[RP] Incursion (OOC)

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

sunphoenix

Re: [RP] Incursion (OOC)

Post by sunphoenix »

@ Gudo: You are 'assuming' they all survive...
NPC's serve two purposes... 1) A foil for the players to RP with and show the depth of their character's personalities, or 2) to be the 'red-shirt' that gets 'wacked' so the GM can show what the bad guys are and how they can operate... effectively showing the threat they represent without having to ace a PC every time he needs to do so.

I never expected all of the NPC's I've introduced to survive... it seemed to me the Gritty world that TheUnforsaken was crafting needed a few 'spare' targets so we don't take the brunt of the tragic ends possible.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

So, we've now got three 'groups'. Gudo, sunphoenix and the 'cannon fodder' in one and Bunnyboy's and Fusebox's characters on their own. That seems good; it looks like the sandbox period can deal mostly with getting them all together and getting out of the water plant.

Does that seem good to you guys?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Yes. Maybe better if I meet the Fusebox on the run first. It wouldn't be very safe hiding place, if we could walk in anytime.
Supporter of forum RPG

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

Well, with Moira being six, and "Being adorable" is not a skill, the only possible skills/attributes/powers I could give her would really make her Alma, and awesome that may be, unless that's something you're all for I'd like to avoid creating such a character.

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

Fusebox wrote:Well, with Moira being six, and "Being adorable" is not a skill, the only possible skills/attributes/powers I could give her would really make her Alma, and awesome that may be, unless that's something you're all for I'd like to avoid creating such a character.
Give her 30pts worth of Unknown Power! Or better yet, load her up with 30 points of gear! Did you know that Moira has both a Hell Lance in her bonnet?

Anyways though, I think you and Bunnyboy should RP your groups together before Sun and I post some more. It'd get pretty weird swapping back and forth between three player groups.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

So the plan is to have Fusebox and Bunnyboy join up before they run into the water plant group. Yes?

@Bunnyboy/Fusebox, Do you want me to set up your characters meeting or are you happy to work something out between yourselves or maybe all three of us can work it out? I really don't mind, for the moment you've got a pretty free rein.

[A] book need never die and should not be killed; books [are] the immortal part of man. - Robert A. Heinlein

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Better to get game going, before it is forgotten. And I don't mind, if something happen to my character, because it makes things interesting..
Supporter of forum RPG

Fusebox

Post by Fusebox »

If you don't mind setting up the encounter that'd be fabulous.

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Ok, I'll get on it.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Where is Gudo? He away on vacation? No recent posts or response to my last post...
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Hmm...dunno, and his Last Visited statistic comes up as a dash, which is rather unhelpful. Maybe he's been cut off from the internet or something, I'm sure he'll turn up at some point.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

So I guess I'm... "Waiting for Godot." LOLS!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

I think we are ready test the combat rules.
How we do those?
Supporter of forum RPG

Gudo

Post by Gudo »

sunphoenix wrote:Where is Gudo? He away on vacation? No recent posts or response to my last post...
I'm still here :O If you're wondering why I didn't respond to your last IC post, it was because Fuse beat me to it, and I didn't want the scene to keep swapping between three locations. Unless you're talking about an OOC post I missed.
TheUnforsaken wrote:Hmm...dunno, and his Last Visited statistic comes up as a dash, which is rather unhelpful.
The hell? That's a bit weird...

Paragon

Post by Paragon »

Is it too late to join the game?
"Optical computers, genetic catalogs, nanorepair modules--forget all of that. It's when you see a megaton of steel suspended over your head by a thread the thickness of a human hair that you really find God in technology."

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Combat for BESM...

Initiative is your ACV with the attack type you are using plus a 2d6 dice roll. Plus and levels of the Combat Technique [Lighting Reflexes]. Highest goes first.

Basically... You ACV {Attack Combat Value} + and 2d6 dice roll versus the opponent's DCV {Defensive combat value } + 2d6 dice roll. Ties go to winner.

On a successful hit take the Weapon level and multiply by the Damage multiplier plus and levels of massive damage for the appropriate weapon or combat type. Then add the ACV with the weapon you are using. The total is the damage inflicted. Most characters will only have a Base Damage multiplier of 5, unless they have super-strength or levels of massive damage with an attack form.

The defender reduces this damage by the protection AR of their armor. The remainder is subtracted from their Health points.

Damage that penetrates armor or force field and inflict more health damage than the target's shock value can stun the target. When damage taken exceeds a character's shock value they must succeed a SOUL check Target Number [TN#] 12; if they fail they are stunned for a number actions equal to the margin of failure of the SOUL check. If the damage taken is double their shock value they must succeed a SOUL check Target Number [TN#] 18; if they fail they are knocked unconscious for a number of minutes equal to the margin of failure of the SOUL check.

In combat characters may only take one attack action unless they have the extra actions attribute {which is VERY expensive}, but characters can make any number of defensive actions... but each on after the first is increasingly more difficulty, 2 {-1}, 3 {-3}, 4 {-6}, 5 {-12}, etc...; unless they have the Extra defenses attribute {not nearly as expensive but not cheap either}.

How that is not too confusing... those are the basics.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Paragon wrote:Is it too late to join the game?
Absolutely not! We are using the BESM game system for the character gen.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Paragon

Post by Paragon »

Does anybody know if it's available for cheap in .pdf format or something? I don't have any real experience with this system.

Edit: Or I suppose I could post a character description and someone could translate that into a character sheet for me?
Last edited by Paragon on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Optical computers, genetic catalogs, nanorepair modules--forget all of that. It's when you see a megaton of steel suspended over your head by a thread the thickness of a human hair that you really find God in technology."

TheUnforsaken

Post by TheUnforsaken »

Gudo wrote: I'm still here :O If you're wondering why I didn't respond to your last IC post, it was because Fuse beat me to it, and I didn't want the scene to keep swapping between three locations. Unless you're talking about an OOC post I missed.
Good to have you back, as it were :) And you haven't missed anything that I can tell.
Paragon wrote:Is it too late to join the game?
Not at all :)
bunnyboy wrote:I think we are ready test the combat rules.
How we do those?
Well, the way I see it working (which may not, in fact, work) is to have three ways of describing combat:

First is to do it yourself, this would be mostly against basic enemies, as long as you keep it reasonable (no Rambo-esque moments if you can help it, please ;) ) I'll be fine with that.

Second is to let me do it, simply describe what you intend to do and I'll take it from there, this would probably be necessary if you get outnumbered or encounter a minor enemy NPC (as opposed to enemy 'redshirts').

And third is all-out roll-play where you describe what your character does in small time segements and roll attacks and damage etc. This last would mostly be for if you manage to get really outnumbered or encounter a major enemy NPC (Read: Boss :twisted: ).

The way I intend to write story posts (like yesterday's) is to leave off at a sort of 'decision point' for the characters where I let the player make the choice and move on from there. If you are going to make a post that covers a lot of distance/activity/time just check with me first to make sure you don't run ahead of a planned event.

Edit: (because getting ninja'd by sunphoenix is apparently my lot in life :lol: )
sunphoenix wrote:Combat for BESM...

Initiative is your ACV with the attack type you are using plus a 2d6 dice roll. Plus and levels of the Combat Technique [Lighting Reflexes]. Highest goes first.

Basically... You ACV {Attack Combat Value} + and 2d6 dice roll versus the opponent's DCV {Defensive combat value } + 2d6 dice roll. Ties go to winner.

On a successful hit take the Weapon level and multiply by the Damage multiplier plus and levels of massive damage for the appropriate weapon or combat type. Then add the ACV with the weapon you are using. The total is the damage inflicted. Most characters will only have a Base Damage multiplier of 5, unless they have super-strength or levels of massive damage with an attack form.

The defender reduces this damage by the protection AR of their armor. The remainder is subtracted from their Health points.

Damage that penetrates armor or force field and inflict more health damage than the target's shock value can stun the target. When damage taken exceeds a character's shock value they must succeed a SOUL check Target Number [TN#] 12; if they fail they are stunned for a number actions equal to the margin of failure of the SOUL check. If the damage taken is double their shock value they must succeed a SOUL check Target Number [TN#] 18; if they fail they are knocked unconscious for a number of minutes equal to the margin of failure of the SOUL check.

In combat characters may only take one attack action unless they have the extra actions attribute {which is VERY expensive}, but characters can make any number of defensive actions... but each on after the first is increasingly more difficulty, 2 {-1}, 3 {-3}, 4 {-6}, 5 {-12}, etc...; unless they have the Extra defenses attribute {not nearly as expensive but not cheap either}.

How that is not too confusing... those are the basics.
This would cover the third option described above...unless you really want to do that for every opponent you encounter. I don't mind, but it'll slow things down a little.

Oops. - Shannon Foraker

Incursion RPG
IC Thread
OOC Thread
Character List

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Paragon wrote:Does anybody know if it's available for cheap in .pdf format or something? I don't have any real experience with this system.

Edit: Or I suppose I could post a character description and someone could translate that into a character sheet for me?
If you give me a E-mail address {it need not be your main one...a yahoo or g-mail throw away address will work as well}... I can zip and e-mail a copy of the PDF to you for free.

Oh and Theunforsaken... {"Neannn!"} :)
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke