WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Aygar

Re: WIP Discussion (Part 1!)

Post by Aygar »

captainsmirk wrote:Well there is an area labelled as a vestibule which although a fairly ambiguous term one of its possible meanings is a toilet.

It also fits with the kind of language the Loroi use so sounds like the kind of word they would use to refer to the heads.

As for the lack of berths people manage to sleep in airline seats (not generally for several days at time admittedly)...

Nick
The vestibules look like they are half height rooms so crawling would be the only means of access. Using a toilet with that kind of height restriction would be very uncomfortable.

As a VIP transport that has a multi day endurance I would also expect to find some sort of bathing area, a modestly equipped galley, and separate sleeping accommodations.

So my guess would be that the vestibules contain the sleeping areas(think Japanese capsule hotels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel).
--Aygar

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Aygar wrote:The vestibules look like they are half height rooms so crawling would be the only means of access. Using a toilet with that kind of height restriction would be very uncomfortable.
To me they look like normal height, but are half a level below the main deck.
sapere aude.

Aygar

Post by Aygar »

Trantor wrote:
Aygar wrote:The vestibules look like they are half height rooms so crawling would be the only means of access. Using a toilet with that kind of height restriction would be very uncomfortable.
To me they look like normal height, but are half a level below the main deck.
I see what your talking about. I was thinking that the crawl space extended under the vestibules as well as under the main cabin.
--Aygar

VictorValor

Post by VictorValor »

Where is the restroom on the ship?

Is it in the vestibule? If so, was it placed there because of lack of space, or is vestibule some naval euphemism for latrine?

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

VictorValor wrote:Where is the restroom on the ship?
In the head. :mrgreen:

Count Casimir

Post by Count Casimir »

Just pee out the airlock like a real man.

Or blue space lady. Or whatever.
Ashrain is best rain.

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Count Casimir wrote:Just pee out the airlock like a real man.

What would fail first? Soft Tissue, or the ejected Fluids freezing.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Charlie wrote:
Count Casimir wrote:Just pee out the airlock like a real man.

What would fail first? Soft Tissue, or the ejected Fluids freezing.
Well I don't think Loroi females are that cold .. I mean yes they are cooler to the touch than humans their body temperature being on average lower... but certainly not cold enough to freeze {ahem}... ejaculated fluids.

Likely her human male partner's endurance would fail first considering Loroi efficiency in their internal organs and respiratory oxygen transfer muscle acid production during {ahem} physical exertions... like intimate contact.

Yes... "Take it too far man - STRIKES AGAIN!!" :twisted:
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Well, I meant the inherent problem of trying to a find a tree in space.

But, since there are implications involved, poking anything would decidedly be chillier. There may be shrinkage in certain vital areas.
Last edited by Charlie on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

LOL.

But to answer your question...
At Zero pressure..as in vacuum... "Boyles-law" is not your friend. Fist at 0 pressure you 98.6 body temperature is Waaay higher than the specific temperature to boil water.. so first all the liquid water in our body..{yes urine too} would begin to boil putting air bubble in your bloodstream.. you would likely have a stroke from this agitation as the blood vessels in your brain ruptured. As your body is nominally under 15PSI... all the gasses in your body in the 0 pressure of vacuum would immediately expand increasing the systemic trauma to your body. You would indeed 'vent' liquid from every orifice of your body {perhaps even the pores of your skin} which in the cold of space would freeze not exactly instantly but it would shed it 98.6 F temperature pretty quickly. You would very short freeze rapidly as your heat was rapidly radiated in to space. The thermal trauma shock would likely kill you before lack of air did. Then you are exposed to radiation of which space of FULL of...though cancer would not be your concern at that point cause you would dead long before that.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Colourful description yes, but in reality no. Your blood won't boil, you're forgetting that your circulatory system, and other systems such as the lymph are totally contained, and isn't exposed to the vacuum. It remains subjected to your bodies internal pressure, also of note is you wouldn't explode, or expand dangerously because your connective tissues, and mainly skin are easily strong enough to counter such forces. As to freezing, well sadly no either. Space is cold at about 2.7 kelvin, and your body is hot at 310 kelvin (37 degrees), so you certainly have an aggressive gradient. But again you're ignoring the basics of thermal conduction (which is the vast majority of heat loss, infrared is a component but not large enough for you to radiate out any-where near quickly enough), to lose heat you need something to lose that heat to, and as there are no molecules (ie air) in a vacuum (relatively), you don't freeze. The same principle is used in thermos flasks, or perhaps more fittingly their technical name, vacuum flasks.

So what would happen? Well all the air currently in your lungs would be pulled out really fast by the vacuum, no matter how hard you tried to hold your breath. Also your intestines get the same treatment, so it's going to get messy. You will probably black out 15 seconds later as you start to run out of oxygen in your blood, and enter acute hypoxia. All the capillaries at the surface of your skin would break also (like being slapped), especially the ones in your eyes. All your sweat, saliva, and the water on your eyes would begin to boil. After you pass out you'll just suffocate.

This has in fact happened, it happened to NASA's Jim LeBlanc at the Johnson Space Centre in 1965 while in a vacuum chamber. He passed out after 14 seconds, but ultimately survived the incident.
“As I stumbled backwards, I could feel the saliva on my tongue starting to bubble just before I went unconscious and that’s the last thing I remember,”
Last edited by Smithy on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trantor

Post by Trantor »

Smithy wrote:So what would happen? Well all the air currently in your lungs would be pulled out really fast by the vacuum, no matter how hard you tried to hold your breath. Also your intestines get the same treatment, so it's going to get messy. You will probably black out 15 seconds later as you start to run out of oxygen in your blood, and enter acute hypoxia. All the capillaries at the surface of your skin would break also (like being slapped), especially the ones in your eyes. All your sweat, saliva, and the water on your eyes would begin to boil. After you pass out you'll just suffocate.

This has in fact happened, it happened to NASA's Jim LeBlanc at the Johnson Space Centre in 1965 while in a vacuum chamber. He passed out after 14 seconds, but ultimately survived the incident.
“As I stumbled backwards, I could feel the saliva on my tongue starting to bubble just before I went unconscious and that’s the last thing I remember,”
I remember that discussion coming up after seeing the movie "2001" back then in school, that particular scene where HAL locked out Bowman, and he then entered with using the airlock in a creative way.
All sheeples bloked that this is impossible, only our physics and biology teacher then argued that there is a (small) chance to survive something like that.

But i never heard of that NASA incident. Thanks for sharing!
sapere aude.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Also, I recall hearing that the US government did experiments exposing chimpanzees to hard vacuum, and the subjects survived.

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Pulled directly from http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 70603.html
SpoilerShow
At NASA's Manned Spacecraft Center (now renamed Johnson Space Center) we had a test subject accidentally exposed to a near vacuum (less than 1 psi) in an incident involving a leaking space suit in a vacuum chamber back in '65. He remained conscious for about 14 seconds, which is about the time it takes for O2 deprived blood to go from the lungs to the brain. The suit probably did not reach a hard vacuum, and we began repressurizing the chamber within 15 seconds. The subject regained consciousness at around 15,000 feet equivalent altitude. The subject later reported that he could feel and hear the air leaking out, and his last conscious memory was of the water on his tongue beginning to boil.
Here`s a fairly decent source
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... rm-damage/

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Funfact: Teigo Enzin — the "First Guard", that is, the Emperor's personal squadron — is also Japanese for "the Emperor's followers" (帝後縁人 Teigoenjin). :3
Don't delay, join today!

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

CJ Miller wrote:Funfact: Teigo Enzin — the "First Guard", that is, the Emperor's personal squadron — is also Japanese for "the Emperor's followers" (帝後縁人 Teigoenjin). :3
Now we only need "the black ships" to counter them! :lol:

Jericho

Post by Jericho »

:D Oh new picture looks serious (squeals).
If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through. General C.H Melchett commander of some unknown british regiment in the western front.

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Oh. She looks serious. She is either giving a order to behave, request something or stating obvious. Perhaps all of them.

"This may be our last change to have sex together."
Supporter of forum RPG

fredgiblet

Post by fredgiblet »

Definitely doesn't look happy, but we'll need to see the next step before we can be sure.

Ktrain

Post by Ktrain »

What is this heresy? PROOF THAT ARIOCH STILL LIVES?
OUTSIDER UPDATE => HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED?