[RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Yiuel

Re: [RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

Post by Yiuel »

Bleh. I think that with a mind of 8, Softsapphire won't get much into the inanities Alex screamed out of frustration. She's a professional psychologist/biologist with touches of anthropology and some knowledge related to otherworlders. Her Listel mate might have been a little puzzled, but Softsapphire is on an entirely different level :P
la nɔtʀʏltsɪmœ ʀɛv, dɛ ʒã puʀ la pʀɔtɛʒe
nu vœnõ dõkœ dœ tupaʀtu, puʀ ɛtʀœ sa ɡʀãdaʀme
dœ la site pʀɔtɛktœʀ, dœ sœ ʀɛvœ defãsœʀ
ynjõ dœ la fɔʀsœ dœ tus, nu vwasijalɔʀ lɛzɔʀiɔnɪt

- The Chant of A Certain Army

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I´m really curious how this will be sorted out and what kind of move the loroi and human side will make. :)
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Apologies for the delay, work has kept me hopping for the past week.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Very nice post! But I think I'll be switching to play a human... too many Loroi.. the games unbalanced. We need more human interaction. I don't mind... was originally going to play human anyway.

{Navy} Lieut. Kamielle Lynn - pilot/helmsman. He could very well be the pilot for the shuttle.. but I'm not going to post anything for him until we resolve who is going to be playing what. I may delay posting for Kam until we get to the actual IC Game thread... after the Prelude is done.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Sorry to hear that sunphoenix, I happen to be a big Stormrage fan. She's the only Unsheathed that I am aware of and an important part of the Loroi's escape and survival.

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Given how much posting you do I don't see why you would be unable to pull off two characters. :D I for one think you could handle it.

Provided Suederwind gives the nod, then I certainly do want you as the shuttle pilot.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Yeah. I know. Its been fun to play her.. but we really need more human interaction and point of view.

Speaking of something that has not been addressed... Character Advancement.

Here is the Experience rules used by a Gamemaster for another PbP game I'm in. We are not using BESM, its a CTHULHUTECH game... but experience points are similar in that they directly affect your character's improvement. Though the costs in CTech are very different.

-----
Experience will be given out in three ways!

1 - Post count, this is something you have to take notice of your self and then give me a message about, every ten full posts is 1 xp.

2 - Milestones in the game - this range from 1-15 xp - and is handed out when you have achived an minor or important plotpoint in the story that is in a way related to your character. This is something I will reward when happens in blue text when you get it.

3 - Story award, this is from 10 - 30 xp depending on how the story went, you can never fail an adventure, the higher xp award is given out when you roleplay to the fullest and achieve something for the group whatever the outcome.

This will give you guys a regular flow of experience - and I feel it is not a low count either considering this is a pbp game.
-----

I would suggest we discuss this in full but it seems a good rule of thumb for slow advancement. Of course it can be modified should it prove too much or too little as the case may be.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Well, I wouldn't be too quick to judge the human side for lack of interaction. So far the Loroi have had to finish the fight, make a mad dash to the shuttle, then were all in a cramped location all together.

Meanwhile aboard the Cydonia we had a Marine standing on the bridge waiting for orders and with no authority to actually do anything on the Bridge, the First Officer speaking with the Captain/GM as they tried to figure out what the heck was happening, and Dragoon was standing at his post in the Armory. We may as well have all been in different rooms, and that's about to change as we get in our shuttle.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

@sunphoenix:
After thinking about that problem, I would have no problem if you want to play a human character. We talked a bit about Kam and if you want to play him, feel free to do so. On the other side, it would be a shame if you would drop your Stormrage character. Who should piss off Parat Twilightsaber, if no her? ;)

@VonWolffe:
Nice to read from you again! Luckily I was able to read and write some things in my breaks at work, but I am not sure if I can keep that up.

@all:
I will think about an XP System, but will not implement that right now, as I will need to check the BESM rules again on that subject. I hope thats not a problem.
We are indeed short on human characters, but VonWolffe has a point. There was not that much for the humans to do, as no one is playing a science or com officer, so Beliskner and I had to improvise things. That shuttle start took longer than I had expected, too.
As for the things to come: there will be one last combined loroi/human post from me (I´m working on that), after that the real thing starts. I have to admit, that this little prelude made a lot of fun to GM and I hope it was fun to play, so far, too.

Edit: I added a new NPC, as calling for the "com-guy" sounded a bit stupid to me...
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Beliskner

Post by Beliskner »

Arioch wrote: The Orgus had direct contact with the Umiak, so they knew a fair amount about them, including what they look like. The Orgus had no contact with the Loroi, and so all information about the Loroi was second-hand.
Conclusion for story: We can assume that once we see that humanoids from sensor footage are not humans(not pink skin but blue) we will automatically identify them as loroi...

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

That is a possibility. But you do not know if there are other humanoid races out there, that the Orgus did not meet before.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

junk

Post by junk »

Out of curiosity, is it still open for new potential characters? Just wondering.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

It is open for new players, but at the moment there are too many Loroi characters. So please create a Human character. You can send me a PM with your intended background, motto and motivation, if you are still interested and we will work out the rest together.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

junk

Post by junk »

Suederwind wrote:It is open for new players, but at the moment there are too many Loroi characters. So please create a Human character. You can send me a PM with your intended background, motto and motivation, if you are still interested and we will work out the rest together.
Oh was definitely more interested in a human.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hi everyone!
I´m sorry to say that I´am ill and I don´t think I will post something for the game tonight and maybe tomorrow, too.

Just one thing:
"A-2 package" is normalized list of equipment taken by soldiers when ordered. A-2 is standard assault equipment reinforced with 2 heavy weapons(mostly 1xflamethrower and 1xHMG)
They will propably not have a flamethrower... ;) Maybe they have some kind of heavy laser on a small tripod, that thing will be operated by two men.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Flame throwers are illegal under the terms of the Geneva convention, along with white phosphorous grenades and napalm it is consider an 'Inhumane' weapon in that it causes pain and suffering unproportinate with the purposes of a given conflict. If you are fighting the goal is to kill the other guy, these weapons are banned. Have you actually seen a flamethrower in use somewhere? On top of that in zero-g a flamethrower would only coat the user in propellant, and in vacuum it would not even ignite, and if used on your own vessel you would cause catastrophic damage to your own ship.

The marines were also already suited up and equipped as per my first post, and they had already prepped to take on survivors as per instructions before Wolffe even left the Cydonia.

Grayhome

Post by Grayhome »

GURPS Lists plasma flamers as one of the most likely weapons to be used in Ship to ship boarding parties. Also all, at TL 9-10 Terrans would have laser rifles and quite a few other things, such as cybernetic, genetic, and psionic enhancements. plz dont dumb down the Terrans too much :P

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

Suederwind and Beliskner, please read this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_officer

VonWolffe

Post by VonWolffe »

I would count on a grenade ten times out of ten during room clearing before I would stand in the open and fire a jet of plasma at the enemy before having my guys charge into the room I just set ablaze, molten metal and all. Taking away a weapon that we have not used for 60 years does not make us less effective at room clearing or boarding actions. It will take a statement from Arioch's himself to convince me that in this universe a flamethrower is a good idea, and even then I will know better.

Room clearing/ Boarding actions in practice;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5OctwulUiM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=rela ... veHO0QCdig

Yes they are sloppy because this is training, but the point is speed. Flamethrowers are counter to this principle. Just because the bad guys might have tentacles or beaks doesn't change the principles of CQB.

These guys are actually good at it;
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IeI6l2DxGa ... re=related
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i8zwsE_Tib ... re=related
Last edited by VonWolffe on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Sorry guys. I can't post during the day until about 5PM EST. I made a post this morning hastily and didn't have time to proof-read it. I made a typo on my post.. I meant 10 G's of acceleration. Originally we - the loroi, were on the other type of shuttle we have IT is capable of 12 Gs of thrust... I keep forgetting that. If I would have been at home today ... I likely would have realized my mistake and corrected it.

Just the limits of a PbP game ... if this would have been a sesssion of a sit down game I would have said, "I power up the drives to max 12 G and make my way toward the omni-directional signal we just recived..."

To which I'm sure the GM - Suederwind would likly have said, "You're pushing the engines to 120%?"

Which I would have immediately realized my mistake, "Oh.. uh no! Were on the slipper... rightttt... no just to it's max thrust 10 Gs! I don't want to be reckless..."

That would be out of character for Stormrage, she's bold and direct but not foolish... especially when no such 'frantic' chances need be taken with their ONLY ship!

I'll try to be more mindful of the details in the future... or just not post when I'm rushed!
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke