[RP] Tempest Expedition (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Gudo

Re: [RP] Tempest Expedition (OOC)

Post by Gudo »

Draft? What country are you in that still city-based running draft?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I didn't want to ask...and seem like I'm prying...but, I'm also curious? What country do you live in?
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Estonia, and the draft isn't city-based. The draft applies to all men above age 18. It's just that there is naturally more than one draft board in the country and everyone needs to report to the draft board closest to their home. Heck, considering Tartu is the second-biggest city in the country, I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than one draft board in the city.

Also, conscripts just recieve nine months of reservist training. It's not like they're sending us to Afganistan to fight. They leave that to the professional military.

Anyway, feel free to take control of Stone and Knifebearer to decide what to do next. In case you're interested, the gravity aboard the station is 0.23 G. The floors are metal and your hardsuits have magnetic boots and lining that can "increase" gravity to about 0.8 G on a personal scale. While active, the magnets prevent you from touching each other, though.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

I am right when I remember Sunbloom to be in over-all command of the boarding operation aren't I?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Yes. You are correct... she is overall field command of the away mission forces to secure the the Comm Station.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

I was sort of toying with the idea of creating one of the Marine medics as a PC, for the times when Sunbloom wouldn't be appropriate and/ or simply to fill out the roster a bit. However, I wish to know if anyone would object to this. If not, I'll set up a sheet straight away. If so, I understand and will refrain. :)

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Knock yourself out... make anyone you want! :) I'm just going to tackle playing one character per story-line well! :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Don't you guys dare post in the IC thread for like, 30 mins :P I'm just finishing off one of my posts and it wouldn;t be the first time someone's sniped my spot :3 hahahah

[EDIT]Ok, done. Go for it :P[/EDIT]

Oh yeah and Senanthes, I don't have any problem with you making another PC. So long as it's OK with Martenzo. I was kinda toying with the idea of making another one for myself too :O

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

*chuckles* You know what they say Gudo; great minds think alike. ;)

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Not worth another IC post, but in addition to climbing the shaft or fixing the elevator, Mord will also suggest the following as possible ways to ascend.

We could destroy the grav-generator (assuming of course that there is actually such a thing) which would make upward mobility a snap. As an added plus, nobody would be able to drop an elevator on our heads :P

Or, we could flip on the magnet boots, exit the hangar and climb up the outside of the station. We cut our way in and avoid any encounters or traps on the inside.
Unforsaken: I assume you'll be doing a close reconnoiter (and asking Martenzo what you discover :P.) Mord will ask that you include details that would either rule this approach out or in.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Well, I can ask for what Dragon sees, since I already sent her down to the lower sphere to check out the comms equipment, and with three fighters circling the central sphere I suppose they'd notice anything odd there too. However, Wolfe doesn't have a comm link to recieve the boarding party's chatter, so you'll have to ask directly through the dedicated fire-support channel...at least until Sunbloom answers Wolfe's comm request and he can ask for the party's comms to be also routed to him, so he knows more clearly what's going on inside. ;)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Senanthes

Post by Senanthes »

Assume that she would do so on demand, without comment or complaint. :) Easier than going through her CO... Especially for her. XD

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

This post no longer relevent. Spoiler'd for posterity.
SpoilerShow
(In response to IC thread post)
Nothing against you Sun, I just think you're being too hasty. We're not going up there yet.

In game: The other officers and PCs would stop you I think. Sunbloom is in charge and she's decided we should wait. It's not in Mord's character to disobey an order (in fact, his character sheet actually says he's really "good" on following them.) Additionally, we haven't decided the best way to ascend either.

Out of Character: You haven't even gotten the results from your mind-search rolls yet, and we're waiting for some other details from Martenzo before we go.
Last edited by Gudo on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I can see your point, though I'm not sure if there are private messages moving about from Martenzo that...of course I am not prvy too.

I was proceeding upon the order given here...
Senanthes wrote:...
Oddly, even in this situation, she continues to use her voice rather than Sanzai when addressing Stormrage, "Take two Marines with each pair and do so, Teidar. If the elevators can be made to function, look into it, but secure the lines immediately for our Marines. I want them able to push forward as soon as possible without undue risk after we know a bit more. Keep the shafts secured, but do not venture any further just yet."
I would have no issue waiting for Martenzo to reply first as per your points...all of which I agree with. 'Stormrage' is a little impulsive and if given an order to go... she will GO... Gung-Ho... all the way!

