Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Discussion regarding the Outsider webcomic, science, technology and science fiction.

Moderator: Outsider Moderators

Arioch
Site Admin

Re: Miscellaneous Loroi question-and-answer thread

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:14 pm
So this means that the images are very vague. Although, with archeological evidence, the Loroi should at least know how the Mozeret looked like. Do you perchance have any concept art that depicts them?
I don't have anything to show you at present, but they're essentially hairy centaurs.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:04 am
I don't have anything to show you at present, but they're essentially hairy centaurs.
It's not a problem, I was just slightly curious.

Two final questions:
1. Does the title Azerein hold any specific meaning as of itself, perhaps something derived from the legends, or is that a more "modern" term?
2. Would the commander of a citadel be a Torrai Torret or a Torrai Mazeit?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:04 am
Cthulhu wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:14 pm
So this means that the images are very vague. Although, with archeological evidence, the Loroi should at least know how the Mozeret looked like. Do you perchance have any concept art that depicts them?
A soon as I read this, I thought of the "K'kree" -- a similar species from a completely unrelated milieu.
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:11 pm
1. Does the title Azerein hold any specific meaning as of itself, perhaps something derived from the legends, or is that a more "modern" term?
It means the leader of an empire (azeras).
Cthulhu wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:11 pm
2. Would the commander of a citadel be a Torrai Torret or a Torrai Mazeit?
Depends, as stations vary greatly in size and role. A citadel typically has a Mallas or Torret responsible for the operation of the craft itself, but may also have higher ranking flag officer(s) if it's a major installation (a fleet HQ, sector HQ, or a multirole HQ/port/shipyard like Seren Citadel).

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:26 pm
Walked straight into that one. :D I guess asking what azeras means would be too much? Feel free to disregard that question if it's too nitpicky.
Arioch wrote:
Depends, as stations vary greatly in size and role. A citadel typically has a Mallas or Torret responsible for the operation of the craft itself, but may also have higher ranking flag officer(s) if it's a major installation (a fleet HQ, sector HQ, or a multirole HQ/port/shipyard like Seren Citadel).
How about the Azimol citadel? Also, what rank would command a division, a Torrai Mazeit?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:56 am
Arioch wrote:
Walked straight into that one. :D I guess asking what azeras means would be too much? Feel free to disregard that question if it's too nitpicky.
It means a group of states under a single supreme authority. Y'know... an "empire." 🤨
Cthulhu wrote:
Arioch wrote:
Also, what rank would command a division, a Torrai Mazeit?
A division is usually led by a Lashret or Soshret. A Mazeit is a senior captain who may or may not also be in command of a small group or squadron. In peacetime nearly every captain of a major capital ship would be a Mazeit, but in the current war situation you have groups like SG-51 with four squadrons, only one commanded by a Mazeit, and three being commanded by Torret one of whom wasn't even Torrai.
Cthulhu wrote:
How about the Azimol citadel?
It's... (unnecessarily) complicated. 😉

Azimol Citadel is an unusual example, because it's a Morat battle station in a Neridi system under Loroi martial law, which is also a Loroi sector command headquarters.

A major headquarters like Azimol usually has a number of stations; the main citadel and a network of satellite battle stations sometimes referred to as "tower" stations. The main citadel usually contains a squadron commander (Mazeit or Lashret) in charge of the battle stations, a sector commander (Tazites) who also has a sector flagship and fleet of variable size; there may also be one or more additional fleets or groups operating in or around the system (each commanded by a Lashret or Soshret).

In the case of Azimol Citadel, the Lashret in command of the station network is actually aboard one of the tower stations, and the main citadel itself is technically commanded by the Neridi governor of Azimol. However, the Loroi Tinza sector commander (Tazites) has her flagship docked to the citadel and she and her staff mainly use the citadel's facilities.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:36 am
It means a group of states under a single supreme authority. Y'know... an "empire." 🤨
I know too well what "empire" means. No, what I wanted to ask is the meaning of the word azeras itself, if you have assigned a meaning to it at all. Perhaps it is derived from original, pre-fall Trade, or it may be a newer post-fall invention.
Arioch wrote:
A division is usually led by a Lashret or Soshret. A Mazeit is a senior captain who may or may not also be in command of a small group or squadron. In peacetime nearly every captain of a major capital ship would be a Mazeit, but in the current war situation you have groups like SG-51 with four squadrons, only one commanded by a Mazeit, and three being commanded by Torret one of whom wasn't even Torrai.
Okay, I think that a Soshret should be the right choice for what I have in mind.
Arioch wrote:
It's... (unnecessarily) complicated. 😉

Azimol Citadel is an unusual example, because it's a Morat battle station in a Neridi system under Loroi martial law, which is also a Loroi sector command headquarters.

A major headquarters like Azimol usually has a number of stations; the main citadel and a network of satellite battle stations sometimes referred to as "tower" stations. The main citadel usually contains a squadron commander (Mazeit or Lashret) in charge of the battle stations, a sector commander (Tazites) who also has a sector flagship and fleet of variable size; there may also be one or more additional fleets or groups operating in or around the system (each commanded by a Lashret or Soshret).

In the case of Azimol Citadel, the Lashret in command of the station network is actually aboard one of the tower stations, and the main citadel itself is technically commanded by the Neridi governor of Azimol. However, the Loroi Tinza sector commander (Tazites) has her flagship docked to the citadel and she and her staff mainly use the citadel's facilities.
Thanks for the explanation, it seems that I picked out a particularly complicated stage for my fanfic. Fortunately, it doesn't need too much adjusting. In fact, this may even help to smooth out a few parts.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Cthulhu wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:18 pm
I know too well what "empire" means. No, what I wanted to ask is the meaning of the word azeras itself, if you have assigned a meaning to it at all. Perhaps it is derived from original, pre-fall Trade, or it may be a newer post-fall invention.
So you're asking about etymology?

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Cthulhu wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:18 pm
Arioch wrote:
Azeras means "empire." I don't know how many more different ways you expect me to say that.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

gaerzi wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:30 pm
So you're asking about etymology?
Exactly, perhaps I should've been clearer.
Arioch wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm
Azeras means "empire." I don't know how many more different ways you expect me to say that.
I wanted to learn of the word's etymological origins, sorry for being too annoying. :(
It's not that important anyway, just an idea to spice up some dialogue.

gaerzi

Post by gaerzi »

Arioch wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm
"Empire" means a lot of things when you dig into the history of the word a little.
SpoilerShow
From Middle English empire, from Old French empire, empere, from Latin imperium, inperium (“command, control, dominion, sovereignty, a dominion, empire”), from imperare, inperare (“to command, order”), from in (“in, on”) + parare (“to make ready, order”).
The Latin word imperium, referring to a magistrate's power to command, gradually assumed the meaning "The territory in which a magistrate can effectively enforce his commands", while the term "imperator" was originally an honorific meaning "commander". The title was given to generals who were victorious in battle. Thus, an "empire" may include regions that are not legally within the territory of a state, but are under either direct or indirect control of that state, such as a colony, client state, or protectorate. Although historians use the terms "Republican Period" and "Imperial Period" to identify the periods of Roman history before and after absolute power was assumed by Augustus, the Romans themselves continued to refer to their government as a republic, and during the Republican Period, the territories controlled by the republic were referred to as "Imperium Romanum". The emperor's actual legal power derived from holding the office of "consul", but he was traditionally honored with the titles of imperator (commander) and princeps (first man or, chief). Later, these terms came to have legal significance in their own right; an army calling their general "imperator" was a direct challenge to the authority of the current emperor.
As so we have etymologically related words like "imperious" or "imperative" that are not directly tied to the meaning of empire.
Inversely if we look at other real world languages, we can find translations of "empire" that have very different etymologies. Some are historically related as they come from "Caesar" (carstvo in Serbo-Croatian, keiserrijk in Dutch, kekaisaran in Indonesian through Dutch.) Others are cognates (basically meaning "territory of command") but with their own distinct etymology, like Khmer "ʼaanaacak".
But it's probably not fair to demand that much depth from a conlang, especially when the conlang is far from being the focus of the story. I figure Cthulhu is free to make up whatever he wants about the etymology and history of the terms "azeras" and "azerein" and it's exceedingly unlikely to be ever invalidated by the comic.

Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

gaerzi wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:16 pm
But it's probably not fair to demand that much depth from a conlang, especially when the conlang is far from being the focus of the story.
I didn't demand anything, especially since the Lexicon page clearly says that the language was created with the help of a generator. However, there was a slim chance that a particular word could have some deeper meaning, and the only way to find out was to ask.
gaerzi wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:16 pm
I figure Cthulhu is free to make up whatever he wants about the etymology and history of the terms "azeras" and "azerein" and it's exceedingly unlikely to be ever invalidated by the comic.
The part that would make use of this is still many chapters away, so perhaps I'll change it altogether.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

@ARIOCH: Forgive me if this has been asked already (I did search the topic); but does the Loroi military have something similar to our Navy's "Surface Warfare Rating", whereby any staff or line officer with this rating could theoretically assume command in the event of the bridge crew being lost or incapacitated?

For instance, a Mizol Parat with this rating assumes command from an auxiliary control center after a direct hit on the bridge that wipes out everyone above Torrai Sorimi . . . or would the Sorimi assume command instead?

Thanks!
“Qua is the sine qua non of sine qua non qua sine qua non.” -- Attributed to many

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:16 pm
@ARIOCH: Forgive me if this has been asked already (I did search the topic); but does the Loroi military have something similar to our Navy's "Surface Warfare Rating", whereby any staff or line officer with this rating could theoretically assume command in the event of the bridge crew being lost or incapacitated?

For instance, a Mizol Parat with this rating assumes command from an auxiliary control center after a direct hit on the bridge that wipes out everyone above Torrai Sorimi . . . or would the Sorimi assume command instead?
Each Loroi unit has an order of succession that runs from the top all the way to the bottom, but support castes like Mizol and Listel are very low on the list. In the shuttle for example, Talon is in command even though Tempo and Fireblade have higher ranks within their own castes.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

I see the Loroi are much more strict with this than IRL.  Theoretically, even a Chaplain (LtCmdr) with a SWA could take command, but only if ALL the line officers are incapacitated.  Personally, I would rather see a CPO BM or QM take charge.

Demarquis

Post by Demarquis »

" In the shuttle for example, Talon is in command even though Tempo and Fireblade have higher ranks within their own castes."

I presume that Talon nevertheless must treat her passengers with regard to the fact that those two outrank her pretty much everywhere else, and after they get off her craft, will have better connections than she does.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

@ARIOCH: All fanart aside, are there any "Privateers" in the Loroi Union?

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Demarquis wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:20 pm
" In the shuttle for example, Talon is in command even though Tempo and Fireblade have higher ranks within their own castes."

I presume that Talon nevertheless must treat her passengers with regard to the fact that those two outrank her pretty much everywhere else, and after they get off her craft, will have better connections than she does.
Any Navy Coxwain knows this to be true.  Even though you may be the "Captain" of the gig shuttling the Admiral and her staff to and from the flagship, you had better show sincere respect for your passengers or you may find yourself scrubbing out a CHT tank somewhere near Adak, Alaska.

Arioch
Site Admin

Post by Arioch »

Keklas Rekobah wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:39 pm
@ARIOCH: All fanart aside, are there any "Privateers" in the Loroi Union?
Because of the nature of jump drive and the fortified border systems, combatants don't have access to the interior of enemy territory, and so commerce raiding is not really possible. The raider groups that interdict enemy fleets in the Charred Steppes and other "no man's land" regions between the lines are the closest thing to commerce raiding.

Keklas Rekobah

Post by Keklas Rekobah »

Arioch wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:07 pm
. . . The raider groups that interdict enemy fleets in the Charred Steppes and other "no man's land" regions between the lines are the closest thing to commerce raiding.
So, no bounties on enemy assets and personnel, either?

Dang . . . there goes my fanfic . . . "Larry Stu & the Letters of Marque".