sort of sensor array, thrusters, a com unit and a small reactor, attached to an asteroid. Nothing too sophisticated, but it does its job. (What kind of wordplay do you use in the english speaking world for something absolutly standard, without any extras? We in Germany say its 08/15. Nevertheless, thats exactly what this probe is.) The whole Asteroid will not fit in the shuttle, but you might be able to remove the probe or parts from it.

2.)Your character knows now that Twilightsaber didn't lie to you. It is in fact very dangerous to go out there. I have to say, that I'm not sure how to convert solon into minutes, so that 600 solon should be around 10 minutes. Maybe someone could correct me, if I am wrong on that. Thanks in advance! Nevertheless, you have to be quick.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

600 solons is 11 Earth human minutes.

And I don't think there's any way to introduce Malidasaria right now aside from having her suddenly also be on another of the Argent Fire's escape pods, which is implausible as all get out and maybe also godmoding. When Softsapphire shut the sensors off, did she go into radio blackout as well?
Don't delay, join today!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Well, introducing your char is no problem (at least for my point of view). She is there on that shuttle, but she hasn't said or done anything yet, exept escaping. Like Yiuel and I said, feel free to post.
Thanks for solving that little solon problem.
Edit: I reworked the first Post in this thread (again), should be easier to find the necessary informations.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

I assure you there is no Navy in the world that uses 'Away Teams' like in Star Trek and a First Officer would never be part of a Boarding Party. Delegation of duty is a big part of Command. You use your Gunners to accomplish Gunner's Objectives, you use your Marines to carry out Marine's Objectives, and you use Naval Officers in the capacity of the duties in which they are trained.

Boarding parties at work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANu6yq1O07Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vodh2Cg_3yQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwidx05ZdbU

And no, using a Boarding Party does not mean going 'Fangs Out' and killing everything you see. They are trained to provide medical services, accomplish diplomatic objectives, and check and clear individuals before they are allowed to step aboard a host vessel.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I guess you are very right here, I was aware of that. Well, we could guess that Blake wants his First Officer aboard for some reason. Reason for me as a GM is that the players can act and interact a bit more on their own. I hope you do not mind. :?
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Of course I do not mind Suederwind, thank you for understanding. For gameplay's sake it's fine, though this kind of thing would not fly in reality. Provided the First Officer is along in an observer capacity and the Marines run the show during the boarding it's good.

You're doing a good job my friend, I am quite enjoying everyone's writing. :)

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I should have made that one clearer from the beginning and try to keep that in mind.
Well, I'll guess Ferox and Wolffe need to talk a little bit...
Its really a good game and that star trek reference was totaly unexpected. :lol:

Edit: Really need to get some sleep now. Can't believe its that late, again. :shock:
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

... Beliskner your post is either going to need some heavy revision or you are going to get a scathing in character response.

Chief is a non commissioned rank, Wolffe is commissioned and his title is Security Officer. There is no excuse for not recognizing someone's rank, and even less for disrespecting a commissioned officer. You get charged for that kind of thing.

Boarding parties are typically 10 man teams made up exclusively or Marines receiving real time feedback via comms from command. No person not trained for boarding party duties (marines only) should even be stepping across if not for the sake of the RP until after the boarding party made a full sweep. Wheras Wolffe just corrected the Captain from playing the Star Trek and forming away teams made up of random crew, now you are doing the same thing.

A Section consists of eight Marines, plus the Boarding Party Officer and his signaller. Not only is it not within the First Officer or Captain's authority or mandate to micromanage the team (that's why you have a BPO), but the three guys you have proposed is not even half of the Boarding Party, and is barely more than a Fire Team. Fire Team plus BPO and miscellaneous crew the FO feels appropriate is not a Boarding Party as was just explained to the Captain.

If we are actually going to RP then I am going to hope for as much realism as possible, if not then I may as well start having Wolffe wear a sailor schoolgirl uniform and summoning the power of the moon cause it's amateur night in Dixie up in here.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hm... that whole thing has rissen some questions and comments, at least for me:

-How many Marines are on board? Arioch stated that those 10 Security units are no longer correct. One security unit has 6 members, ten of them would be 60 marines, thats half of Cydonias crew. I have no idea how many Marines are typically aboard a warship today, but I highlly doubt that those make up 50% of its crew. So, Wolffs boarding party would be 6 of his men + himself, I think. Please correct me if I am wrong.

-We could play it very realistic and have no other officer and personell aboard that shuttle, besides the Marines or play it more Star Trekish. I would suggest a mixture of both. Not too realistic, as we have no idea they would handle such a thing in the future and not too Star Trekish, as I don't like anyone to end up as a red shirt character of some sort. What is your oppinion? I will of course change my postings, if necessary.

-I think that the Marines know how to use a blowtorch. "Hold hot end against the target and start cutting." Thats not too different from a gun. Nevertheless, having a technical guy on board would make some sense to me. He might have more of a clue if thats a mine or just a piece of molten hull you guys want to cut in pieces. On the other side, Ferrox has some experience in that field and so another guy would not be needed. What do you think?

-I think those Marines know enough of first aid, that the Doc can stay at home. You might take some first aid kits with you, but at the moment I think there will be some aboard that shuttle, together with a set of tools, like a blowtorch.

-Please keep in mind, that there is only room for 15 people on board the human shuttle and you want to bring back some debris from those destroyed ships, if possible.

-I'm not sure at the moment, what the Loroi players want to achieve. Do you want to contact that "drone" thing directly, do you want to cut it in pieces and analyze it in your shuttle? Maybe I just didn't got that part. Sorry in advance.

-Beliskner, no offense, but VonWolffe has a point, you should correct that rank of his character.

Edit: done some spell checking
Last edited by Suederwind on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Victor_D

Post by Victor_D »

If I may interject... it seems to me that due to the sensitivity of the situation - a potential first contact with a powerful alien species - a sensible Captain would want a high ranking officer he trusts there to oversee it. This is not a strictly military situation, plus someone with technical expertise (an engineer) would also be needed if salvage of alien tech is a secondary objective.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Thats indeed a valid point. Thanks, Victor_d!
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Yiuel

Post by Yiuel »

- The intention of my character (Softsapphire) was to bring the thing in, and analyse it inside. That is why I wanted to know if I could bring it in. Indeed, seeing it could have been interesting. (Which brings me a question. Do I see it? If I see it, are there any marks? If their are, I must compare them with all the memories I have. )
la nɔtʀʏltsɪmœ ʀɛv, dɛ ʒã puʀ la pʀɔtɛʒe
nu vœnõ dõkœ dœ tupaʀtu, puʀ ɛtʀœ sa ɡʀãdaʀme
dœ la site pʀɔtɛktœʀ, dœ sœ ʀɛvœ defãsœʀ
ynjõ dœ la fɔʀsœ dœ tus, nu vwasijalɔʀ lɛzɔʀiɔnɪt

- The Chant of A Certain Army

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

Already fixed, I made 8 members away team for shuttle mission. Ferox, 2 engineers, pilot and 4 your marines.
Take note that they will not board any ship(there is non) but only go to salvage wreckage and contact alien shuttle in close range(which makes basically security detail unnecessary.

What's more, with no offense VonWolffe. Soon whole security detail will be needed aboard Cydonia when alien shuttle is invited in. It would be most important for chief security officer then to prepare whole ship while it's his job and main responsibility.)
Last edited by Beliskner on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.