My intent was for 'Storm' to reach the top and secure the spot there..but venture no further. Perhaps see if the elevator was there and could be repowered and also to secure climbing cables for the Marines should the elevator be non-functional. I was holding off getting there in my post so if there was some detail in the shafts or hostiles Martenzo could make his details known.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Doh! That was totally my bad Sun D: Can't believe I missed that part of Senanthes' post >_< hahah, Well that solves that :P I'll delete my comment in the IC.

Carry on... :)

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL..No harm done. Actually I'm feeling a little self-conscious with playing a Teidar... I'm not really sure as to the limits of their Sanzai abilities. I am going to make them effectively expend some fatigue after such 'gross' manifestations of power.

Arioch has been ...vague about the full extent of what a Loroi telekinetic could do...so I'm trying to keep it reasonable and in vein with what has been witnessed. The point is ... if Sanzai powers could not be VERY destructive and equivalent to modern weapons the Loroi would NOT have an entire Caste of Sanzai Warriors who utilize these abilities.

They have got to be more than 'spot-on-the-wall powers' for any real combat effectiveness especially to warrant an entire Chaste of psychic warrior Super-Weapons!

So I'm going with a Jedi Knight / Mai the Psychic Girl level of power. Which would account for the low numbers of Teidar in the armed forces of the Loroi. Those Loroi powerful enough to ACTUALLY be Teidar should be Uncommon!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Those Loroi powerful enough to ACTUALLY be Teidar should be Uncommon!
That's the concept, yes.

In order to be a functioning Teidar, a Loroi must be powerful enough to kill with her psychokinetic powers alone.

At the minimum, this means the ability to pinch off blood supply or constrict organ function, possibly with the aid of strong telepathic support. But this is the level of ability one would expect of a Mizol rather than a Teidar.

Most Teidar have the (amplified) power to lift themselves, which is usually enough force to crush something vital in most beings without much resistance. A powerful Teidar can crush the armored chassis of an Umiak hardtrooper. The upper limit of Teidar power would be something like Fireblade's enraged/uncontrolled state, in which she can exert something on the order of six tons of force on something that is pissing her off.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Apologies for my lack of activity yesterday. I have not been drafted yet, but I have to go back in six months after some of my medical problems are treated.

Okay. As far as game rules are concerned, Teidar amplifiers give a +1 to +5 bonus to Telekinetic Power (TK-P) and an equal penalty to Telekinetic Control (TK-C). Note that this is not variable. For example a +1 amplifier gives a +1 bonus to Power and a -1 penalty to Control. All you need to do is decide on your amplifier strength, but once you decide its' strength, you can't go red-mage and change it every time you need come a point short of something.

Things like organ constriction and snapping arteries need a roll of 14 or higher on TK-C and 10 or higher on TK-P. Tearing open Umiak Hard-troopers with brute force requires 8 or higher on TK-C and 16 or higher on TK-P. Self-Levitation requires 10 TK-C and 8 to 14 TK-P depending on gravity. These targets are open to adjustment if you find them too hard or too easy to meet.

Amplifiers (at least the ones Teidar use) have no effect on other Sanzai abilities. Unless you really think a penalty on other sanzai abilities would make sense. Unless a Teidar is severely lacking in TK-P skill (while still having a high TK-C) or planning to make extensive use of brute-force TK abilities, it's better to keep their amplifiers off.

Telepathy result
SpoilerShow
Aside from the other Teidar and Sunbloom, you do not detect anything living on the station.

Martenzo

Post by Martenzo »

Scale retcon. Old post in spoilers
SpoilerShow
Oh, one more thing. The scale of the maps. The station is roughly 1.5km from bridge to the highest point of the comm array, and the plan is to scale. That would make the full length of the main elevator what, 500-something meters? Yeah, we'll go with that. Which would make a nice 250 meter drop for the descending team.
The station is a little over 300m long from bridge to the base of the communications array. The main elevator shaft is therefore about 140m long, with the hangars roughly at the mid-way point.
Last edited by Martenzo on Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ok. Not sure if you missed this. Martenzo... but 'Stormrage', 'Crimson-Cloud', 'Sgt Mjr Aedin' and one Marine went UP the Shaft. While, 'Dark-Sun', 'Silver-Wind' and two Marines went DOWN the shaft.

Unless you would prefer it go the other way, of course or if the Up-shaft is blocked?

I'll wait until you either reply or mod the last post.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke