[RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

TheUnforsaken

Re: [RP] Operation: Deep Strike (OOC)

Post by TheUnforsaken »

sunphoenix wrote:@ Unforsaken: Perhaps... but they would not have stopped burning fuel if it was not an issue. Thier maneuvering shows their drives are crippled in some fashion... Kam is willing to make the attempt at the very least to avoid them. If all they intend to do is ghost us... well they can 'ghost' us while we render aid to our allies. At least that is Kam's idea.

Plus, the only reason Kam can figure to match velocities is 1) An easy target solution, or 2) A boarding action... which Kam has no mind to make easy for them.

Once the Captain's on-bridge she can counter his directives if she sees fit... but Kam is military and thinks military... he's not going to roll over and play dead for any enemy - out-gunned or not. Better to die in battle than be captured for ...worse fates.
Hmm, I hadn't considered some of that. Though I'm sure icekatze would say if we were in range of their weaponry.

Donna, I can assure you, has no intention of going down without a fight either, but I'm also certain that the crew and DeSoto can get out of this situation without a fight if they play their cards right. What they need most is time, it would be unfortunate to incite a reaction of some sort, but I guess doing nothing about the gunboat's actions could do that just as much as jinking around might ;)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Well barring them outmaneuvering us with half their drives, ramming us, or opening fire with weapons... they are going to have to do more than 'ghost' the DeSoto as long as Kam is calling the shots cause he is not going to be intimidated simply by their presence from setting as direct and aggressive a course to assist the PURE WIND and our Loroi allies.

Its that 'chivalrous' streak in him to 1) Never leave a man behind or abandon an ally and 2) The Loroi crew are all women... though it may seem silly he feels the need to protect them... call him 'old-fashioned' if you must.

Though Kam is not very fond of Captain Red Salt for putting us in this situation by effectively 'abandoning' the DeSoto and rushing ahead into the system, unsupported! If we would have been together we might have defeated the gunboat with our combined firepower and willy piloting!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

Another fine example why the Loroi are their own worst enemy. This is turning out to be a very exciting scenario!

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

icekatze wrote:Also, you should be able to recover some of the remote probes you launched, since only a couple of them were destroyed taking out torpedos.
well shouldn't they follow their programming? that is to ram the gunboat?

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Karst45 wrote:
icekatze wrote:Also, you should be able to recover some of the remote probes you launched, since only a couple of them were destroyed taking out torpedos.
well shouldn't they follow their programming? that is to ram the gunboat?
They may not have had the thrust to hit it and then they would have been past with little hope of intercepting it again...hopefully they were told to return to DeSoto, if possible, which should allow a couple to be recovered.

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix wrote:Kam asks, "Tactical Officer, given the flight characteristics of our shuttle on a full load of fuel - at a 60% burn of the shuttle's total available fuel, how close do we need to get for the shuttle to be able to reach the 'Pure Wind'?" [/color]
Am not an expert but Earl is. He know all the answer to those question as one of the shuttle is HIS shuttle. So this part should be answered by him.

i dont have the characteristic of the said shuttle and dont want to create a monster out of it. ill leave icekatze to answer those question the put my personal touche. You can see the description of what in the shuttle on my character bio (first page of this thread)

As for the 2 other. They are only drop ship that can hold 4 person. the description given by "icekatze" was that they were working similar to lunar lander, just more advanced.

So the only viable option is Earl shuttle.
sunphoenix wrote: Kam ponders outloud, "If the DeSoto proves a bigger target... perhaps the gunboat will pay more attention to it? A good pilot could avoid the token attacks made on the shuttle. Their previous engagement showed the gunboat Cptn directs his efforts against the biggest threat first..."
Referring to the previous quote: NO ONE TOUCHE MY SHUTTLE!!!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Ulp! Ok. Thats all my mistake... I didn't know as characters... we could own a small spacecraft and bring it along... or Kam would soooo have done that! :) [Think Cowboy BeBop - Spike's 'Swordfish' spacefighter]

But that's water under the bridge. I did not read the drop shuttle's description close enough... my bad. I though the 'shuttle' on the DeSoto was a full shuttle... not just minimal drop ships. Kam would NEVER make plans assuming the use of someone else's property... especially not Cowboy's shuttle... he respects him waaay too much for that!

So I'm going to modify my post to only make plans for use of the Drop shuttles... they can still operate in space he just needs to make the 'rescue' team bare essentials and small, like 4 men small.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix wrote: [Think Cowboy BeBop - Spike's 'Swordfish' spacefighter]
were ya think my inspiration come from :)
sunphoenix wrote: So I'm going to modify my post to only make plans for use of the Drop shuttles... they can still operate in space he just needs to make the 'rescue' team bare essentials and small, like 4 men small.
Well make your plan but i wouldnt mind going on a shuttle run, see what that baby have under the "hood" so to speak. But as i said, i dont know the specifict of said shuttle.

And am also assuming that Ice did read my bio and indeed approved of the said shuttle. It would be only logic to assume that i would bring the shuttle i spend so long to rebuild. That and i barely asked anything (as pay) other than food/drink, bed, and the said shuttle.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Well Karst... have 'Cowboy' offer to do so... Kam is just not going to 'volunteer' someone else for a dangerous mission using their property. Kam is willing to take more risks with his own life. :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix wrote:Well Karst... have 'Cowboy' offer to do so... Kam is just not going to 'volunteer' someone else for a dangerous mission using their property. Kam is willing to take more risks with his own life. :)

well when he see that you "drop pod" plan dont make sense surely i will come up with something. but yet again. i need to confirm the capacity of the said shuttle.

if it accelerate slower than the DeSoto right now it kind of useless.

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I read Cowboy's bio, but I never saw anything in there about him bringing that particular shuttle along with him. I read it as he just wanted A shuttle. I'm fine with Cowboy adopting one of the drop shuttles as his own, and it makes sense that the rest of the crew would respect that sense of possession. I'm seeing this in a similar way that some pilots paint logos and things on the nose of their airplanes today, even if they're technically owned by the government.

As for whether or not the shuttles can reach the Pure Wind. Their fuel tanks are very small, maybe only a few hundred kilograms. They're optimized for payload capacity rather than fuel capacity, and intended for use in an orbital theater. However, if you could find some way to strap on a bigger fuel tank (about 200 times the size of the current one) you should have no problem reaching the Pure Wind... Perhaps there's some materials on the DeSoto that could be re-purposed for the task?

Also, if you removed the surveying gear, you might be able to fit more people in the shuttle too.

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

well what ever fit you, you call the shot here.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Can whoever does a post set in the bridge next add that Ptak arrives? I'd do it myself but she has nothing more to add until we see how the gunboat reacts.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I'm planning on doing so...but I'm waiting on Icekatse to 'complete' her post before I react to anything.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Is Cowboy still on the bridge?

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Yep he's at the helm.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

i tough you were at the helm....

Then if am not at the helm, and your not at the helm.... who is piloting?

**WARNING COLLISION ALERT**

but yes, am doing the boring job of aiming this thing strait to the Pure Wind

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Nope. I've been at the 'Captains' chair ever since Captain Ptak left the bridge.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Ok...what Donna needs to find out is what the various groups (Engineering, DC, the team working on the shuttle) are doing and how long they think it will all take.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

Karst45

Post by Karst45 »

sunphoenix

you actually know am at the helm. so far i haven been replaced, just modify you post to reflect that, say something about me going to the flight deck to "modify" the shuttle.