Page 219

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Mayhem

Page 219

Post by Mayhem »

Zero Gravity at junctions is interesting.
Particle beam cannons are mass drivers :D
Fireblade's character sheet: '-1: Telepathically "talks" in sleep' 8-)

CaptainChaos

Re: Page 219

Post by CaptainChaos »

yahoo! Thanks Arioch!

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Resist Not the Beryl ~ Yeet!

Thanks Arioch!
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

So, no resistance yet.

Air or otherwise.

GeoModder

Post by GeoModder »

A... new page? 🧐
From the narration, it sounds like the Umiak have the habit of designing their starships' interiors like a warren.
And the posture of those dead crew Umiak really looks good.

DevilDalek

Post by DevilDalek »

GeoModder wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:17 pm
A... new page? 🧐
From the narration, it sounds like the Umiak have the habit of designing their starships' interiors like a warren.
Or a hive!

Yes! New page!
I'm gonna go get the fireworks and get started on prepping the feast!

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

Nice to see that they actually do trust Alex. At least, trust him enough to leave their backs to him.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

So is the ship laid down like an ant hill/bee hive structure and they love to just climb and crawl about the ship.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

"Nice to see that they actually do trust Alex. At least, trust him enough to leave their backs to him."

This actually isn't very smart, since he didn't train with them, and they really no idea how good or bad he might be at this, but yes it is a strong sign of trust.

But remember what the historian avatar said.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Demarquis wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:10 pm
"Nice to see that they actually do trust Alex. At least, trust him enough to leave their backs to him."

This actually isn't very smart, since he didn't train with them, and they really no idea how good or bad he might be at this, but yes it is a strong sign of trust.
Well, even if Beryl were the distrustful sort, she needs to lead the way, since Alex doesn't know where they're going. And even if he were not a male, and triggering her protective instincts, I don't think she'd want him blocking her shot against any random enemy that might appear.

As she said earlier, the Loroi don't have enough people to spare guarding him. (Talon there in front is heading to a different destination; Beryl and Alex are about to be alone.)

Werra

Post by Werra »

I like the new backgrounds. The characters feel a more natural part of the world now. Is it an effect or did you draw the backgrounds by hand?

There are even small details in the background like that security camera in bottom left panel. Some Umiak analyst trying to find out how the hell the Loroi managed to sneak on board a ship will be very surpised once he zooms in on the faces.

Bamax

Post by Bamax »

Werra wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:55 am
I like the new backgrounds. The characters feel a more natural part of the world now. Is it an effect or did you draw the backgrounds by hand?

There are even small details in the background like that security camera in bottom left panel. Some Umiak analyst trying to find out how the hell the Loroi managed to sneak on board a ship will be very surpised once he zooms in on the faces.
Unlikely unless they radio WIFI that to the fleet.The Loroi intend to steal the ship and that likely involves hyperjumping away.... since flying off from the fleet solo would definitely garner fleet attention.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Werra wrote:
They're a combination of 3D elements and hand-painting.

CrimsonFALKE

Post by CrimsonFALKE »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:06 am
Werra wrote:
Did violent decompression kill those two umaki? If so is their exoskeleton that durable?

elorran

Post by elorran »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:34 am
Arioch wrote:
Werra wrote:
Did violent decompression kill those two umaki? If so is their exoskeleton that durable?
Both decompression and a certain red head seeing red ;)

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
As I understand it, animals will lose consciousness and die from lack of oxygen long before they succumb to other effects of low pressure (like ruptured wet membranes and gas coming out of solution to form bubbles in bodily fluids, or eventually such fluids boiling off), so I don't think it matters whether the decompression is rapid. As far as I'm aware, macroscopic organisms don't explode in low pressure, nor do their organs or body structures. One might think that a sealed organ like an eyeball would explode in vacuum, but apparently not -- there have been many tests of primates (including some humans, I believe) exposed to vacuum who later made a full recovery, without their eyes or organs exploding. I've also seen tests of insects in vacuum chambers (see one below), and aside from losing consciousness from lack of oxygen, they seemed otherwise unaffected by the lack of pressure.

(The spider in particular just did not give an f.)

Sweforce

Post by Sweforce »

CrimsonFALKE wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Werra wrote:
Violent decompression is a myth. I do not know how strong air pressure the Umiak have on the ships but the difference between here on the ground and out there in the vacuum of space it is 1 atmosphere. We regularly experience a larger difference when diving. So yes, their shells should handle decompression just fine, there are no explosions. Even our skin should handle it without bursting, swelling yes but not burst. We are even expected to be able to momentarily survive the vacuum of space without a spacesuit. There is a scean depicting just in the mivie 2001, a Space Oddesy. The protagonist do indeed have his suit on but lack his helmet but still manage a short space walk.

https://youtu.be/t2jibvQfTK0

Regarding eyeballs: Eyeballs are exceptionally resilient. In school during a biology class we where given cow eyes to dissect. That was HARD to do, that eyeball resisted the scalpel a lot. On the other hand, I had eye surgery a few years back to replace one of my lenses with an artifical one. It was painful but I was fully awake during the operation. I suppose that skill and sharper scalpels help.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

I read up on it a little bit, and it appears that there is the possibility of the lungs rupturing during an extremely rapid decompression, particularly if the airway is somehow blocked, and that the damage to the lungs and pulmonary system could be fatal. But even in such a case, the animal doesn't "explode."

icekatze

Post by icekatze »

hi hi

I always did like that scene in Titan AE, where they go on the unsuited space walk, and right before the protagonist is told to "exhale." Nice little detail. And I gather that Umiak physiology is possibly even more delicate than humans'? At least, unmodified.

But yeah, explosive decompression doesn't mean the people explode, but the air escapes explosively. In some cases, the pressure shockwave is enough to cause damage like an explosion. Most decompression scenarios are not explosive though.

Moon Moth

Post by Moon Moth »

There was a scene in "Earthlight" by Clarke (1955) that sticks in my memory. A warship's crew evacuated to a passenger liner of the opposing side, despite not having enough spacesuits. Clarke wrote that the main danger from the brief exposure would be sunburn, so they did as much of it as possible in the shadow of one of the ships. I've wondered how accurate that was.