WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Razor One

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Razor One »

Arioch's main drain on time judging by his posts on the subject in the past has always been work related. We also have to allow for the fact that after a busy and long work week, he might be a tad tired and would look forward to relaxing on the weekend like anyone else.

Posting on the forum is completely unlikely to be an actual drain on the comic though. It takes only a few minutes to type something up or to answer a question and even less time to read it, whereas a panel on the comic could take anywhere between an hour or two days to get just right depending on his process.

Posting on the forum is a good sign regardless, it shows us that he remains invested in the project and the small community that's sprung up around it and it'd be easy to call the comic dead otherwise.

If you want more regular updates (or at least, more frequent updates :P) the way towards getting that would be to free up Arioch from the burden of a 9 - 5 job whilst ensuring he remains capable of supporting himself and any dependents. The donate button is up on the main page, and while we could all donate a bit, I doubt we've got the numbers to make that work without it being extremely costly for us.

I do recall some talk of a Patreon thing. Not sure what's happening on that front, but I assume it's getting eternally delayed for the same reason as the comic; Arioch being eternally swamped with work.

I'm not privy to Arioch's private life (the guy deserves his privacy after all) so all I can really do is speculate, but it seems the most likely reason given what we know.

Look at it this way. The comic has had irregular updates for about 15 years now and is still going. Sometimes we get a good year with lots of updates, sometimes we get a bad year with updates far and few between. And its still here. Still going. That's dedication you've got to appreciate.
SpoilerShow
This is my Mod voice. If you see this in a thread, it means that the time for gentle reminders has passed.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

Razor One wrote:The comic has had irregular updates for about 15 years now and is still going. Sometimes we get a good year with lots of updates, sometimes we get a bad year with updates far and few between. And its still here. Still going. That's dedication you've got to appreciate.
I do, that's why I decided to register and be an Outsider... :=)

And he deserves all the time he needs. I'm a father of three young ones, and my wife is working as well. Sometimes there's no time left to do all: work, family, household, garden, keep up wqith friends and family, ....
Currently I'd prefer to have about 30 hours per day.

If he disappears, I suspect we'll notice about a year later, when the webhoster pulls the plug...
Vote for Outsider on TWC: Image
charred steppes, borders of territories: page 59,
jump-map of local stars: page 121, larger map in Loroi: page 118,
System view Leido Crossroads: page 123, after the battle page 195

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

I completely agree with Razor One with need to calm down from time to time. And if I understand this right Jim Francis work with other comics and if so Outsider is a private side project. As such I can understand if he is just sick of drawing comics all days and need to let that rest to recharge. He could step up Outsider production by making it an official project but if he does that then there would be a boss around that could give orders about content. We can give suggestion but refuse to obey the boss and you get fired.

discord

Post by discord »

http://stars-in-shadow.com/ <--- one of the other things he is working on.

MrNerdHair

Post by MrNerdHair »

We need a per-page Patreon for Arioch stat. I've been waiting for the ability to give this way for about a year now. There's something motivating about the promise of money that helps the creative juices flow!

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

You could donate using his donate link every time he updates... ;)
No need for the payment provider AND patreon to get their share.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:You could donate using his donate link every time he updates... ;)
No need for the payment provider AND patreon to get their share.
Yes I have already done this once and I can do so again but the $100 donation was a bulk payment for all the past ones. A $10-20 or so per page is doable thou. If enough people donate enough then producing Outsider may be become his extra income. By the way we should the latest post on Facebook as well to draw in attention from our friends and family. The ridicule we may attract for reading a space amazon comic is a sacrifice we just have to live with. :-P

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I do not have a facebook account...

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:I do not have a facebook account...
Then spread the word the way you can.

majorminor

Post by majorminor »

We must prepare as many as we can for our new blue space elf overlords.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

I already put outsider as "my home page" in the comments section of other webcomics when I reply.
Before it was Erstwhile, but that one has recently ended.
[url=http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20393#p20393][color=#FF0000]Arioch[/color][/url] in the [b]Work In Progress[/b] thread wrote:Ironically, the only one of the major characters who doesn't have a properly done model sheet is the main character. The original design design sheet is so old that I haven't used it in a long time, instead looking at previous pages for reference. This is probably why Alex is the most inconsistently drawn of all the major characters -- especially when it comes to his hairdo.

Trying to fix that.
SpoilerShow
Well, especially with Alex you can always point out, that Alex does not have access to a comb, brush, or similar, and has noone to cut his hair. So his hairdo will change anyway.
When you don't like how it feels, just make it a tad longer and give him a new, wilder hairdo every time you feel insecure about it.

Until his hair is like the Loroi ladies' hairstyle.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Krulle wrote:I already put outsider as "my home page" in the comments section of other webcomics when I reply.
Before it was Erstwhile, but that one has recently ended.
[url=http://www.well-of-souls.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=20393#p20393][color=#FF0000]Arioch[/color][/url] in the [b]Work In Progress[/b] thread wrote:Ironically, the only one of the major characters who doesn't have a properly done model sheet is the main character. The original design design sheet is so old that I haven't used it in a long time, instead looking at previous pages for reference. This is probably why Alex is the most inconsistently drawn of all the major characters -- especially when it comes to his hairdo.

Trying to fix that.
SpoilerShow
Well, especially with Alex you can always point out, that Alex does not have access to a comb, brush, or similar, and has noone to cut his hair. So his hairdo will change anyway.
When you don't like how it feels, just make it a tad longer and give him a new, wilder hairdo every time you feel insecure about it.

Until his hair is like the Loroi ladies' hairstyle.
I strongly suspect that the loroi military are well supplied with anything he need. He just have to ask.

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

There's something supremely satisfying about ships that fit into larger ships that well.
Ashrain is best rain.

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

Count Casimir wrote:There's something supremely satisfying about ships that fit into larger ships that well.
It's like the designers intended it that way. The shuttle got small foldable wings a rudders, obviously to aid in atmospheric flight. A classic trick on carrier based aircraft actually. And in Stargate Atlantis, the "puddlejumpers" got a foldable section as well.

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

SpoilerShow
That looks good.
Especially now that you have the models up and positioned, rendering is next. Which means the page is much closer now.

Dang, I'm checking your site far too often, I am very curious to see how this story develops.
But I've done the math. And I hope I can follow it to the end.
I am soo looking forward.

hack

Post by hack »

Sweforce wrote:
unless 'your way' involves killing runaways and writing messages in blood by the body.

don't do that.
-hack-

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

hack wrote:
Sweforce wrote:
unless 'your way' involves killing runaways and writing messages in blood by the body.

don't do that.
But åt least it would attract attention. :twisted:

Krulle

Post by Krulle »

PSSST!!!

I was preparing a series... Each one a replay of a death occurring and depicted in the comic.

Now I have to abondon that idea....
What will I do with my magival spears?

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

and that kid, is how baby ship are born!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Count Casimir wrote:There's something supremely satisfying about ships that fit into larger ships that well.
"Its a tight fit..."

... ...

:)

Nope can't hold it in...!!!

'Yes, we've ALL expected it would be!'~ and all the puerile innuendo that THAT implies! {Big Lascivious GRIN!}

LOLS!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."