[RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

A spot for collections of Outsider-related original fan fiction and related works.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Charlie

Re: [RP]Cydonia Rising (OOC)

Post by Charlie »

sunphoenix wrote:Hey charlie... you did not include a description of Charles eye color! :)

also you might want to put a label [ Personal History, Family Members, Personality Profile... etc... ] over the various sections of your character sheet as the spoiler listing does not tell what each section holds. you have to open it all to find any specific data unless your lucky and open the right one eventually.
It`s brown, as you already seem to know.

Don`t you like my Escher inspired layout?
I'll fix it up.
No sorcery lies beyond my grasp. - Rubick, the Grand Magus

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Just to keep you updated: couldn´t finish the next story post, sorry for that. :oops: I hope to be able to post it tomorrow.
Forum RP: Cydonia Rising
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

bunnyboy

Post by bunnyboy »

Are Charlie and Stormrage talking casualty or giving long speeches to each other?

I do like, how they act funny with each other, but for clarity and avoiding the repeats, you could PM it with each other then compose the actual discussion.
Now I only wonder what sentence is followed by what.
Supporter of forum RPG

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

Yeah, that's one of the failings of PbP conversations...

It is a back an forth conversation.. not long speeches assume that they are replying in response to each others questions and answers.

The best way to approach it so it does not devolve to micro-posts with a single sentence is to take the conversation in context. I post questions, and Charles responds to them with answers and then questions of his own. Then in my next post I reply to his answers and questions.. then ask new questions at the bottom of my post. He is free to react to any question or answer I make and I try to counter-reply in order of the questions or responses he makes to my questions and responses. Just to keep the posts to a low minimum and keep the conversation moving. The actual 'order' of the questions and answers is not entirely all that important only the responses. When Charlie does not respond to a question or a reply - that I make I figure the conversation point is concluded and move on to the next point in the conversation.

Oh since Stormrage asked Charles Aldridge {note she will keep calling him by his full name - out of politeness and to make sure no social slight in incurred, until told only the first name is needed } to explain the functioning of her room conveniences... they are likely in her room as he shows her around briefly. I'm not sure if they closed the door don't see the need to and I'd think the Human marine would keep the door open in the presence of a strange though very lovely alien!

I have.. depending upon Charlie's answer to Storm's innocent request only one more post to make to end the conversation thread as storm says her goodbyes and gets to bed for some much needed rest.
PbP:
[IC] Deep Strike 'Lt' Kamielle Lynn
[IC] Cydonia Rising/Tempest Sonnidezi Stormrage
[IC] Incursion Maiannon Golden Hair
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

"...you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him."

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

sunphoenix wrote:Yeah, that's one of the failings of PbP conversations...

It is a back an forth conversation.. not long speeches assume that they are replying in response to each others questions and answers.

The best way to approach it so it does not devolve to micro-posts with a single sentence is to take the conversation in context. I post questions, and Charles responds to them with answers and then questions of his own. Then in my next post I reply to his answers and questions.. then ask new questions at the bottom of my post. He is free to react to any question or answer I make and I try to counter-reply in order of the questions or responses he makes to my questions and responses. Just to keep the posts to a low minimum and keep the conversation moving. The actual 'order' of the questions and answers is not entirely all that important only the responses. When Charlie does not respond to a question or a reply - that I make I figure the conversation point is concluded and move on to the next point in the conversation.

Oh since Stormrage asked Charles Aldridge {note she will keep calling him by his full name - out of politeness and to make sure no social slight in incurred, until told only the first name is needed } to explain the functioning of her room conveniences... they are likely in her room as he shows her around briefly. I'm not sure if they closed the door don't see the need to and I'd think the Human marine would keep the door open in the presence of a strange though very lovely alien!

I have.. depending upon Charlie's answer to Storm's innocent request only one more post to make to end the conversation thread as storm says her goodbyes and gets to bed for some much needed rest.
Please. Listen me out first before killing me because I am a non-player.

I played in few RP's at SpaceBattles.com and the solution to the problem is not colouring the fonts/words, but to make micro-quotes of each sentence that you want to reply seperately. Like this:

Code: Select all

POST of Player B:

[quote="Player A"]Name of Loroi: Says X1[/quote]

Name of Terran: Responds to it by Y1.

[quote="Player A"]Name of Loroi: Says X2[/quote]

Name of Terran: Responds to it by Y2.

...ect...

End of POST of Player B
Si vis pacem, para bellum. - If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

No not at all its a good suggestion actually! :)

I've played several PbP games and also do a bit of RP for sit-down games outside of the table session across e-mail and my comuity of players just assumed the most reasonable order to question/reply answer... but your idea has good merit!

OOC is the section for the outside observers to make commentary on the game as well as players. We just try to keep it civil and constructive criticism is appreciated. None of us players wants to violate the Cannon as presented by Arioch in our portrayal of our characters... though some must happen as we have a limited source of cannon to take our cues from it invariably will happen to some extent.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

sunphoenix wrote:No not at all its a good suggestion actually! :)

I've played several PbP games and also do a bit of RP for sit-down games outside of the table session across e-mail and my comuity of players just assumed the most reasonable order to question/reply answer... but your idea has good merit!

OOC is the section for the outside observers to make commentary on the game as well as players. We just try to keep it civil and constructive criticism is appreciated. None of us players wants to violate the Cannon as presented by Arioch in our portrayal of our characters... though some must happen as we have a limited source of cannon to take our cues from it invariably will happen to some extent.
Ok then.

What I propose to you is: get a profile on SB.com, get into the BROB section, and click on one of the IC RP threads there. Watch for a while and learn. Then return back.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Hi there!

I see several points in this discussion, that we need to discuss. As you know, I am new to GMing a PbP game, never played one before, too. So I just write down my thoughts about this mater with my limited experience on that topic.

1.)
but for clarity and avoiding the repeats, you could PM it with each other then compose the actual discussion.
Now I only wonder what sentence is followed by what.
Thats indeed a bit confusing, even to me. I really liked the funny conversation (that is still going on), but it is getting harder to follow. The two proposed solutions for that problem are: making a post together, or using micro quotes as Durabys suggests.

2.)
However, there is another thing that is bugging me: almost everyone is using his own way of marking what his character is thinking, saying or sanzaing. We should select a system for everyone and stick with it.
For example: {XYZ} = thoughts; {XYZ} = sanzai; [XYZ] = speech and colorize that with your characters color of choice. NPCs are always black. ;)

3.)
None of us players wants to violate the Cannon as presented by Arioch in our portrayal of our characters... though some must happen as we have a limited source of cannon to take our cues from it invariably will happen to some extent.
Thats important for me as a GM as well. I´m trying to stay as close to the canon as possible, but as sunphoenix said, there are areas that are not covered by the sources, so I have to adapt various things or invent new ones for the story. I hope you (and especially Arioch) don´t mind me doing that.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Hālian

Post by Hālian »

Why does speech have to be in brackets? Why can't it be in quotation marks?

Also, you can take my guillemets when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. :x
Don't delay, join today!

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

They are easier to recognize? 8-) However, thats why I wrote "for example"...
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Suederwind wrote:
They are easier to recognize? 8-) However, thats why I wrote "for example"...
Any wide accepted or enforced what of differentiation is fine. Although, I must profess my like of Brackets and these things --> {}.

I had a previous post but it disappeared, what ever is decided must be equally standardized and not limiting over much.

Yiuel

Post by Yiuel »

Suederwind wrote:Just to keep you updated: couldn´t finish the next story post, sorry for that. :oops: I hope to be able to post it tomorrow.
Quick thing, I had posted somethingbetween your answers. It seems you did not see it.
la nɔtʀʏltsɪmœ ʀɛv, dɛ ʒã puʀ la pʀɔtɛʒe
nu vœnõ dõkœ dœ tupaʀtu, puʀ ɛtʀœ sa ɡʀãdaʀme
dœ la site pʀɔtɛktœʀ, dœ sœ ʀɛvœ defãsœʀ
ynjõ dœ la fɔʀsœ dœ tus, nu vwasijalɔʀ lɛzɔʀiɔnɪt

- The Chant of A Certain Army

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I will reply tonight to Charlie's post.. no time right now.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Absalom

Post by Absalom »

Suederwind wrote:They are easier to recognize? 8-)
Only if you program in Objective-C, or hand-edit a lot of bbcode. ;) As an observer, I think double-quotes make more sense. Bold for "externalized" and normal for "internal" certainly has been a good idea, though. Helps the interaction-bits pop out of the text.
Charlie wrote:Any wide accepted or enforced what of differentiation is fine. Although, I must profess my like of Brackets and these things --> {}.
The name I know them by is "curly-brackets". There's probably a name that's more formal, though.

Edit: fixed typo.

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

Yiuel wrote:
Suederwind wrote:Just to keep you updated: couldn´t finish the next story post, sorry for that. :oops: I hope to be able to post it tomorrow.
Quick thing, I had posted somethingbetween your answers. It seems you did not see it.
I´m sorry, I must have missed that one. :shock:
However, you can either play it out before or after the meeting. I prefer if you do it afterwards. I hope thats ok.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Yiuel

Post by Yiuel »

I can play it out afterwards. It will save the plot.
la nɔtʀʏltsɪmœ ʀɛv, dɛ ʒã puʀ la pʀɔtɛʒe
nu vœnõ dõkœ dœ tupaʀtu, puʀ ɛtʀœ sa ɡʀãdaʀme
dœ la site pʀɔtɛktœʀ, dœ sœ ʀɛvœ defãsœʀ
ynjõ dœ la fɔʀsœ dœ tus, nu vwasijalɔʀ lɛzɔʀiɔnɪt

- The Chant of A Certain Army

sunphoenix

Post by sunphoenix »

I'm not post cause I'm waiting for a reply from Twilightsaber to Stormrage's answer.
PbP:
[IC] TdSmR Athen Rourke

Suederwind

Post by Suederwind »

I will write an answer for the Loroi and the Human side this evening or tonight.
[RP]Cydonia Rising [IC]

Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I will be out of action for a few days, I am going to a LAN.

I will be there from Friday till Sunday night.

Suederwind will act in my stead.

Durabys

Post by Durabys »

Da'aw!!! Romance. :oops: :cry:

Sweet holy mother of Jesus! This will be hilariously funny to watch unfold. :mrgreen: