Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Umiak/misc. races question-and-answer thre

Post by Arioch »

dragoongfa wrote:Quick question: What was the name of the Centaur like Soia-Liron race that used to live on Deinar before the Loroi?
Mozeret.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Hey Arioch, have you ever written up a GURPS racial package for the Umiak? And if you did could you post it? :)
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Hey Arioch, have you ever written up a GURPS racial package for the Umiak?
Not really. I checked my notes, and all I wrote down was:

Mathematical Ability
Low-G (1/3)
Single-Minded
Racial Armor/Toughness
Extra Limbs (legs)
Size
Racial Paranoia/Intolerance (minor version)
Duty/Reputation

I don't have the GURPS books handy to check whether these are still accurate, but they sound reasonable.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Squweeee! I do.. Thanks! :lol:
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ok.. how's this Arioch?

20 pts Umiak -
[10] Mathematical Ability
[-5] Low-G (1/3) : Light Worlder < ST -2 {-15}, HT -1 {-10}; Longer Limbs (+1Reach) {20} >
[5] Single-Minded : +3 to lengthy tasks, -5 to notice interruptions
[15] Racial Armor/Toughness = 3DR Everything
[10] Racial Extra Limbs (legs-striker)
[30] Racial Striker-Arms, Right-Imp/cut
[-10] Size : Gigantism
[-10] Racial Paranoia
[-5] Intolerance - Inefficient Individuality
[-15] Duty - Fulfill Designated Purpose to the Hegemony
[-10] Bad Reputation

What would be the difference between the two core breeds... Tizik-tik, and the more barbaric Hal-tik? Or is there any difference?
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Ok.. how's this Arioch?
Well, like I said, I don't have access to my books, so I can't check things or suggest alternatives.

DR3 sounds right for an external carapace.
sunphoenix wrote:What would be the difference between the two core breeds... Tizik-tik, and the more barbaric Hal-tik? Or is there any difference?
The list I posted would be core attributes of a baseline "modern" Umiak; to describe the various breeds or go back in time to the various ancestor species would entail significant modifications.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ah..ok.. likely most of those ancestor species are not around anymore to be of any appreciable significance.

Cool thx.

Oh.. new question.. what is the usual standard ground trooper weapon a Umiak would be issued? I know that Umiak disdain standardization and manufacture from what is locally available in the worlds they control. But it would be nice to know if they prefer energy weapons over slug-throwers or flamers or needlers with neuro-toxin....
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

sunphoenix wrote:Oh.. new question.. what is the usual standard ground trooper weapon a Umiak would be issued? I know that Umiak disdain standardization and manufacture from what is locally available in the worlds they control. But it would be nice to know if they prefer energy weapons over slug-throwers or flamers or needlers with neuro-toxin....
I think most ground troops will favor slugthrowers as standard weapons, as they are simple, reliable and effective. But of course the Umiak will use a wide variety of weapons, including a variety of heavy mounts on the hardtroops.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Cool.. I have a heh... a fanfic in mind.. about the Umiak... nothing involving the Loroi but about one particularly 'efficient' Umiak trooper...

I know you roll your eyes at Fanfics.. but us fans with active imaginations can't help ourselves..

Yes..I'll be stating out the protagonist Hero Umiak in GURPS.. just collecting my data...
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Gah... my Umiak's name is too long to put in the Excel sheet cell....

KikiTik-173-ZiTik-TiTik-KiTiTiKik-Tizik-tik-IKuKHak-Tikiks

Guess I'll have to abbreviate {something no Umiak would do}...
Maybe... 173-ZiTik-Titik-Tizik-tik-Ikukhak-Tikks... will work?
I guess I could leave off the { Ikukhak-Tikks } the posit reference?

I guess a simple.. 173-ZiTik-TiTik-Tizik-tik would work.. but any listening Umiak would say I was being criminally intentionally vague... or possibly might think I have speech impediment.. maybe even be mentally retarded.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

sunphoenix wrote:Gah... my Umiak's name is too long to put in the Excel sheet cell....

I guess a simple.. 173-ZiTik-TiTik-Tizik-tik would work.. but any listening Umiak would say I was being criminally intentionally vague... or possibly might think I have speech impediment.. maybe even be mentally retarded.
(1) Ikkukhak*

(2) Make the cell wider. Or call him 173-ztkttktzktkiqxktqs. ;)

Arioch: To that end, how are umiak names formed?
Don't delay, join today!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Carl Miller wrote:
sunphoenix wrote:Gah... my Umiak's name is too long to put in the Excel sheet cell....

(1) Ikkukhak*

(2) Make the cell wider. Or call him 173-ztkttktzktkiqxktqs. ;)

Arioch: To that end, how are umiak names formed?
Well I might be wrong about this but from what I can tell.. the first part of the Umiak's stack language makes the KikiTik that starts all their names mean 'We', his personal name is 173-ZiTik. But their language would find that insufficient.. the rest of it TiTik-KiTiTiKik-Tizik-tik-IKuKHak-Tikiks.. means~ '{of the} Species - Tiziktik - Umiak {posit reference}'

So his full name should be~ KikiTik-173-ZiTik-TiTik-KiTiTiKik-Tizik-tik-IKuKHak-Tikiks

..if I'm getting it right.

Though I think I may be off a bit as the Umiak commander in ch1 his name was...
KikiTik-27-Tikhak-Tikkukit.

So I think I'm getting something wrong. Its possible that Tikkukit is his job profession?

My character's profession I'm calling~ Investigative Accountant Arms Martial...

Meaning to us humans.. he is an account ant that is sent to places where Umiak resources are being spent or expended over and above expected or projected costs. His team of accounts are deployed to the locale to find out why there are resource overruns and rectify the situation to more efficient cost/use of Hegemony Resources. He is also a 'soft-trooper' cause field analysis and investigation sometimes means danger and greater than Umiak confortable gravity.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Carl Miller wrote:To that end, how are umiak names formed?
Adult Umiak usually have names consisting of an identifier (often having to do with profession) followed by what is essentially a serial number. An example might be something like "Porter-7-107-1126" (kitik-tikkut-tikikik-tikikitikitik-tikitititikikititikikit).

An Umiak may also have one or more aliases, which can work like nicknames, titles, or code names. This name can be descriptive, fanciful, or deliberately obtuse. The name that the Umiak commander gave (kikitik-tititikikitikik-tikhak-tikkukit) was certainly an alias, rather than its real name. (The first part of the name is ambiguous -- kikitik can mean "we", or the number 13 -- but the second part means "group-leaver"; hence the Loroi intelligence code name of "The Stray".)
sunphoenix wrote:Well I might be wrong about this but from what I can tell.. the first part of the Umiak's stack language makes the KikiTik that starts all their names mean 'We', his personal name is 173-ZiTik. But their language would find that insufficient.. the rest of it TiTik-KiTiTiKik-Tizik-tik-IKuKHak-Tikiks.. means~ '{of the} Species - Tiziktik - Umiak {posit reference}'
The sample phrase "We (of the) species Hal-Tik Umiak posit" is not a name, and names do not normally start with "we". It's just a coincidence that this phrase and the commander's alias both begin with kikitik.

The phrase titik-kititikik-hal-tik-ikkukhak is the name of the modern Umiak species, not a particular subspecies, despite the fact that "hal-tik" is part of the word. The modern Umiak species descended from the Hal-tik subspecies which doesn't really exist anymore. It's true that modern Umiak have some genetic material from Tizik-tik, Kikkut and other completely artificial sources, but the Tizik-tik are still remembered with fear and hatred; it's very unlikely that any modern Umiak would claim to be of Tizik-tik descent or use that element in its name... unless it was being darkly ironic.

If you want a shorter name, you can abbreviate the full name (such as "Porter-7" in the above example), or invent an alias.

Sorry if this is arcane and confusing, but that's kind of intentional... the Umiak aren't meant to be protagonists. :D

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Arioch wrote: Sorry if this is arcane and confusing, but that's kind of intentional... the Umiak aren't meant to be protagonists. :D
I know.. its why writing a fanfic about a Umiak protagonist.. intrigues me so much! :)

But GURPS is being difficult... a 'soft-trooper' should not have to have all his limbs removed just to get bionic enhanced strength.. but that's all the system provides for. So I'm going with the TL10 Exoskeleton suit.. that is just permanently implanted to his Carapace. Plus, GURPS Bionic Dermal Armor is skinweave effectively.. not proper dermal plating. so I'm just using Biphase-Carbide plates [PD4 / DR 50] for the added armor.. the Umiak DR3 is not enough versus modern weaponry. Rounding it out with a replacement of two of his 7 eyes with Bionic enhanced to the max cyber-optics, a Multiscanner implant, and the Advanced Communication Implant..should cover it. There is no implanted vacc-suit option.. but the rules allow you to implant any weapon/device under 5 lbs.. and the TL10 Skinsuit is 3 pounds so I'm using that as the 'Vacc Seal'.. only 10 minutes of O2 but he could attach longer duration tanks... since effectively with Bionic Reconstruction/TL9 an O2 port could be installed in his dermal plating. Whole package adds about 60 pound to the Umiak.. for a total of about 346lbs... that seems a little light to me but meh.

I think he's too 'soft' for any implanting weaponry... after all he IS just an Accountant {snicker}!

Thanks of the Info on names... but really... didn't the barbaric and violent Hal-tik wipe out the scholarly and peaceful Tizik-tik? Why would they be afraid of them?!? Or is that just 'victors writing the history'?
Last edited by sunphoenix on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Well here 'It' is... now all I need to do is organize my story.. this will take a while to do it correctly. This is not going to be funny or in a comedic theme... save perhaps incidentally. It will be my attempt to write a tale from an Umiak's point of view.. and show.. there are few 'true' monsters.. just points of view, choices and consequences. I'm hoping I get the Umiak Culture correct, not trying to put a 'positive spin' on them but also not trying to 'paint them the devil' either.

Accountant-173-77 "That Obnoxious Tizik-tik" GURPS:
SpoilerShow
Last edited by sunphoenix on Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

sunphoenix wrote:Well here 'It' is... now all I need to do is organize my story.. this will take a while to do it correctly. This is not going to be funny or in a comedic theme... save perhaps incidentally. It will be my attempt to write a tale from an Umiak's point of view.. and show.. there are few 'true' monsters.. just points of view, choices and consequences. I'm hoping I get the Umiak Culture correct, not trying to put a 'positive spin' on them but also not trying to 'paint them the devil' either.

Accountant-173-77 "That Obnoxious Tizik-tik" GURPS:
SpoilerShow
Well, cool, but font size... :?

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

If you have a smartphone.... looking at the sheet you can drag ~ blow up the image.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Tamri

Post by Tamri »

sunphoenix wrote:If you have a smartphone.... looking at the sheet you can drag ~ blow up the image.
I know, but I look with the computer. However, can save the image, and then see in the same IrfanView. The problem is that without the dancing with a tambourine to read it uncomfortable.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I'll see what I can do to clear it up a bit...there is just a lot of data.. that won't fit on the sheet if the fonts too big.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

ShadowDragon8685

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

sunphoenix wrote:I'll see what I can do to clear it up a bit...there is just a lot of data.. that won't fit on the sheet if the fonts too big.
If you send me the sheet, I'll do what Arioch did and stitch it together from two screenshots into one larger image.